NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FLOOD!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 8:56pm
Pete,
Some of the pics and articles I found showed that one of the flood gates closed, and I don't know that the others were fully open. Another article stated that they hoped to have the generators back in operation in a couple of years, and there had been some previous damage to the structure form earlier floods this year. They weren't spilling water like they were supposed to be able to do, but there is always the chance that that would not have been enough. Spillways are the last resort and might not have save anything that was on the lake, but may have saved the dam.

Just trying to spread a little insite, lakes are pretty important to most around hear, it will be interesting to get back to work and find out some more.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 9:33pm
Hell, I'm in one of the most remote parts of Whyoming for work and heard people talking about this! It would seen the news does not protray the magnitude of the event. Sorry to hear about your loss.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 12:20am
Hang in there guys, that looks terrible.
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 2:02am
Just got back from Delhi. We went from having a lake in front of the cabin, to the highest water levels recorded, to a river that is 10 feet lower than the lake all in 48 hours. Cherie, Helaina, and I are fine and as Josh already said the water got within about a foot of flooding our porch before the road next to the Dam gave way. Josh - that picture of the cabin is amazing considering we should have about 12 feet of bank leading down to the water.

Most of our neighbors on our road were not as lucky as we were and lost all of the contents of their homes or cabins. It was heart breaking to see all of their personal belongings ruined. Thank God no one was hurt in this disaster.

We are hoping that it won't be too long before the lake comes back. Josh - glad you and your Dad are OK. Sorry to hear about your uncle's boat.

-Phil

An LP tank leaking as it zips down the river. At least one of these exploded as it went over the dam.

Dock floating next to an air bubble trapped in the canopy of our boat lift.

Aftermath and the sand bar that is where we used to have about 3 feet of water.

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 2:40am
Thanks for the update Phil, Glad everything on your end is alright. If either of you need a hand this week or next week, let me know and I will gladly come help out.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 12:59pm
Unbelievable :( I was at Midwest Regionals all weekend and The Delhi team couldn't even attend. Awful situation.

Sorry Hawktique. Marty Menge is there helping out too.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 2:57pm
Missed this thread, been following in the news and on Facebook. Glad all the CCF'rs are okay and safe. It is a shame How did Hartwick Marina fair? Any chance to recover any of the CC that got loose?

Reading some of the news reports sounds like they are still questioning whether they rebuild, placing the decision at the foot of the lake association to fund. That is a bunch of Hooey, especially if the state would not let them open the flood gates. Need to be some serious negotiations going on about that! I sure hope the state or feds come through with some aid, I would hate to see Delhi go away.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 2:59pm
The marina had water about halfway up the roof....fully submerged. Not sure how many of their boats they got out. I "heard" they lost a couple brand new CC's in the show room/shed but not sure if that's true or not.

I agree that it needs to be rebuilt. Too many people's lifestyle down the drain there.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 3:05pm
Unfortunately it sounds like the Lake is soon to become public enemy number one. The media is harping on "private dam owned by the homeowners on the lake" as the cause. In all actuality, the state built the dam in the 20's to help flood control, and is a hydro-electric dam. They recently pushed the association to buy it so they could take it out of their budget. At the same time, the state wouldn't allow it to be a private lake. The public roadway/levy broke, not the dam. And it is the state who says to open and how much. The governor did vow to rebuild though.
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 3:08pm
I heard all the same things Hawk. Thanks for clarifying. I knew you would know a little more about it than myself.

I hope Chet helps Delhi rebuild it all.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 3:13pm
Media better go back through and read its own stories! Several said the Homeowners Association did an excellent job keeping the maintenance up to date on the damn. Josh, like you said it seems, the issues seem to be with the levy and roadway and it sounds like the state was still responsible for those. Keep us up to date on how it goes, you know how it is with us native Iowan's - the whole you can take the boy out of IA thing...
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 3:15pm
Hawk, Marty and Brian said Marty's teal '92 went through the dam :( Bet you had quite a few pulls behind that in your day no?

That made me pretty sad.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 3:23pm
So lets see some more pics.

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 4:03pm
Got an inside track with Chet and heard he is pushing strongly for them to rebuild. I hope Hartwick can recover and rebuild bigger and better. It would be a shame to see a company with that much history go down like this. I can't imagine all the history that is already lost with all the old boats up there.
Lvnspeed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lvnspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 9:17pm
Dude this suck I am sorry to hear it.

Not to be a jeck but what happens to the boats that are flooded? Any way to find out where they go? I would love to get my hands on a newer v-drive boat.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Lvnspeed Lvnspeed wrote:

Dude this suck I am sorry to hear it.

Not to be a jeck but what happens to the boats that are flooded? Any way to find out where they go? I would love to get my hands on a newer v-drive boat.

Sorry here but you may need to clarify what a "jeck" is??? Jerk??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2010 at 10:31pm
I got to see more of this tragic story on the weather channel earlier. Saw a CC floating down the river, what a sad sight. Hope things get better there...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 1:17am
I saw boats around 4 miles downstream in farm fields. The land owners are instructed to report anything on their property (description, registration #'s, etc.) Then most likely the insurance companies will take possession when they pay out.
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
Lvnspeed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lvnspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

I got to see more of this tragic story on the weather channel earlier. Saw a CC floating down the river, what a sad sight. Hope things get better there...

sorry I ment Jerk...

Does anyone know what happens to these boats after the insurance companies pay off the currect owners? I would love to get my grubby paws on a nice v-drive boat.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 1:34pm

sorry I ment Jerk...

Does anyone know what happens to these boats after the insurance companies pay off the currect owners? I would love to get my grubby paws on a nice v-drive boat.

Who you calling a jerk, jerk? I think you are missing the point dude (no name) people on this site our suffering and you are looking to benefit. Find out some where else goofy ass...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 1:36pm
Lee, you really need to learn how to read.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 1:37pm
[/QUOTE]Who you calling a jerk, jerk? I think you are missing the point dude (no name) people on this site our suffering and you are looking to benefit. Find out some where else goofy ass... [/QUOTE]

Thanks SkiCat :) My buddy's old '92 196 which he had for about 10 years went through the dam we hear. Doesn't matter if it's not even yours anymore, it still hurts!

And yea, newbie dude was calling himself a jerk. So, I'll give him that at least ;)
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Lee, you really need to learn how to read.

TR,
I understand but I wuz looking his main point. He wants to find out where these boats go, and get his grubby hands on a v-drive. While people are watching there joy, hard work, and family fun float away for no reason because a damb decideds to break. And a A-Hole like that got to benefit off people's sadness. Thats why I replied like that.

It's like that commercial Cheez It crackers, go get your own box...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 2:00pm
Wow you guys, that completely sucks.. Sure things can be rebuilt better, but all cabins and classic boats have history and a story behind them. All because of ownership and fingerpointing.... And all over a frigg'n summer carnival. What BS..

Josh, Phil, Chris, let us know if any of us can help in any way..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 2:00pm

sorry I ment Jerk...

Who you calling a jerk, jerk? I think you are missing the point dude (no name) people on this site our suffering and you are looking to benefit. Find out some where else goofy ass...

Lee,
Well said.    Yes, he did miss the point - benefiting from others misfortunes!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

Who you calling a jerk, jerk? I think you are missing the point dude (no name) people on this site our suffering and you are looking to benefit. Find out some where else goofy ass... [/QUOTE]

Thanks SkiCat :) My buddy's old '92 196 which he had for about 10 years went through the dam we hear. Doesn't matter if it's not even yours anymore, it still hurts!

And yea, newbie dude was calling himself a jerk. So, I'll give him that at least ;)[/QUOTE]

You bet...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Hawktique Hawktique wrote:

I saw boats around 4 miles downstream in farm fields. The land owners are instructed to report anything on their property (description, registration #'s, etc.) Then most likely the insurance companies will take possession when they pay out.

So back to the matter at hand. Josh, when you saw these boats was there any hope for restoring them. Since there appears to be so many CC's that were damaged, and with the expertise of the people on this site, all the offers to help, and generally being geographically close, what about setting up a weekend to help do some restorative efforts. We could hold a mini reunion near Delhi, and help owners restore the boats. It would be a mini reunion centered around tech sessions that help put these boats back together, lots of hands on experience. Undoubtedly their is a lot of damage to the underwater hardware, which their is a lot of expertise on this site.   I guess we would need to have someone see who needs help and what each boat needs. It would take a lot of coordination, but it would sure be a neat way to help out these folks.
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 2:48pm
I didn't get close to get any looks. Most of the boats will be on private property. The state parks just downstream are closed, and too muddy to be able to do any hiking. I'll wait a good week or so and stick to the public areas to get a good look. Even though the lake is gone, the stream is still in flood stages.
buzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 5:47pm
              TO ALL WHO HAVE BEEN AFFECTED BY THIS TRAGEDY PERSONALY , We are saddened by the pictures and video's. These image's are worse than I,and most people would have believed. Our thought's and prayer's are with everyone.
wetwilli
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2010 at 7:25pm
This is a sad story indeed. My heart goes out to all of those affected... and all of those lost classic CC's
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic