NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

82 - 2001 Ballast Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 82 - 2001 Ballast Help
    Posted: August-05-2010 at 1:49am
I need some help picking out what ballast I can put into my 2001.   I have read that in my 2001 if I put one large bag in the back the wake gets very steep which I have seen when people are sitting on the back seat. I also want to get some bags that I can eventually put in a v-drive I plan on buying in the future.

Would it work if I get two of these and put them next to the engine? Would they fit?

V-Drive Sacs

Then I could put both on one side for surfing. I think 800 lbs would be plenty for me for a while. Thoughts?

And what pumps should I buy? Which ones are the best?

Thanks for the help!
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2010 at 2:02am
They will fit beside your motor box.

They may or may not fit in your V-Drive. If you buy a 2002 or newer super air with the built in wedge tanks, they won't fit. However, you can still use them, you just might not be able to fill them up all the way. I use the same size bags in my 2001 VDrive for surfing. Rarely use any ballast for wakeboarding because I'm not good, and don't need the ballast. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2010 at 2:04am
P.S. I assume your not going to plumb in the bags into your 82, so for now, you'll only need 1 pump. I use the Tsunami pump with the quick connect to the bags. Works pretty well. Has a cigarette lighter power cord. BKH
Livin' the Dream

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2010 at 2:06am
Those are probably fine, I have done the 440lb covered models on the side of the engine box, and the 350 pound v sacks with the nylon straps around and both work awesome as a pair next to the box with just one or two people in the boat.. with a couple more people I just put one in front of the back seat.. I would expect the 400's will give you plenty of options, but I would want someone else to give you some feedback on if those will hold up out of a locker or not.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2010 at 2:11am
Ok, good points. Yes I am not going to plumb them in so I think the single pump will work. I will need to install a few cigarette sockets because when I did my rebuild I didn't install any but that should take me only a few minutes.

Reading the reviews it seems like they will hold up outside of the locker. It says they are made of some pretty thick material. I am looking on ebay now to see if I can find some at a decent deal.

Joe when I built my floor I used 4lb foam and three layers of matt. I would think that should hold up to the weight of these no problems right?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2010 at 2:20am
If you can stand on the floor then the fat sack aint gonna be an issue a 200 lb guy on size 11 feet is putting many times more psi on the floor than that 400 lb sack
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2010 at 2:23am
Cool! Thanks, that is what I thought. Just like to be safe! The floor is now on it's second season and has been holding up great so I don't think I will have any problems.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2010 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by akabulla akabulla wrote:

Ok, good points. Yes I am not going to plumb them in so I think the single pump will work. I will need to install a few cigarette sockets because when I did my rebuild I didn't install any but that should take me only a few minutes.

Reading the reviews it seems like they will hold up outside of the locker. It says they are made of some pretty thick material. I am looking on ebay now to see if I can find some at a decent deal.

Joe when I built my floor I used 4lb foam and three layers of matt. I would think that should hold up to the weight of these no problems right?

You will only need one electrical. My boat is larger than yours, and cord reaches no problems regardless of where I am placing the ballast.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2010 at 2:34pm
only problem with cigarette sockets is that they are usually china made and after some uses they won´t hold and you get pissed off..as someone needs to hold it in place to get a good conection..try to get a good quality set....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2010 at 3:00pm
you can put alligator clips on the pump and just connect to your battery directly.
800lbs in a 2001 = nice wake.
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2010 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by MI-nick MI-nick wrote:

you can put alligator clips on the pump and just connect to your battery directly.
800lbs in a 2001 = nice wake.

that how I connect mine...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2010 at 6:51pm
Perfect! Thanks for the help guys!

I ordered the 2 400s and the Tsunami pump. I have wanted to put an external plug on my observer seat to make it easier to hook up my trickle charger so maybe I will install that now and just wire the pump to the plug I install and will have a quick connection for it.

Thanks again for the help!
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2010 at 11:53pm
Two 350s, ends sitting about a foot forward of the rear seat, one on each side of the engine. Add a couple of teenagers in the back seat and you really have something. Got mine off craigs list for 100$ used (launch pads), Pump from wake slayer ( Thanks Mike, it works great.)
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

rmm025 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmm025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2010 at 12:21am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Two 350s, ends sitting about a foot forward of the rear seat, one on each side of the engine. Add a couple of teenagers in the back seat and you really have something. Got mine off craigs list for 100$ used (launch pads), Pump from wake slayer ( Thanks Mike, it works great.)

I agree, usually just me and another buddy or two and we put 2 450's almost touching the back seat and my icechest between motor box and rear seat. Best combo of wake and control. If I put them up even with the motorbox, I can't seem to hold speed as well. Move them back to the seat and 22-24 holds nicely.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2010 at 1:58am
Ok cool! I will move them around a bit and try to figure out where the best wake is produced! Thanks again!

Later
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2010 at 12:25pm
I just bought a 20/20/50 fatsac (750lbs) with a Tsunami pump to use in my 2001SN.I was planning to use it as a back seat. My son has been into wakeboarding this summer, and this seems cheaper than a new boat! I will post how it works out.

I did some wakesurfing a couple of weeks ago, and my buddy had several kids and about 1200lbs in his 2006 SN. It was barely out of the water on one side. It was pretty fun, but it was a lot of work to drive the boat and set everything up. Not my gig.    
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2010 at 2:04pm
I use a jump pack to power my pump. Some have a 12V socket, some just jumper cables. Fairly light and portable and puts no stress on boat battery. I usually fill/drain mine at the dock and don't even need to keep it on board.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2010 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

I use a jump pack to power my pump. Some have a 12V socket, some just jumper cables. Fairly light and portable and puts no stress on boat battery. I usually fill/drain mine at the dock and don't even need to keep it on board.

Good idea!   
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2010 at 4:18pm
With the engine running there shouldn't be to much stress on the battery right?

I like the idea of being able to fill and drain while out on the lake so if I want to change the configuration of the bags from wake boarding to surfing I would have access to the pump.

I can't image moving a 400lb fatsac will be that easy once full.

I am still waiting on my stuff to be delivered. I can't wait!
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2010 at 4:33pm
A friend of mine (big wakesurfer) told me he had a ton of weight in the boat, and a big storm blew in. They were really fighting getting the weight out of the boat on the way to the ramp. Kind of scared him!Everyone has their own "routine" in boating, depending on their situation. I rarely venture far from the dock while skiing, and one sac isnt a ton of weight compared to what some folks are putting in the boat!

You cant move them when they are full! If you were in a bind, just open the sac and let the bilge pump it out!
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2010 at 7:53pm
This is what 1000 looks like so you should be happy with 800....for now. I am not a very good rider but man adding an extra 400 to bump mine up to 1400 makes it such a nice wake.

"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2010 at 12:52am
I like! How fast and how long is your rope?

Later
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2010 at 1:19am
im 6'2 also btw. I want to upgrade to 800s per side of the box or get a couple of 300s to put on top of my 500s.

I ride at 23-24 around 70-75 feet. I am not exactly sure of the length
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2010 at 10:57pm
Well, I ran the 750 lb fatsac this weekend. i tried it in both the 95 and the 82SN . The wake seemed better in the 82. Even with three or four people in the boat the boat was very controllable. The platform was under water about an inch or so. The Tsunami pump got backordered. I just went to Walmart and got a Tsunami 500 gph pump and some clear hose from Lowes. It had a threadable thru hull fitting that screwed right into the fatsac. All for about $35. So, I will cancel the pump order. I wired a plug with some extra wire. Works fine. Only issue, is it is a bit of a pain getting in and out of the back of the boat. Not sure if two 350Lbs on both sides of the motor might be better for folks that cant take the back seat out easily.

pic in 95 snob 18.5mph

akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 12:52am
I will let you know tomorrow how it works out. I got the two 400lbs in on Friday with the pump. I also made this puppy this weekend so I will test this out as well. I saw a picture of something similar someone made and decided to try to make one. It will follow the wakeboarder as the rope moves side to side. Should be pretty cool if I set it up right.

akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 2:08am
Hey guys just wanted to let you know the two 400lbs rocked! Wake was very nice at 22 mph. Not to steep but large and very solid. I could hit it pretty hard and it just launched.

The boat drove very different. We had the two fat sacs and 4 people and you could really feel the weight in the handling of the boat but overall the wake was a LOT better. My little camera mount worked really good as well. It tracked the person dead on.

All I have to do is pipe one bag to the other to speed up the filling and draining process.

Thanks again!
andeman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 10:58am
Originally posted by rmm025 rmm025 wrote:

Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

I agree, usually just me and another buddy or two and we put 2 450's almost touching the back seat and my icechest between motor box and rear seat. Best combo of wake and control. If I put them up even with the motorbox, I can't seem to hold speed as well. Move them back to the seat and 22-24 holds nicely.

wakeboardin2k4 Do you place your sac's right up behind the drivers seat or do you have them back some what like these guys?
I really like the look of your wake
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 11:49am
Originally posted by andeman andeman wrote:

wakeboardin2k4 Do you place your sac's right up behind the drivers seat or do you have them back some what like these guys?
I really like the look of your wake

That's with them in the same place as everyone else. I will say I have some wet foam in my boat...probably a lot. If I ever get new sacs I'd get 750s. I don't do any special tricks but having a bug wake and going huge is a lot of fun
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 1:50pm
Does your Tsunami pump connections lock onto the bag? I twisted mine and it locked in but didn't snap in and stay there and we had to hold it on the bag the entire time it was pumping and the same for emptying. Kinda sucks.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2010 at 2:23pm
aka, if you are referring to my setup. You remove the filler plug completely from the fatsac, not just the cap. The pump came with a threaded end to go thru a hull. I cut half of the threads off. The cutoff piece is attached to a piece of tubing. To pump water out, I screw the pump into the fatsac and put a piece of tubing running out of the boat. To fill the sac, I screw the tubing with the threaded end into the sac and put the pump into the water. Not perfect, but works. You can by some quick couples from Fatsac with various ends (barbed, threaded,etc) for around $7 each. I almost ordered some, but decided I really didnt want to spend any more money on wakeboarding!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic