NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Power Valve on a Holley 4160

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 12:46pm
Andy,
I think I can handle that... Thank you kindly...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

trophyyride View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophyyride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 3:08am
Hi skicat. How can you handle it? I really love to see how can you do it. :D
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 3:09am
Well I am off to the lake tomorrow, but still have a question guys? After speaking with you on here, and emailing back and forth with Rick from Holley, he made me think twice about what I wuz gonna do. Install the 6.5 power valve, but he made a comment that make sure you have enough vacum at idle for that power valve. I, off course asked why and he said it will run to rich and run poorly. So I have no clue what power valve to put in there? I do not know my vacum is at idle, so does anyone have a suggestion to be on the safe side... "Pretty Please with sugar on top"... But off course I dont want it to run to lean neither...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 3:53am
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

Well I am off to the lake tomorrow, but still have a question guys? After speaking with you on here, and emailing back and forth with Rick from Holley, he made me think twice about what I wuz gonna do. Install the 6.5 power valve, but he made a comment that make sure you have enough vacum at idle for that power valve. I, off course asked why and he said it will run to rich and run poorly. So I have no clue what power valve to put in there? I do not know my vacum is at idle, so does anyone have a suggestion to be on the safe side... "Pretty Please with sugar on top"... But off course I dont want it to run to lean neither...

Never mind, got it...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 11:35am
sure?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 1:00pm
I'm just learning about carburetors myself, so take this with a grain of salt:

It sounds like, from what the guys have said above, that the higher number power valves, will open/add additional gas sooner on an acceleration curve. The lower number like a 2.5, will open later, further out on the acceleration curve.

The guy from Holley was probably telling you that the 6.5 will run "richer" because in a sense it will, it's giving you more fuel sooner.

Can you get a number off of your old power valve? If it was running fine and to your liking with that one for a long time, and simply got damaged, you're probably fine replacing it with whatever was in there.

I think some of the other guys were saying you'd get a little more throttle response with a higher number. But, I'd say if a 2.5 was working good for you before, you're probably good with a new 2.5.

Also, if replacing with the same PV doesn't fix it, then you can move on to something else to check, like ignition etc. If you change to a different power valve, you're kind of introducing new variables.
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2010 at 4:11pm
The norm for the 600-650 Holley is 6.5 and for most of the carbs. True when you stab the throttle the vacuum drops however it doesn't stay there unless you are pulling a load. Also if you know your prop vacuum drop at what RPM that helps as each prop is different as each boat.
the starting numbers are a guide as everything else. While wide open throttle you probably will still have 2-3 inches of vacuum,, again depend on many variables, engine, CFM, timing etc you get the picture. To back up these theories put on a vacuum gauge and run the boat thru its paces.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2010 at 2:38pm
After reading Allen's posts and TR' posts a little more, and I followed a little more on Holley's website on the 4160, learned alot about power valves and it finally clicked.lol Holley says standard vacum levels on a stock 4160 carb can run anywhere from 8-12 and the 6.5 is just about right.
Yesterday fixed the valve and gasket with a 6.5 and boat ran real good.
Had no probs or backfires. Fixed!
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2010 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

sure?

Nice boat...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2010 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

Nice boat...

Not certain i follow...
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic