NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What next? STILL not running right?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What next? STILL not running right?
    Posted: October-29-2010 at 10:42am
So it was a fuel issue! You didn't tell us you replaced the fuel pump. I find it interesting that your engine can handle a lot more prop than ours.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2010 at 11:16pm
My original wheel is pretty tough too. The hub had pieces broken out in two places, as well as cracks in the spokes/rim. I got the hub built back up with epoxy last winter...and then it sat all summer. It makes a good "cold weather" project.

Guess they just dont make 45 year old wheels like they used to?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2010 at 10:37pm
I did get the wheel. It may be more then I am up for, its in really rough shape. Still weighing the options... Also at looking at sending it out for restoration. We'll see what happens.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2010 at 10:21pm
Thanks guys..

even after my buddy went out with me that day, and we thought we had it figured out, it was hard to get too excited right then and there. I had been disappointed too many times this summer.

Like I was saying. I still have some carb tuning and prop pitch issues to figure out next spring.

btw, Steve did you get that wheel for your dads boat,hows it look?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2010 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Steve, that is absolutely GREAT news. Also I bet Pete will be happy to use this a classic example to "Keep it original!"

That is good news Steve,at least you won't have think about it all winter now.

And to our other Steve,before I read your post,I was thinking the same
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2010 at 5:55pm
Just in time to put it away for the winter!!!

It'll make the muscatine show that much more enjoyable! Cant wait ti FINALLY GO!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2010 at 5:43pm
Steve, that is absolutely GREAT news. Also I bet Pete will be happy to use this a classic example to "Keep it original!"

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2010 at 5:40pm

A few weeks ago I had a friend go out with me. I was running a 12x10 and had installed a temporary fuel pressure gauge and a downdraft carb. Ran great ...for about 30 seconds. About 5 seconds before it would fall flat on her face, the fuel pressure dropped to zilch. At idle she would run 8 to 9 lbs.

After some dinking around - trying a few different things, we came to the conclusion the electric fuel pump at the gas tank was the culprit. (the only pump I had been running for the past 4 years). The guy that rebuilt my mechanical pump last summer told me it was ok to leave it there. Wrong! Talking with Billy, he said the mechanical pump can actually pull the anti-drainback valve closed...shutting off the fuel supply. (after thinking a bit more about that, wouldnt the mechanical pump pull the valve open?) Anyway, we eliminated that pump completely and it is RUNNING!

The other thing with the electric pump is, sometimes it worked ...sometimes it didnt. Soooo, after screwing away most of the summer, looks like it ended up being something so simple.

I've run it 4 or 5 hrs since. I still need too get the prop and carb dialed in, but it did run. I never thought I'd be so happy to have a 6 banger running!

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 11:51pm
I may try the wd40 next time out for kicks. I'm hoping to get a 1bbl downdraft carb adapted to it. That will eliminate the sidedraft and the SS adapter I made. ... not sure when I'll get time to try that tho.

Also hope to get a "non-boating" buddy that messes with older stuff to go out with me sometime to see what he thinks.

BTW, you guys call them snowmachines out your way also!?? I think the guys from MN and SD call them that as well. We call them sleds...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

scared you guys off with that one   

Peter,
You didn't scare us off. If you read the thread in it's entirety, you would have noticed we already tried to see if the engine was starving for gas!! BTW, it's not!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 9:20pm
scared you guys off with that one   
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 5:22pm
sorry went back and reread ... try running it without the cover shoot some w d on spray into carb when it feels topped out rpm wise see if the rpms pick up it will at least tell you if its a wot fuel starvation issue (I know it sounds weird but it works on snow machines when you cant tell its leaning out from fuel delivery) plus w d burns when atomized and is safer than any other spray i can think of.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 5:13pm
when it falls flat on its face ...has anyone run it without the engine cover and a either a temp clear gas line or a glass fuel filter to see if it in fact running out of gas? or vac locking somehow? and when you say falls flat . does it slowly diminish power and revs or is it sudden
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 4:35pm
Thanks for offering the input.. at this point anything is appreciated!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Brian,
I cant imagine valve float issues. the head has solid lifters and new valves and springs. One thing that did change a little is the rocker geometry...the head was milled .060 ..

Just figured I'd throw that one out there, it does seem like a long shot. Just running low on stones to overturn.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 3:01pm
Brian,
I cant imagine valve float issues. the head has solid lifters and new valves and springs. One thing that did change a little is the rocker geometry...the head was milled .060 ..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 2:44pm
It's almost like you have some kind of invisible governor restricting it.

Any chance you're running into a valve float issue? Not sure how you would even test for this as it would be compression loss at higher RPMs.

I'm just thinking with the head swap, maybe the pushrods aren't following the same path anymore and maybe causing something in the valve-train to bind?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 2:39pm
Steve, We ran ours this past weekend with the new solid fuel line. The tach is a little crazy as at times it reads 3800 at WOT and at other times it reads 4500 at WOT, but the engine sounds the same. With a 12x8 it turned in 31.7 MPH.

So your runs 3000 regardless of the prop that it is turning? That is strange.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 2:24pm
UPDATE....
last weekend changes...

1)changed prop from 12x12 to 12x10.

2)put new Autolite 45 spark plugs

3) made a 'reducer gasket' with a 1 3/8" hole to install below the SS adapter elbow I made. This was done to mimick the hole size of the original elbow adapter.

4) check fuel pressure..9psi

RESULTS??

Went up to 3 grand...on plane....then fell on its face.. just like it did at 2200R's.

I did find a couple of old 1bbl downdraft carbs. Hoping to try and jury-rig one of those to eliminate sidedraft and adapter el..

signed,
getting old and tired.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 3:41pm
Hey... I used a buffer at GL...

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

You sound just like Obama with that comment Timmy.

"That was what I said, just not what I meant."

I may be wrong , but the tool I have seen you use the most is a BUFFER at Green Lake.That requires a lot of trouble shooting ability don't it?????

Some more great Boat Dr. posts.

Forget your meds again today, Billy?

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 3:16pm
You sound just like Obama with that comment Timmy.

"That was what I said, just not what I meant."

I may be wrong , but the tool I have seen you use the most is a BUFFER at Green Lake.That requires a lot of trouble shooting ability don't it?????
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

This was the reason for the Obviously too large a prop.The motor would only rev to 3000, add a large prop and we can use it as is. Not to correct the problem, but make the boat usable.

Doc, dont mention it.

If the prop has been eliminated thats terrific- Steve's first post implied that a 12x13 (possibly unknown?) was swapped on at the same time as the new head, whereas he had been running a 12x12 previously. Sorry for the confusion. I clearly dont know the ins and outs of this engine nor its history well enough to comment beyond what I thought was an obvious thing to eliminate as a variable, and I did not mean to imply otherwise.

Carry on.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 2:56pm
wonder if two cylinders wires are crossed and not matched to the cam's order?

Jacking with a prop at the moment seems like a waiste of time to me. better head worse performance using the same prop tells me that it's not the prop that is the only issue.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Doc, ever heard of the scientific method?

My apologies for introducing a bit of logic to the discussion. Perhaps if your troubleshooting were better, he wouldn't be here asking the rest of us for advice?

Timmy, I have determined the problem to be valve timing.Steve has taken the path to eliminate all other possibilities first.
Reread the posts as stated before.With a little correct info , a logical solution is close at hand.
The motor has never ran correctly since Steve has owned it. This was the reason for the Obviously too large a prop.The motor would only rev to 3000, add a large prop and we can use it as is. Not to correct the problem, but make the boat usable.
If a 12x10 was installed , would that cure the stumble off idle?
And just a note to you Tim, and my mechanical ability,you have become the see all and know all .Glad to be in the company of such a learned one as yourself.Thanx for sharing with this old man........
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 2:05pm
Billy and Tim, I DO appreciate ALL of your input into this PITA problem... Great thing about this site... most everyone has "been there" in some type of situation.

Tim, The prop I changed last year was from one 12x13 to another 12x13(damn river logs), And the second prop did have different characteristics. The engine started "acting up" earlier in the season last year with the 13 I had been running for the whole prior season. Like i said The 12x10 will be on for the next test.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Just throwing this out there, since it hasn't been mentioned at all yet:

Is there anything on your boat at all that might cause excessive exhaust back pressure?

I've seen cars with plugged up catalytic converters exhibit symptoms very similar to what your boat seems to be showing. It will start fine, rev with no load fine, but just not accelerate.

exhaust has been completely replaced from rubber hose to steel pipes... BTW...Billy still "owes" me on that bet!

...along with the new exhaust pipes, the aluminum exhaust manifold had been opend up, cleaned and extra casting flash removed. I port matched the head to the exhaust manifold...removing over a 1/4" from some of the head ports.

so I dont think restriction is an issue.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 1:55pm
Doc, ever heard of the scientific method?

Steve changed 2 things at one time (prop and engine top end). Result = bad performance. The first thing I would do would be to go back to the old wheel and be sure that the problem is engine related. If that 12x13 prop is an unknown (ie, its performance never characterized), then how do we know it hasnt been repitched to 15" or something crazy? I sure as hell wouldnt be dinking with the cam timing until the easiest and most obvious stuff was checked first.

My apologies for introducing a bit of logic to the discussion. Perhaps if your troubleshooting were better, he wouldnt be here asking the rest of us for advice?

Regardless of troubleshooting, Bruce's datapoint indicates that both the 12x13 and 12x12 props are way too large for a 170ci 100hp motor. Makes perfect sense to me.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 1:49pm
Billy, it was me, Bruce, the other guy here with a 100 hp Interceptor that brought up the prop issue. Mine is happy with a 12x8. Perhaps we should look into the specific gravity of the fuel?...
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 1:47pm
Just throwing this out there, since it hasn't been mentioned at all yet:

Is there anything on your boat at all that might cause excessive exhaust back pressure?

I've seen cars with plugged up catalytic converters exhibit symptoms very similar to what your boat seems to be showing. It will start fine, rev with no load fine, but just not accelerate.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic