NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Complete Electrical Failure??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
78skinautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Complete Electrical Failure??
    Posted: August-06-2010 at 2:19am
I just got my boat out for the first time after getting my rebuilt starter going and noticed the alternator was not charging for some reason.. I started the boat and checked the alternator while running at about 2K RPM's in neutral and the alternator is putting out some 18-22V while running, but for some reason the juice is not making it to the battery? The Volt Meter was dropping the whole time after say a 10-15 minute ride around the lake, if that. Started at 12V and then dropped all the way to 8 on the dash gage. So I pulled it in at home and parked it, then tried to turn it over and nothing, battery was dead.. Charged it for a couple hours, and then started it back up, (this is when I checked the voltage from the alternator and it read 18-22v) and so I thought maybe it's one of those phantom bugs that comes and goes? So I took it back out again, and checked to see what it did, and still it was loosing power. Then when on my way back to the dock after realizing this. The whole boat shut down.. no power to anything. The whole boat had a complete electrical failure. It was dark at this point so I couldn't really see if something had come loose. I wont know till tomorrow when I go down there in the day light. Anyone ever heard of anything like this? Any idea's as to what to look at tomorrow when it's light out?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2010 at 10:55am
replace the alternator with a new style internal regulated alternator, you've been running off the batttery's juice all this time, the regulator is junk gving the high reading or you on the wrong post, you should only see about 14-15 volts at best from the alternator
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2010 at 10:59am
I'd also consider getting a new battery (not deep cycle) since the high volt charge probably damaged it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
78skinautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2010 at 5:26pm
Yeah I have a new battery. Is there any way that the alternator dying would cause a total electrical failure though? Where would you suggest I get a single wire alternator? Skidim has an alternator that says requires a 1 inch spacer for a commander marine 351, is that what I need?

Any other locations you know that I can find one?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic