NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What next? STILL not running right?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2010 at 11:38pm
Tony,
I do appreciate your suggestions,   .(BTW Pete, Tony being a GM tech, probably agrees with Gary...and soon me?.... about installing my "crate" SBC Crusader engine thats been setting in my garage! )   

You think the 5"ish" degrees of freeplay in the dizzy rotation is ok? Any thoughts of the cam timing being off? This thing revs off idle , in neutral, no problem..

I didnt get much time to start checking the cam timing. When I did crank #1 to TDC, the intake/exhaust valves didnt seem to move for a long time before and after TDC. I only got a chance to mess with it for a couple of minutes before having to leave for the afternoon.

Anyone got suggestions/tips on checking that?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2010 at 12:01am
Question Steve.    What size fuel line between tank and pump?

3/8" = nevermind.
1/4" = replace with 3/8"

AT
92ccc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92ccc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2010 at 12:23am
I agree with pete if the cam timing was off you would not have that good of engine vacuum at idle,you would also have a poor idle with possible hard starting, it is hard diagnosing "over the telephone" your a$$ometer cannot get a feel for the engine. I do noit think 5 deg? is too much,not perfect but not too much,remember that is 5 deg at the crank also including play in cam and dist gear. one thing I thought of,we are all a$$uming to little fuel, maybe too much?? try to induce a small vacuum leak while driving(removed pcv) and see if this helps,then try adding fuel with propane enrichener slowly to see if this helps, one other question is it possible to have a restricted exhaust or undersized? Also if this was a low compression engine it will have shorter camshaft duration or it would have terrible low end power.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2010 at 12:35am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Question Steve.    What size fuel line between tank and pump?

3/8" = nevermind.
1/4" = replace with 3/8"

AT

Al, I have a 3/8" rubber hose from the tank to a shutoff valve that is located about 2 feet before the mechanical feul pump. I have 5/16" steel line from valve to the pump and from the pump to the carb. It had 5/16" steel line all the way to the tank until this summer.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2010 at 12:49am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

You think the 5"ish" degrees of freeplay in the dizzy rotation is ok? Any thoughts of the cam timing being off? This thing revs off idle , in neutral, no problem..

You thinking someone put it together wrong or maybe it jumped a tooth?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2010 at 12:53am
Tony,

The boat will start with a bump of the key after its been warmed up. You can rev and hold it at 3+Gs in Neutral. When crack the throttle the vacuum drops quickly to 3 or 4" then back up. when you let off the throttle at 3Gs, the vacuum loads to about 25", then back to the 17 or 18".

After 3 carbs and changes of metering rods, jets, and float levels, coupled with using a 5 gal gas can and an electric fuel pump hooked right into the carb, I dont think fuel is the issue anymore.

What do you think of the cold compression ratio ?
btw, where you at in WI?

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2010 at 12:58am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

You thinking someone put it together wrong or maybe it jumped a tooth?

Billy does......   I am questioning the variance of compression between a "dry" test and one with a few squirts of 30 wt oil.... it comes up a min. of 20 lbs wet. As Pete noted before, there was some blowby coming out the valve cover vent at GL. .... But on the other hand it should still run with 130.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
92ccc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92ccc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2010 at 2:05am
I would sure think it would run with that compression,does show you could use rings if the compression change that much with "a few squirts of oil" I live in Tomah Wi. and have a place in Eagle River also,where are you?
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2010 at 4:38am
I live in NW IL. We have a daughter in the Milwaukee area.

92cc quotes.. does show you could use rings if the compression change that much with "a few squirts of oil"...

That was my point earlier, if I have to pull the motor to correct an "internal" timing issue, I think it would be worth a lower end rebuild, regardless of what is causing this issue. Would be nice to know for sure what is causing this first tho...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 4:12am
I took the plugs out yesterday to start looking at cam timing and run a compression test. Check out the wierd colors of them... they are white on one side and brown/tan on the other. Something to do with valve orientation?

Notice #3 is black on the one side... I turned it in this pic...

What gives?

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 9:47am
Originally posted by 92ccc 92ccc wrote:

and have a place in Eagle River

Tony,
Your name sounds familier?? Do we know each other from up north? Were you on site a few years ago under a different screen name?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 10:14am
Steve - Have you tried using the old intake manifold elbow? Maybe it's possible your new elbow is causing the fuel to drop out of suspension. I have heard of this problem with highly polished intake ports - some turbulence is needed to keep the fuel/air mixture 'stirred up'.
Just a WAG.

Good luck figuring this out.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 11:40am
looks like a ring or two is leaky and oil fouled a plug or two.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 11:46am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

looks like a ring or two is leaky and oil fouled a plug or two.

Chris,
I saw the plugs first hand at GL. The picture quality isn't the best and a couple may look oil fouled but that's not the case. They are all quite clean on one side and the other side are brown. A couple are a darker brown but still only on one side. Strange!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 11:51am
no not really then if that is the case.
92ccc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92ccc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 12:02pm
Pete I don't think we have ever met, at least I don't recall meeting. Do you get to Eagle River often or stay in Three Lakes?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 12:23pm
Steve, as I understand it, it ran well before you changed the head and the carb set up, it just didn't get up to the rpms you wanted. You were running a 12x13 or a 12x12. That boat with a V8 only would have run a 12x13 or maybe even a 12x12. I think anything over 12x10 on a new engine is probably too much for that 100hp engine and it was probably alright before the new head, just over propped. I think the problem lies somewhere in the upgrades you made and not the bottom end or the cam timing. This is a hobbiest/hacker opinion and I am no mechanic, but I wouldn't start going down the complicated road yet.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by 92ccc 92ccc wrote:

Pete I don't think we have ever met, at least I don't recall meeting. Do you get to Eagle River often or stay in Three Lakes?

Tony,
Usually the only thing that gets me up there is if I need to go to Nelsons when Three Lakes Hardware doesn't have something or Napa!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Steve, as I understand it, it ran well before you changed the head and the carb set up, it just didn't get up to the rpms you wanted. You were running a 12x13 or a 12x12. That boat with a V8 only would have run a 12x13 or maybe even a 12x12. I think anything over 12x10 on a new engine is probably too much for that 100hp engine and it was probably alright before the new head, just over propped. I think the problem lies somewhere in the upgrades you made and not the bottom end or the cam timing. This is a hobbiest/hacker opinion and I am no mechanic, but I wouldn't start going down the complicated road yet.

I agree entirely... rule out the easy stuff first.

The 4bbl 302's would have come with the 12x14 Fed, but Ive seen 2 165hp 2bbl's, one 289/302 with a 12x13, and the other 260 with a 12x12. I would say that a 12x10 would be a good starting place for a 100hp 170ci motor. If it still has issues, look at the most recent upgrades first!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 1:23pm
I have no doubt it is over propped. Last year the boat was running like cr@p most of the season. The boat has never ran over 3300 or so since Ive had it. It was propped with the 12x12 when I got it.... never thought that much about it.

We ran the 12x13 for almost two years with no big problems. It just wouldnt spin over 3Gs or so. That was never really an issue, as we only cruised at 2800 or so. Even then if I forced the throttle it just would not respond... but didnt actually fall down.

I do have a 12x10 on the shelf I am going to try, as well as a fresh set of Autolite 45 sparkers, before the next outing.

Question.... why would a rebuilt/good head, now w/aprox 8.5:1 comp, not be able to respond at least as well as the old junk head with 7:1 comp?

again, if over propped wouldnt the engine just not have enough ponies to pull the upper R's" ... Why would that make it fall on its face if pushing the throttle much past half way?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 1:30pm
Steve, read this whole post last night and feel yur pain.The only thing I could come up with,is throttle linkage opening past wot?If the cam was retarded it would run and idle fine but lack any high rpm power.

Looking forward to the real answer hope you find one!

Bob
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Munday Munday wrote:

Steve, read this whole post last night and feel yur pain.The only thing I could come up with,is throttle linkage opening past wot?If the cam was retarded it would run and idle fine but lack any high rpm power.

Looking forward to the real answer hope you find one!

Bob

thanks for the consolation .. what really bugs me is this should be "Basic Engine 101" and here is this dang ford 6 banger ...kicking my butt!

...and yep, the throttle does open all the way. hoping to check cam timing some night this week..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Munday Munday wrote:

Bob

Timmy re read the post again. Try hard not to make this a prop issue.
Acme cannot fix all the problems in the real world.........
These are the issues, that when resolved, add to our inventory of knowledge.
Oh and by the way Timmy,this cannot be fixed with an Acme prop and a calculator.........Boat dr

ps.....Gotta love an engineer , nothing is impossible for the man that has someone else do it for him........
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 1:47pm
Just throwing this out there, since it hasn't been mentioned at all yet:

Is there anything on your boat at all that might cause excessive exhaust back pressure?

I've seen cars with plugged up catalytic converters exhibit symptoms very similar to what your boat seems to be showing. It will start fine, rev with no load fine, but just not accelerate.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 1:49pm
Billy, it was me, Bruce, the other guy here with a 100 hp Interceptor that brought up the prop issue. Mine is happy with a 12x8. Perhaps we should look into the specific gravity of the fuel?...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 1:55pm
Doc, ever heard of the scientific method?

Steve changed 2 things at one time (prop and engine top end). Result = bad performance. The first thing I would do would be to go back to the old wheel and be sure that the problem is engine related. If that 12x13 prop is an unknown (ie, its performance never characterized), then how do we know it hasnt been repitched to 15" or something crazy? I sure as hell wouldnt be dinking with the cam timing until the easiest and most obvious stuff was checked first.

My apologies for introducing a bit of logic to the discussion. Perhaps if your troubleshooting were better, he wouldnt be here asking the rest of us for advice?

Regardless of troubleshooting, Bruce's datapoint indicates that both the 12x13 and 12x12 props are way too large for a 170ci 100hp motor. Makes perfect sense to me.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Just throwing this out there, since it hasn't been mentioned at all yet:

Is there anything on your boat at all that might cause excessive exhaust back pressure?

I've seen cars with plugged up catalytic converters exhibit symptoms very similar to what your boat seems to be showing. It will start fine, rev with no load fine, but just not accelerate.

exhaust has been completely replaced from rubber hose to steel pipes... BTW...Billy still "owes" me on that bet!

...along with the new exhaust pipes, the aluminum exhaust manifold had been opend up, cleaned and extra casting flash removed. I port matched the head to the exhaust manifold...removing over a 1/4" from some of the head ports.

so I dont think restriction is an issue.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 2:05pm
Billy and Tim, I DO appreciate ALL of your input into this PITA problem... Great thing about this site... most everyone has "been there" in some type of situation.

Tim, The prop I changed last year was from one 12x13 to another 12x13(damn river logs), And the second prop did have different characteristics. The engine started "acting up" earlier in the season last year with the 13 I had been running for the whole prior season. Like i said The 12x10 will be on for the next test.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Doc, ever heard of the scientific method?

My apologies for introducing a bit of logic to the discussion. Perhaps if your troubleshooting were better, he wouldn't be here asking the rest of us for advice?

Timmy, I have determined the problem to be valve timing.Steve has taken the path to eliminate all other possibilities first.
Reread the posts as stated before.With a little correct info , a logical solution is close at hand.
The motor has never ran correctly since Steve has owned it. This was the reason for the Obviously too large a prop.The motor would only rev to 3000, add a large prop and we can use it as is. Not to correct the problem, but make the boat usable.
If a 12x10 was installed , would that cure the stumble off idle?
And just a note to you Tim, and my mechanical ability,you have become the see all and know all .Glad to be in the company of such a learned one as yourself.Thanx for sharing with this old man........
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 2:56pm
wonder if two cylinders wires are crossed and not matched to the cam's order?

Jacking with a prop at the moment seems like a waiste of time to me. better head worse performance using the same prop tells me that it's not the prop that is the only issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic