NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2001 owners inside prop question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
98motorsport3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98motorsport3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2001 owners inside prop question
    Posted: September-09-2010 at 2:59am
The boat I purchased (86 nautique 2001) has a acme 542 prop, w/ 3/4 tank of gas and 3 people the boat tops out at 36.x mph at about 4100-4200rpm is that normal? I don't care about top speed I just want to make sure thats normal and b/c of the prop. Second of all if I go wide open throttle straight for a minute or so it starts to surge then come back just a tiny bit, and I slow down to around 35.5. I'm sure the surging is probably fuel related, bowl adjustment or something simple. Since it only happens at WOT when going across the lake, I'm just not gonna worry about it b/c I shouldn't be taching those rpm's that long anyways. My main thing is just making sure the top speed sounds normal. Confused EDIT: Speed is read of perfect pass. Paddle wheel not gps.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 4:48am
Those numbers sound close for that prop. You are a few hundred rpm down though. With that prop you should see 4300-4400 rpm WOT easily.

The surging maybe related. It sounds a bit like it is not getting enough fuel. Maybe check that the secondaries are opening. If they are check fuel pressure and flow the fuel pump could be struggling.

It sounds more like fuel but a general tune up might help anyway plugs point's and wires,timing etc.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98motorsport3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 8:50am
It probably is 4300, I should've looked at the Perfect pass RPM's. I don't know why I looked at the factory gauge. I just wanted to make sure the speed sounded right. Boat has full tune up and electronic ignition which is why I think it's fuel related.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 11:24am
I think Mark is having conversion disorder..   I dont like the speed or the rpm for that prop. Healthy that thing should be looking at minimum 4500 rpm and depending on how much water in the foam at least 41-42 mph. That with the surging and I would be looking at a carb rebuild. The paddle wheel speed is only as good as your paddle wheel location but if it matches your two airguides it is unlikely you are 5mph off.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 12:00pm
Joe my definition of close may be conservative but assuming a 2001 hull with a 540 is good for 43-45mph at 4500rpm. I would have thought a 542 would max out 39-42mph. So i thought 36.X was about right for 4100rpm.

Warning....thread jack. Joe I was only thinking the other day how you were going on your SN196 GT40 project boat.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 12:32pm
I will admit I do not have a whole lot of experience with stock engine nautiques... but I think my numbers with that prop are the minimum acceptable.. most will easily break 4500 with a 540 and should see 150+200 rpm more with the 542 and other than pulling footers the boat should be able to break 40 with that prop under any reasonable loading to be considered healthy, no reason you couldnt still see 45 lightly loaded.

As for my 95 GT40 she is sitting on blocks outside the shop, no real progress.. although some is likely now that summer has turned off like a switch in NY.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 12:37pm
Joe, the 2001's Ive been in with the 540 turn it nearly exactly 4400 per the tach and 45mph on the GPS. Id say 100-200 more RPM for a 542, and maybe a mph slower on top?

36mph @ 4200 is way off indeed.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98motorsport3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 2:34pm
Where should I start looking? Compression test?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98motorsport3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 3:58pm
Did compression test, motor at temp, all plates open on carb, all plugs out and read as follows

111 120 129 130 115 111 125 125 according to everything I've read the motor is healthy. I wonder if something is stopping me from actually hitting wide open throttle... perfect pass or something... when I go WOT my throttle lever is just above being level to the boat side. Most boats I've been in go past that or at least totally level. hmmm
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 4:17pm
GPS to check speed before taking anything apart.

Bad tach & speedos could give you a headache.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 4:24pm
Yeah it is too much to be a compression type issue, ignition advance or lack thereof perhaps, but more likely carb or as you mention throttle position related. If you are worried about your throttle position take off the arrestor and with the boat in the on position but not running (required due to the perfect pass) look at the butterflys to make sure they are both fully open (perfectly straigth up and down). If not remove the throttle linkage from the carb and actuate it by hand and see if you can get the butterflys open all the way by that method.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98motorsport3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 4:51pm
Well I would think the boat would have to be running as the secondaries are vacuum operated correct?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 5:16pm
Yeah I am slow today.. too much time with mechanical secondary carbs in the last couple weeks.. vacuum secondaries wont open when not running, but your not going to want to see that while running too dangerous. You should see the primary actuate the entire way and at that point be able to make sure the secondary moves freely and easily to all the way open while sitting there with the motor off..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98motorsport3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 6:15pm
I checked the max rpm for the motor and it says 4400. I'm thinking it's a fuel/timing issue. I'm gonna check the timing when I get out to the lake to make sure its ok. If it is I'll check fuel pressure, then think about rebuilding the carb. Will a normal holley carb kit work?
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2010 at 3:05pm
I have an 85' w/ 542 slight ding in the prop and I am running about the same 4300 @40 mph I think I have a bad power valve my compression is about the same
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98motorsport3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2010 at 7:53pm
Well turns out my perfect pass was not so perfect. It's the paddle wheel version... My buddy had a gps speedo app on his phone. We decided to give it a whirl and low and behold, when my perfect pass says 37mph at full throttle the GPS said 40/41mph the whole time. So I played w/the calibration settings and got it pretty on target. Why do the perfect passes not read totally accurate?
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2010 at 1:40am
Did you ever check if you actually get full throttle from the carb?

I certainly would not worry about how for the throttle lever goes compared to others. But if you get more throttle from disconnecting the throttle cable and opening the throttle by hand, then there is definitely a culprit.

Rebuilding the carb would be a good idea if it has not been done in a while.

Buy a marine carb rebuild kit, as you will have non externally adjustable floats unlike cars that have externally adjustable floats.

Also, find out what power valve you have in it. A 6.5 should probably be your best bet. It's possible the secondaries are not kicking in, or that the floats are mis-adjusted.

I've been running an Acme 208 4 blade, so I can't comment about the 540 vs 542. My hull is a little different than yours too.

I might pick up a 540 though to see if there's any difference between the 208 and 540. I'm certain there will be a difference as the 540 is a lower pitch by .5, just like the 542 is .5 less pitch than the 540..

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic