Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Getting up on a slalom

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
LAKESIDE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAKESIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting up on a slalom
    Posted: September-14-2010 at 12:11am
Alright guys Sunday i took a brutal beating trying to get up on a slalom ski. Really need some advice on body posture and take off speeds . I am 5'10 around 210 lbs. Man my whole body aches after failed attempts. And also some wakeboarding .lol I know you can get up on 2 and drop one but trying to learn on 1. Thanks. Any tips appreciated.
93 Ski Nautique   SUCK MY WAKE
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 1:26am
Well, I will give it shot from a "recreational, open water skier" perspective. I am sure to be corrected, or at the very least have my thoughts expounded upon.

2 Schools of Thought....

1st School - Start w/ 2 feet in the bindings, whether you have a front binding and a rear toe strap or front and rear bindings. I assume you have a rear toe strap since you mentioned dropping one. With a front and rear binding, you have have no choice but to get up with both feet in. Keep knees bent, tight to the chest. Strong foot forward, rope on the opposite site, meaning that if your right foot is forward, the rope should be on the left side of the ski, and vice versa. (Strong foot forward - I always ask people which foot is their lead foot if they were to do a skateboard or scooter. Same foot forward on a slalom ski.) Baseball grip on the rope. My opinion is most people try to stand up too soon and/or the start is too slow.

2nd School - With a combo/slalom ski with a rear toe plate, some people prefer to get up with 1 foot in the front binding and dragging the rear foot for stability. This is my wife's method. I can't help you much here, as I start w/ 2 feet in. Same front foot and rope strategy as above. Again, my opinion is most people try to stand up too soon, the start is too slow, or they try to get their rear foot in the binding too soon.

Keep your arms "straight", with just a slight bend. Many folks I have seen try to pull the rope handle to their chest which leads to a loss of balance.

(Also, any luck getting your son up on a wakeboard yet? Maybe my advice isn't worth a crap. )
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 10:33am
Many will find it easier to get up on a Combo slalom than a competition slalom. The comp is usually shorter and narrower. The baseball grip is right palm up/ left down if left foot foward and left up right down if RFF. Learning off a boom has proven a great way to learn and then the progression to long line is easy.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 10:42am
There's 2 parts to skiing on one ski: getting up and skiing. You should learn how to ski first. You should try dropping one and learn to ski on 1 ski, then once you can do that and ski with your foot in the rear boot, start working on your deep water start. Real difficult to start from scratch with the deep water start first.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 11:40am
I agree with Riley; learn to slalom by dropping. Get proficient at skiing on one before trying to get up on one.
A good way to figure out which foot forward, if you are not a skate or snowboarder, is to stand with your feet together and have someone push you from behind. Whatever foot you step first with, is your front foot. I know some will say that the foot you kick a ball with, your stronger leg, should be in the back. I agree, if you plan to run the course shortline.
In regards to the grip; baseball grip for slalom. But I feel whatever is comfortable is the way to hold, unless again, shortline course running is in your future. I'm right foot forward (aka goofy foot), and I hold the rope like a right-handed hitter.
Just my thoughts, hope it helps.
BTW, I learned to get up two feet in. I converted to one foot in, even though I had a double boot. It is much easier to get my 215lbs out of the water, especially behind a slower pull.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 12:56pm
Good advice here. I have seen a few folks start skiing on one without dropping, but, I agree it is easier to drop first.
I would add a couple of things. I ski LFF and start with the rope on the right side of the ski. When I teach folks to get up I tell them to lean the ski to the left (if they are LFF) when starting, as the boat accelerates the ski will straighten up to the rope. If you start with the ski straight up, it tends to pull you over easier. As you come up try to put some pressure against the ski with your feet, so you dont get pulled over. The driver can make a big difference when learning to get up. I like to start slow until I see the ski "set" then start in with more throttle. That seems to work better than pedal to metal!

If you are dropping one ski, dont be in a hurry to put that back foot on the ski. Drag it in the water like a rudder until it gets comfy, then attempt to put your back foot on the ski.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

There's 2 parts to skiing on one ski: getting up and skiing. You should learn how to ski first. You should try dropping one and learn to ski on 1 ski, then once you can do that and ski with your foot in the rear boot, start working on your deep water start. Real difficult to start from scratch with the deep water start first.

I went the drop a ski route with my daughter and it worked fine. I did teach her to get up on one with the boom. Dropping didn't quite work with my son. He got up first try on the boom skied around 1/2 our pond. The next day I had him try long line two foot start and he was up in 3 attempts and once up skied the whole pond.

I have also used the boom method for waterskiing, wakeboarding, and single trick ski with great results.

My point is the old school dropping does work, but the boom seemed to work well. So if one method isn't getting you results try the other.
LAKESIDE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LAKESIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 3:25pm

(Also, any luck getting your son up on a wakeboard yet? Maybe my advice isn't worth a crap. )[/QUOTE]

LOL. Haven't had a chance to get him out he has been working every weekend. But have gotten a lot of others up with advice from you guys. We have even began to air it now. So much fun, but its rough on me the next few days..lol Advice is very appreciative!
93 Ski Nautique   SUCK MY WAKE
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

My point is the old school dropping does work, but the boom seemed to work well. So if one method isn't getting you results try the other.

Drop a ski on the boom! Patience and slow progression seem to yield excellent results.
FUN-9C1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUN-9C1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 4:04pm
If you try the drop a ski method, be very careful that the front ski tip that you're dropping doesn't dig into the water and snap your leg around. I never thought to tell people that (thinking it was incredibly obvious), but one of my friends with a pretty good amount of two-skiing behind her, did just that and ripped the hell out of some ligaments and tendons n sh*t.

For the deep-water start, one more tip- concentrate on keeping your upper body a little behind your front foot as your getting up out of the water. And your driver shouldn't be shy with the throttle. I prefer the "pedal to the metal" method, maybe for just starting I would recommend no more than 3 seconds to get to WFO on the throttle. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be standing up in less than 3 seconds. :)

This is probably one of those questions where if you ask 100 different people, you'll get 100 different answers!
'86 2001
'50 Century Imperial Sportsman
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 4:14pm
I agree with everyone here. Ski slalom first, then try deep water slalom starts. It's just too much to learn at once. If you want to learn quickly, start on the boom then go to the short line then go to the long line.

When I teach people to deep water I always use the analogy of trying to get up on the engine cover from the floor in the back of the boat - since it simulates getting up on top of the water from the position of floating in the water up to your shoulders.

If you sit on the floor in the back of the boat and someone reached across from the front of the engine to pull you up onto the engine cover, what would you do?

You'd put your strong leg out in front of you (up on top of the cover if you can with a flat foot). You'd reach forward, bending at your waist, with straight arms to help the person pulling you (which puts your weight out over your front foot). As you get pulled forward and up over your front foot, you'd start to 'stand' by straightening at your waist (keeping your weight over the front foot) while being careful to not fall on your face. Lastly, you'd let the person pull you up (i.e. you wouldn't pull them back to you, you'd be patient and let them pull you up).

This is just like deep water starting. If you're left-foot forward, keep the rope on the right (and visa versa); with your strong foot out in front of you, keep your arms straight and lean forward by bending at your waist (so your chest touches your bent knee) as the boat pulls you. With a flat foot (toes down) start to stand as you get pulled forward and up over your front foot by straightening up at your waist. Be patient and let the boat pull you, don't try to pull the boat.

Remember, your goal is to get your yourself up on top of the water from a position of floating in the water up to your shoulders - not an easy task if you think about it.

If you prefer the two foot method, try the exercise in the back of the boat with one foot on top of the engine cover and the other near the top on the back side. This will give you the feel for what it's like in the water.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Drop a ski on the boom! Patience and slow progression seem to yield excellent results.

No, We skipped the dropping a ski part. You have met my son, he is stubborn and wanted to try this method. I was suprized at the results but he did get up on a slalom ski first shot, then behind the boat the next day, has been doing so since july and skiied his first tournament Sun.

It was just suggested as an option if patience and slow progression aren't working.

Our old method also utilized sking with one ski raised (like the old skiers salute) to establish balance and which foot would be more comfortable as the front foot prior to dropping. getting up on a combo slalom before learning on a competition slalom also worked. Then again my old school methods date back to the 60's
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 4:37pm
That's great he can skip right to the slalom deepwater start.

If I'm driving, you're doing all the steps because I'm not turning the boat around 9 times. Lucky Lowe style!
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 4:46pm
The new wide skis are making it so easy, even wakeboarders can get up on one ski!
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 10:53pm
After a couple of seasons trying, I am to the point of getting up on one, most of the time. I agree with everything above, one thing that helped me was to have the driver tighten up the line at idle, then drag me through the water a little bit. I think that little bit of forward momentum helps before he hits the throttle.
FUN-9C1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUN-9C1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by 65 'cuda 65 'cuda wrote:

one thing that helped me was to have the driver tighten up the line at idle, then drag me through the water a little bit. I think that little bit of forward momentum helps before he hits the throttle.

Good tip. That's something I always do but didn't think about. When I take a dive the boat comes back around and when the line's tight I say "hit it". The boat never comes out of gear.
'86 2001
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 11:56pm
Seems all new comers learning think of two things. Always want to pull on the rope while skiing and lean to far forward. I tell them boat got lots of power lean back on the ski, and never pull on the rope. I don’t know why some do so. But with new comers, especially coming out of the deep water that is when I pull out the ol double handle rope out. Throw both lines over the ski, know they can concentrate on skiing and getting up, and then work from there.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 12:39pm
Keith,

I do exactly the same thing when teaching kids however, I actually sit on top of the motor box facing the back of the boat. With the "student" sitting in the back of the boat while holding the ski handle and bracing their feet on the back of the motor box. I then pull them up with the other end of about 3-5 feet of the ski rope.

Works really well to give them the feeling of what it's like being pulled up by the boat.
Doug
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 2:16am
I tell people to concentrate on keeping their weight centered over their front knee, seems to help them understand the balance point. When they feel the hard pull of the boat, straighten out your knee so you stand up, your torso clears the water, and you get on top quickly.

I totally agree on using a wide new style combo ski, it's amazing how much easier they make it to get up.

I've had to revert to dropping a ski at times, I've had a few injuries that didn't let me put the strain on my legs of getting up on 1 ski. Boy it's easy to get up on 2 skis! There's no reason to let a new slalom skier struggle to get up on 1, dropping is a much better way to learn.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Clew In View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clew In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Keith Keith wrote:

I agree with everyone here. Ski slalom first, then try deep water slalom starts. It's just too much to learn at once. If you want to learn quickly, start on the boom then go to the short line then go to the long line.

When I teach people to deep water I always use the analogy of trying to get up on the engine cover from the floor in the back of the boat - since it simulates getting up on top of the water from the position of floating in the water up to your shoulders.

If you sit on the floor in the back of the boat and someone reached across from the front of the engine to pull you up onto the engine cover, what would you do?

You'd put your strong leg out in front of you (up on top of the cover if you can with a flat foot). You'd reach forward, bending at your waist, with straight arms to help the person pulling you (which puts your weight out over your front foot). As you get pulled forward and up over your front foot, you'd start to 'stand' by straightening at your waist (keeping your weight over the front foot) while being careful to not fall on your face. Lastly, you'd let the person pull you up (i.e. you wouldn't pull them back to you, you'd be patient and let them pull you up).

This is just like deep water starting. If you're left-foot forward, keep the rope on the right (and visa versa); with your strong foot out in front of you, keep your arms straight and lean forward by bending at your waist (so your chest touches your bent knee) as the boat pulls you. With a flat foot (toes down) start to stand as you get pulled forward and up over your front foot by straightening up at your waist. Be patient and let the boat pull you, don't try to pull the boat.

Remember, your goal is to get your yourself up on top of the water from a position of floating in the water up to your shoulders - not an easy task if you think about it.

If you prefer the two foot method, try the exercise in the back of the boat with one foot on top of the engine cover and the other near the top on the back side. This will give you the feel for what it's like in the water.

-Keith

Great way to explain it. I can remember when I started, no dropping the ski, just deep water start. When a buddy told me to put pressure(push down) on the forward foot and you will come out of the water. Don't rush it and as you start to plane the force against you from the water will go away.   When you are up and picking up speed shift pressure to rear foot to engage the fin.

Clew In

Clew In
john_33612 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john_33612 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 1:36pm
hope you have a strong hamstring , one foot out puts alot of strain on your leg thats in the ski , I have strong legs , 500 lb squats for reps and it still tore my hamstring
FUN-9C1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUN-9C1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by john_33612 john_33612 wrote:

hope you have a strong hamstring , one foot out puts alot of strain on your leg thats in the ski , I have strong legs , 500 lb squats for reps and it still tore my hamstring

It probably is alot easier to learn the one leg method when you're a kid. Has anyone learned to do that as a full grown 200 lb male? I learned that method when I was 11 or so and have been doing that ever since and don't even think about it. But if I'd never done it and tried it now at 42 I can imagine I might hurt something!
'86 2001
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 1:31am
Wow, that's a rare Century outboard in phenomenal shape! 25HP...?

Quite similar to the Penn Yan Swift which were built on the lake I grew up on (Keuka Lake NY)

I've also got a 75 Mark II & come from a long line of Century owners........good to see another Century on the site!!

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 1:54am
Wow, 18 month later thread resurrection!

I think someone needs to invent a drop ski on a bungee so when dropped it springs toward the boat and can be reeled in.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 11:27am
Originally posted by FUN-9C1 FUN-9C1 wrote:

Originally posted by john_33612 john_33612 wrote:

It probably is alot easier to learn the one leg method when you're a kid. Has anyone learned to do that as a full grown 200 lb male? I learned that method when I was 11 or so and have been doing that ever since and don't even think about it. But if I'd never done it and tried it now at 42 I can imagine I might hurt something!

It boggles my mind that anyone would consider the one-foot start more difficult, either skill-wise or injury-wise. If you think its harder, then youre doing something wrong!   
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 11:37am
The new ski I started using last fall made it even harder for me to get up, more of a struggle than I like but the way it turns makes it worth it. I've always gotten up with just one foot in, but tried a few times with both just to see if it helped. It was worse, at least for me.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 12:27pm
I've had the double wrap since 96, but I found 1 foot was so much less effort, the ski naturally adjusts attitude providing immediate lift.
Plus the flying dock starts were fun, miss that.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 12:35pm
The easiest starts I've ever done are hop starts, leave a bit of slack, boat takes off, hop once or twice and you're up. But, around here they are pretty strict about not letting you start from shore so we stopped a long time ago.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 1:17pm
chicks do it best

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
john_33612 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john_33612 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 1:20pm
started one foot out my whole life , popped right up , then one day it snapped , wait till you get over 50 , things change http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=45182
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic