Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Burning Through Distributor Points?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
robertbruder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burning Through Distributor Points?
    Posted: August-02-2010 at 3:29am
So it seems like I keep taking my Martinique back to the Marina week after week with no resolve to the same problem.

The problem seems to be the the motor is not getting spark.

I bought a new ignition coil and it sparks every time with a spark tester.

So I took it into the marina and they told me that the ignition points were corroded and they filed them down. Boat starts great at ramp. We run around the lake for a while and decide to go swimming. Kill the engine can't get it to fire again, although it turns over and there appears to be no strain on the battery.

So I took it into the Marina again and they told me that I must have burnt through the points and they replaced the points.

So the last time I had the boat out no problems with it starting. Today I took it out and ran it pretty hard. At the end of the day I went to start it to head back to the Marina and the same thing. It would turn over but wouldn't fire.

Has anyone had a similar issue with a distributed ignition system? I am thinking about having a mechanic install an electronic ignition system. Has anyone had this conversion done / recommend doing this?

Current: 1988 Sierra Supreme
Past: 1986 Correct Craft Martinique, 1984 Ski Supreme, 1984 Bare Foot Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 7:00am
The point set will burn up real quick with a bad capacitor!! Hopefully this isn't another N3 issue??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 10:36am
I bought a 429 Prestolite electronic distributor off ebay for $100. It was brand new w/o box. It is a drop in for a 351RR but you'll have to swap you original gear onto it. Shop around.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 12:34pm
No not an N3 issue.

I took it to the Marina on the lake. I'm taking it to a Correct Craft Mechanic from now on. A friend in the area said it cost him $125 parts + and an hour of labor to have an electronic ignition put in and he hasn't had a problem since.

So Pete you are saying I need an entirely new distributor cap?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 12:57pm
all you need to do is replace the capacitor in the distributor next to the points and replace the ballast resistor too one or the other is bad or both and they are cheap and you can do it yourself.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 7:05pm
Robert,
No on the cap. Just as Chris confirmed, it's a bad capacitor burning up the point contacts. The capacitor is in there to "quench" the arching of the current when the point contacts open. DC current has the nasty habit of wanting to continue in the patch it was going so when a contact is opened, a arch is created. This erodes the contact surface real quick.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 10:06pm
Thanks guys.

Chris, do you know of anywhere around here were I could get parts? I tried NAPA but they didn't have anything in stock. Should I order marine specific parts or are they the same in this case?

Thanks again,
Rob
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 10:30pm
Rob,
The capacitor and point set is not marine specific. Go back into Napa with the distributor number and have them order the parts. Hopefully they still have a "old timer" behind the counter that can still do it!! With my local Napa I have had some issues with lately. Kids on the computer"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 10:39pm
Thanks Pete. Will do. The kid at Napa definitely responded with, "My computer doesn't tell me what you need."
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 11:11pm
some folks here dont like them b/c they dont support the site anymore but skidim.com has what you need, and no kids on their computers! Real folks.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 11:34pm
When my Dad had his Shamrock,it was never in fresh water.He started going thru condencers like crazy.PCM told him to check the distributor ground.Sure enough it was corroded at the base of the distributor and the clamp. Since it was a center console it was hard to see in there so he had overlooked it.Didn't have any trouble after that,so check that too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2010 at 2:58am
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

some folks here dont like them b/c they dont support the site anymore but skidim.com has what you need, and no kids on their computers! Real folks.

I buy a lot of stuff from SKIDIM however I could not find the parts needed under the distributor sub section

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2010 at 3:01am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

When my Dad had his Shamrock,it was never in fresh water.He started going thru condencers like crazy.PCM told him to check the distributor ground.Sure enough it was corroded at the base of the distributor and the clamp. Since it was a center console it was hard to see in there so he had overlooked it.Didn't have any trouble after that,so check that too.

Thanks Gary. I'll check the ground as well.

rjljtbrents5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjljtbrents5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2010 at 1:58am
ive got a 66 cuda with a poly and installed a pertronix upgrade and no problems since. more responsive too.
RYAN

66'CUDA SS
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2010 at 2:32am
the pertronix is not popular around here....
I have one installed on a car that has a 350 sbc..been runing it for the last 2 years with no issues...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2010 at 9:05am
Originally posted by rjljtbrents5 rjljtbrents5 wrote:

ive got a 66 cuda with a poly and installed a pertronix upgrade and no problems since. more responsive too.

"More responsive"? Only because the point set you took out were probably shot!! "Upgrade"? I feel different. Good luck!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2010 at 12:05pm
I'm going to try the ballast and capacitor first before spending the money on the electronic ignition. Although at this point of paying the repair bill twice to have the Marina fix the symptom and not the problem it would have been cheaper and easier to replace the entire system from the start. Oh well, hind sight is 20/20 as they say.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic