Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sourcing a 454

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
WhiteLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sourcing a 454
    Posted: August-18-2010 at 11:23pm
Where might I find a used inboard 454? Besides the obvious places like ebay and craigslist. Looking to upgrade the power plant.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 12:38am
Try Eric at Fantastic Finish Marine.

I hear he wears a Bowtie to work!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 1:40am
Ohh I need a 454 engine with tranny. Not just a tranny
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 2:14am
nice upgrade....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 8:47am
Originally posted by WhiteLakeSkier WhiteLakeSkier wrote:

Ohh I need a 454 engine with tranny. Not just a tranny

Transmissions are just a small part of Eric's business. You must not be reading!!!

Also go to the classified section of marineengine.com

So, you want to put a big block in your boat! Have you given any thought to propping it? This is for the AS? You had better plan on a new strut and log to swing a larger prop. I seem to remember it had a 11" on it originally but then got a larger dia. However, I don't recall you saying how much prop to hull clearance you ended up with.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 9:40am
i have a righty 454 bottem with 427 heads, i havnt popped the heads yet to see the panties. that one is for sale
i fcd up and sent a customer to get a bbc at a boat yard that pulls engines out of boats, he came back with a beauty for 350.00..
i would say if you dont have access to boat yards and to the such keep watching CL, last October i found 2 complete BBCS, 1 7.5 kw genny, 2 hurth 630 tranny's, shafts, props and every engine bracket...it was December and i chiseled him down to 1200.00 I sold the bbc's already unfortunately
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 12:09pm
If youre considering putting the 454 into that American Skier of yours, I think its a terrible idea. It would be far cheaper and easier to build a small block up to big block power levels if youve already got one. The big block comes with a pretty significant weight and size penalty, which will really dwarf a 16' boat.
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 12:15pm
Stroke a 351W to 400+. Spend your money on heads! What is your goal?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 12:23pm
I think even a stroked 351w would be too wild for this hull. There are a handful of 302-347ci powered Mustangs and American Skiers that have more power than most would know what to do with, running in the 55-60mph range. I wouldnt encourage anyone to go any bigger than that unless they really knew what they were doing, as it could get dangerous fast.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I think even a stroked 351w would be too wild for this hull. There are a handful of 302-347ci powered Mustangs and American Skiers that have more power than most would know what to do with, running in the 55-60mph range. I wouldnt encourage anyone to go any bigger than that unless they really knew what they were doing, as it could get dangerous fast.

I agree! I drove Billy's AS and it got a little hairy the faster that hull went and I didn't even open it up!!

Well, it's getting towards the end of the season. I wonder if some boats are being put away early and Michael been smelling to much of that -100* stuff again. I'm sure it would do some brain damage!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 1:21pm
With the 302 in the as, I'm able to get 47 gps at wot(4500) with an acme 12.5x12 or 13.

Some people have 350s in there mustang/skier already. I'd like to do a 454 or something bigger than a 350 in it. What exactly are we talki for engine weight of a 302, 350, and 454? I never have more than 1 passenger in the boat as it is.

Does that 427 have a tranny attached Eric?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 1:32pm
I think you should consider going the other way, a light, high reving 4.8 chevy or 4.6 f mod motor. Can live at 6K rpm with no internal mods.

Else the lightest thing old school is a 302, the block is only like 115#
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 1:43pm
There is one 350 in that hull that I know of, a 331 (stroker 302), and a 340 Chrysler. 2 of them are scary fast, one is just scary. There are a handful of hot 302's as well. Any of the above will get you well into the 50's. I suggest you go for a ride in one of those boats before you decide that you need more cubes.

Besides, unless you have deep pockets, a 454 is much more expensive to build. If you planned to keep it stock, then your performance wouldnt be very good (280-290 hp) considering you would be carrying about 300 extra lbs (the 454 weighs in at 1095 lbs vs. 780 for the 302). It wouldnt be easy to prop it to run at 4400 RPM either.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 1:52pm
I was considering just upgrading the 302, but it is a lot cheaper to buy a larger motor than spend the money on parts for an upgrade. And I've always heard the reliability goes down with stroked motors and such. Unless I'm misinformed on the price of souping up the 302. They put supercharged 454s in little jet boats, why not a ski boat?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 2:06pm

It would be far cheaper and easier to build a small block up to big block power levels if youve already got one.

+7 Bad Idea. You've been misinformed before, who told you it's cheaper? The -100 F salesman?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 2:10pm
I think youre all sorts of misinformed. You really need to do some more reading on here. Getting some seat time on a modified boat would help you greatly as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 2:13pm
I Said it would be cheaper to go bigger than mod my current motor
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 2:17pm
While everyone likes the thrill of going fast, remember these are SKI boats.Their intended purpose in life is to pull a skier, boarder or footer around a body of water.
I would think a BB in a small ski boat hull would cause some issues. Handling and cost being two of them.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 2:18pm
And Im telling you that is probably not the case. Big blocks command big bucks, even stock ones. You could get the same power levels (280-290hp) out of a 302 for less than $1500. Going to a 454 may or may not require a transmission change, btw- all 454's Ive seen came from the factory paired to a 72C instead of a 71c.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 3:19pm
So what about upgrading to a 350 and modding that? Same weight as a 302 but it will have the larger tranny and a few more horseys to start with
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 3:36pm

So what about upgrading to a 350 and modding that? Same weight as a 302 but it will have the larger tranny and a few more horseys to start with

Not sure what you mean by the larger tranny... only the big blocks got the 72c, at least from PCM. Of course, you could mate one up to a small block if you want- its only money, right?

It would be relatively cheap to build a 350 to big power levels- lots of parts available. Easier or cheaper than a 302? Maybe... but since youre starting with a 302, it would be easiest and cheapest to start with that, rather than finding another powertrain. Of course, if you know of a RH 350 for cheap, then go for it. There would be value in your RH 302 if you wanted to sell it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 3:51pm
Ohh I had thought the 351 had the 72c tranny. I figure if your modding an engine to higher hp, you'd want a heavier duty tranny that would be on the 351. What can the 71 handle?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 4:03pm

What can the 71 handle?

I recall Eric stating that it would handle anything a highly mod'd small block could throw at it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 4:12pm
Alright. 454 is a bad idea. Anybody know of someone with a 351 for sale? I'll go through the usual craigslist search, but I would rather get it from a member. People in here usually take care of there things.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 4:30pm

There is one 350 in that hull that I know of, a 331 (stroker 302), and a 340 Chrysler. 2 of them are scary fast, one is just scary. There are a handful of hot 302's as well. Any of the above will get you well into the 50's. I suggest you go for a ride in one of those boats before you decide that you need more cubes.

Besides, unless you have deep pockets, a 454 is much more expensive to build. If you planned to keep it stock, then your performance wouldnt be very good (280-290 hp) considering you would be carrying about 300 extra lbs (the 454 weighs in at 1095 lbs vs. 780 for the 302). It wouldnt be easy to prop it to run at 4400 RPM either.

Tim, shock and dismay.......We agree ........
Weight is the biggest enemy I fought with Karens American Skier. Her boat was powered by a HM 260 ci.After the 302 was added the water line was considerably higher. That was when "she" got put on a diet, that lowered the total by about 150 lbs.
The HiTeks were good for 50 or so pounds, but removal of the circ pump and cast iron timing cover /belt driven raw water pump = the same weight loss .
Scary fast describes the ride to a TEE!!!!!A big block chevy would do the same , but destroy the handling. If not dangerous
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

What can the 71 handle?

I recall Eric stating that it would handle anything a highly mod'd small block could throw at it.

Pete, 400 plus hrs. on the clock for Karen,s 331 and a "Eric Rebuild" tranny.
Eric stated I would not hurt the BW with the hp that I made.I think it will make 250 on a good day 550 plus would start to concern me but any less means go for it.
Dog house clearance was the reason for the 302 stroker vs. the 351, 2 inches is a lot to compensate for........plus the extra weight.
charger496 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 5:59pm
That's what she said.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by charger496 charger496 wrote:

That's what she said.

David,
Sorry but I'm not picking up the meaning of your comment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 7:47pm
2 inch Peter?
charger496 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2010 at 7:48pm
C'mon, really? "2 inches is a lot to compensate for"....That's what she... Nevermind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic