Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for Morse Control late 70's vintage

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for Morse Control late 70's vintage
    Posted: September-13-2010 at 11:45am
I am looking for a late 70's morse control. Can someone help me out?

FrankT
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 12:24pm
Death trap.

FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 12:43pm
What do you mean?

FrankT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by FrankT FrankT wrote:

What do you mean?

FrankT

Frank-

Those old controls without a lockout on them should be thrown in the trash.

They are a safety hazard.

Put an MV-2 in it.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 5:41pm
Frank,
I admire your sticking with looking for original parts. There is some truth to what Tim is saying but thinking about the thousands of boats out there with MV1 and the years they were used without major issues I'd say go for it. With care to pull the neutral lockout, the MV1 can be used safely. I'd have to say the MV2 was designed after some ambulance chasing lawyer went after Morse. Email Jim Staib at finewoodboats@finewoodboats.com and see if he has one.

Remember what Jodi said as well. Professional drivers do not leave the helm with the engine running.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 5:56pm
Pete has a point. We've always had the MV1 until last summer. MV2 is a nice feature, but if you are an experienced boat driver you should be alright....I guess it only takes one time tho.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Frank,
I admire your sticking with looking for original parts. There is some truth to what Tim is saying but thinking about the thousands of boats out there with MV1 and the years they were used without major issues I'd say go for it. With care to pull the neutral lockout, the MV1 can be used safely. I'd have to say the MV2 was designed after some ambulance chasing lawyer went after Morse. Email Jim Staib at finewoodboats@finewoodboats.com and see if he has one.

Remember what Jodi said as well. Professional drivers do not leave the helm with the engine running.

Pete-

Ambulance chasing lawyer? or Common sense?

Pull the knob out....

Yes. You can tell everybody to pull the knob out. Will they always do it? Nope. New boats don't even have the neutral knob so people no longer teach that.

Our '86 ran away with the driver on the seat. $2000 later it was repaired. Nobody got hurt. We were lucky.

Everybody can pound on their chest and tell you how good of driver they are. I'm a good driver, but not perfect, and nobody is. Unless you are sitting in the seat with a hand on that shift lever there is a chance it can be moved (on the MV-1 or poorly maintained MV-2). In our case..... somebody slid a ski down the dock and hit the shift lever. Boat was gone. Driver in the seat.

You can tell everybody to do this and that original....which is fine. But its poor judgment to look at a minor "originality" detail over safety. If your ACBS buddies deduct points for something like switching from an MV-1 to an MV-2 they need a kick in the teeth or maybe a visit from "an ambulance chasing lawyer".

Tim

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 11:02am
Tim,
No ACBS point deduction for a safety upgrade.

Regarding the "ambulance chasing lawyer", I'd say Morse's insurance company had a role in the design change as well. Probably after the lawyer was involved!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 11:04pm
Thats it,I'm going to sell everything and go live in a cave,my life will be alot safer.Hope it don't collapse
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Thats it,I'm going to sell everything and go live in a cave,my life will be alot safer.Hope it don't collapse

Gary,
When you sell everything, you can buy plenty of these!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tim,
No ACBS point deduction for a safety upgrade.

Regarding the "ambulance chasing lawyer", I'd say Morse's insurance company had a role in the design change as well. Probably after the lawyer was involved!

Pete-

Being an engineer that has to build in safety into designs it makes me wonder why they were never made with the lockout.

I have watched one person almost die in a boating accident. Anything we can do to make something safer makes sense to me. I don't care for lawyers or useless rules. I do like people who have common sense.

I guess you and Gary S do not share my feelings on safety.

Tim

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 12:42pm
You cannot regulate Stupid.....

Tim I need not you nor anyone else to protect me or my loved ones.I am safety minded as to all aspects of boating. Having lost a Grandson in a boating accident, I can speak of this first hand.
All it takes is a momentary lapse of judgment by the operator to forever change one's life forever.Ignorance wins over product safety every time.............

Jimmy Buffett says
               " There is no dumb ass vaccine "
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

You cannot regulate Stupid.....

Tim I need not you nor anyone else to protect me or my loved ones.I am safety minded as to all aspects of boating. Having lost a Grandson in a boating accident, I can speak of this first hand.
All it takes is a momentary lapse of judgment by the operator to forever change one's life forever.Ignorance wins over product safety every time.............

Jimmy Buffett says
               " There is no dumb ass vaccine "

Your right. You cannot regulate stupid.

But when the option comes to have a device that increases the saftey without sacrificing any other attributes of that device why not use the device with the added safety???

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 3:00pm
Safety lanyards are available and installed on all new boats. With that being said , Do you have one on your boat Tim. If not why not, cheap and simple to install. Most do not use this simple "kill device" if in the case of my 3 year old Grandson would be learning to ski and enjoy the boating life we all enjoy.
Stupid actions on the part of ONE caused so much pain for many.The safety device was installed but not used by the operator.End result was the death of innocent passenger.
On my boat , if the motor is running the drivers seat is occupied.Very simple rule.

Do Not Crank It Till You Are Ready To Stay In The Drivers Seat.

But what the hell do I know, ya'll are smarter than this old man , RIGHT..........Boating does not KILL, STUPID Will............
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Safety lanyards are available and installed on all new boats. With that being said , Do you have one on your boat Tim. If not why not, cheap and simple to install. Most do not use this simple "kill device" if in the case of my 3 year old Grandson would be learning to ski and enjoy the boating life we all enjoy.
Stupid actions on the part of ONE caused so much pain for many.The safety device was installed but not used by the operator.End result was the death of innocent passenger.
On my boat , if the motor is running the drivers seat is occupied.Very simple rule.

Do Not Crank It Till You Are Ready To Stay In The Drivers Seat.

But what the hell do I know, ya'll are smarter than this old man , RIGHT..........Boating does not KILL, STUPID Will............

Billy-

You said the boat that blew up with your grandson in it blew up because of a mechanic put in a filter in between the fuel pump and the carb.

How would a safety lanyard do anything? It would not fix the hack mechanic.

If somebody you know got killed because the shifter didn't have a safety interlock would you continue to use the one without the interlock? Or would you just say....ahh it was the dumb driver...no way to get around that.

You continue to mix words. We cannot fix stupid, I have that figured out. We can engineer products to be safer so when stupid is operating the boat it is still safe.

In this case there is a safer product but you guys are hell bent on using the unsafe "original" alternative.

Keep beating on your chest about how perfect of boat driver you are, we know you are the perfect human.

Yes...there is a safety lanyard in my boat. No I do not use it. I also let my boat warm up while sitting 1/2 in the water on the boat lift without being in the driver seat.

Tim

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 4:02pm
Hey Billy

I bet if you had a Morse MV-2 to sell in your store you would be talking them up!!!

Tim

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Pete-
Being an engineer that has to build in safety into designs it makes me wonder why they were never made with the lockout.
Tim

Tim,
I'm sure it has to do with safety back then being thought of as the responsibility of the driver and common sence. Now we have the "stupid factor" and need to protect everyone without any common sence. I deal with OSHA here at the plant and know first hand what has to be done to protect people for the "stupid factor".

When I was in 7th grade, I lost the tip of my left index finger at the second joint. This was in a brand new window box fan where the gaurding on it was wide enough to allow my finger to slip in. Same thing! No one thought back then you would stick your finger into a fan. In my case, I was just leaning on the fan and looking out the window. Now, gaurding must be no wider than 1/4". BTW, back then my parents didn't even think about suing!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 4:22pm
So are we going to talk about "can't fix stupid" or "put the safest part in the boat available"?

We can't get rid of stupid.....or lawyers...or suing but we can make the best choices. Thats my point.

You all talk about the best job on the stringers and everything else but will argue against a safety enhancement???

Done replying in this thread.

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 4:39pm
Tim, I just erased the comment I was posting for you. It was best to delete than post.I have a milder version posted below..........

The info you posted as to the cause was as usual , your stupidity. Post the thread or issue a formal apology to me for all to see the.
Do not ever use my grandsons name nor the situation in which he was killed.Do I Make My Wishes Perfectly CLEAR.
Keith banning me for life will be worth the ass kicking you will receive from me. Is that CLEAR.
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 5:49pm
Got kind of excited based upon the number of responses that someone might have the control I am looking for but it looks like I just started an argument.

On this issue, I have been driving boats for a long time and the first time I came across a boat with this locking feature on the throttle I thought it was to keep the driver from inadvertently dumping the boat into reverse (my sister). I never would have thought that the boat could drive away on it’s own but I agree it could happen. We also have a newer Malibu with a dead man switch but I can honestly say that is has never been used for its intended purpose. Although previously not an enforced rule in the family our boats are very infrequently running without someone in the seat. I will start to educate my young operators of this potential danger and hopefully make them more diligent drivers in the process.

BTW – still looking for the earlier style “MV-1” control for a friends Luger project.

FrankT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 5:58pm
Frank-

Here is an MV-2, same as MV-1 with the lockout. I would never put an MV-1 in anything I was putting back together.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MORSE-MV-2-SIDE-MOUNT-BOAT-CONTROL-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c57379a93QQitemZ190441822867QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 6:41pm
(hint to FrankT, you can essentially disable the locking feature on the MV-2)
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 7:13pm
My question (not to add fuel to the fire) is why don't all boats have the lockout? Yes, new inboards do, but pontoons don't necessarily have a lockout mechanism. I find our toon much more dangerous than the CC's simply because little kids love to jump off the back when we anchor out in the lake. Not very smart to put the motor and ladder (only accessible loading point) less than 3ft away from each other.

Don't even get me started on people thinking they have the boat in neutral. My mom is NOTORIOUS for "thinking" she is sitting still when I pull up to the pontoon.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by FrankT FrankT wrote:

BTW – still looking for the earlier style “MV-1” control for a friends Luger project.

FrankT

Frank,
Did you email Jim like I recommended in my first post?

"Email Jim Staib at www.finewoodboats.com and see if he has one."

Here's alink to his site There is a email link as well on Jim's site.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic