Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Glen somthing marine 1960's kits?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
hoppi 13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppi 13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glen somthing marine 1960's kits?
    Posted: August-02-2010 at 2:11am
Hay Pete what can you tell me about thies boats? How bout the early 60's 327 with aluminum exaust? I here the Trans went to pieces?
Blessed Are The Flexable For They Shall Be Bent!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 7:26am
"Glen-L"?? They're still around. Glen-L
There were several 327's in the 60's marinized by several companies. Some did have aluminum manifolds. More details would help. Is this a Glen-L automotive conversion you're asking about?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 1:17pm
I still buy by parts from Glenwood AKA Glen-L.
Their web site is pretty good I have the plans for a Tornado that My son put on Auto Cad and we are planning on cutting out on a C&C router.
https://www.boatdesigns.com/18-Tornado-low-profile-v-drive-ski-boat/products/263/
(Would use the hyperlink but that does not seem to work right now)
Jody
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 2:00pm
Should be a fun project. I've been following the projects on the Glen-L site for years, but unfortunately dont have the resources right now to take on a project. Here is the most recent Tornado project documented there. I'd say he did a pretty good job. Glad his wife made him move the project from the living room to the garage, that could have been a real problem getting it out, if he hadn't.

tornado build
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 2:33pm
Wow! Plenty Cool!!
Their are a couple of guy's racing them in a nostalgia class. you can not go over 80 mph.
Glen L Witt designs have been around for a long time. Tried and tru!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 2:54pm
I stared at their crackerbox plans for years, but it wasnt really what I wanted. Their plan is more for a smaller scale gentlemans racer, which is fine, in fact this one is a work of art.

But that style just was not what I wanted. I wanted old c-box racer plans, which I finally got, an old hand drawn set from Harlan Orran. If and when I ever take it on, there's going to be a lot of design on the go, as about the only thing the plans show is the 14 frames (as compared to about 6 frames in the Glan-L plans) Not sure why such a difference unless its more structure to handle the speeds of the racing hulls. Another confusion is that Harlan said these were wickens plans, but the deck in the plans has quite a crown, and the wickens boats don't (unlike the one in the background)
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2010 at 12:29am
wow just went through the collection of projects on the web site the riviera and monaco are something but the barrel back 19 /20 '   any guess's on cost to build something like that if you had a donor for the mechanicals? . i guess it would be the wood products , windshield and chrome you would have to figure out. I bet you could scavenge drive train steering rudder etc from a donor.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
hoppi 13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppi 13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2010 at 2:46am
W.T.F. Im.A Newbe. Asked some ?s About My recnt purchas, 1967 S,N,Blah, Blah,Blah. I ask off topic about an old boat I saw In a barn somewhere in middel America & I get 14 responses? Interesting!Evan Jody Hit! Its Alive!!! Pete I told Yuo Im polish! Buy first ask ?s later? I dont no If Automotive Conversion? Aluminum Exaust manns. imbossed Glenwood? steel valve covers. I need to do some more research?       Thanks for all the info offered here today! its been interesting! ounce again sweet dreams    Mike.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2010 at 3:05am
Mike,
I've got a couple of sets of aluminum exhaust manifolds for SBC's. one is a "Rayson" brand, the others are "Cal-Marine".   Lots of companies made em, including Edelbrock and Nicson.

A set of those .... the SBC aluminum marine tri-power intake I've got... Last week I just bought a Vertex magneto... mannn, life dont get much better!

BTW, Most of the early crackerboxes didnt even have trannys....good ol "point and shoot" !!

Pretty cool stuff!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
hoppi 13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppi 13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2010 at 3:34am
Ok, I thought I was going to bed? Steve Hello. You got Any Aluminum Exaust Mans. For the poly heads? How Bout Alumn. valve Covers? for The same? Maby I should Ask the Guy who bought Kingston Auto? Lot o mopar Guys Aroud here I.E. the Bellevader plant. Did thay build the Fury there? Good nite     Mike
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2010 at 3:39am
Mike,
No Hi Po stuff for the Poly.

GOOD LUCK on the aluminum Poly valve covers! VERY hard to find.. if you do ..get the wallet out....probably $500 to600.

Wouldnt mind finding some for my 66 'cuda.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2010 at 12:54pm
I built a glen-L boat, the Auddeen. It took a couple of years but was an enjoyable project. Powered by a 318 Poly out of an old CC. Hopefully my next project will be a Cracker Box as well.   

Here is a video link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynneuyn2VCs

FrankT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic