NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

LED Trailer Light Problems

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LED Trailer Light Problems
    Posted: September-20-2010 at 2:43pm
I have read several forums on trailer lights and am still stumped here. Bought a new LED light kit for the trailer and was going to wait till this winter to install them after refurbishing my #2 trailer, but the old ones were not worth a flip and burned bulbs like they were 93 octane.

Here are the details:
2001 Plymouth Voyager- yes that is a mini van but it works

New LED kit including 2 tail lights, 2 side markers and middle 3 light strip, new wires and connector.

I know the lights are wired on the trailer correctly because Marty hooked it up to his truck and everything worked as it should.

When connected to my van the turn signals and hazards work and that is about it. When I apply the brakes it shuts down the blinkers and the brake lights do not come on.

When I put the van in reverse all of the running lights come on and the tail lights are full on like I am braking.

All of the lights in the van work just fine but somewhere between the van and trailer there is a problem. The wiring harness can only be installed one way and I figured the kit I put on there last year had gone bad somehow so I went and bought another $60 wiring kit, installed it and same symptoms!

Trying to tow the Skier down to Lake Norman this weekend so I have 5 days to figure it out before I make the 2 hour interstate journey.

Any ideas? I am at a total loss here!

Thanks
Keegan
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 3:59pm
Keegan,
With your vehical, you may need one of these Modulite converters or somethings up with the tow vehical wiring. Did it work before you went with the LED's?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Keegan,
With your vehical, you may need one of these Modulite converters or somethings up with the tow vehical wiring. Did it work before you went with the LED's?

Thanks Pete
The wiring kit for the van has a converter like that already wired into the system.(Thats why it is $60) It is supposed to be plug and play. I thought that all the lights worked before but now I am not so sure. I used to pull over in front of my house and turn on the hazards to make sure everything was hooked up after pulling out of the driveway. The brake lights may have never worked! A guy driving behind me last Sunday waved me down at a stop light and told me I had no brake lights. That is when I decided to go ahead and put on the new lights and wires right away. The old wires were in terrible shape so I just figured something had come loose and caused the problem.

I know the trailer is wired right because it all worked plugged up to Marty's truck. Has to be something to do with the wiring, but there is no way to wire it wrong. Everything is connected with clips that can only go on one way. I was certain the converter was fried and was shocked when that did not fix the problem. I don't know what else it could be.

Still scratching my head!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 4:52pm
Keegan,

Pete is correct. You need a Module if you vehicle was not set up with a factory Towing Package. Also, look for blown fuses in your fuse box. My Tahoe has a Fuse Box under the dash and one under the hood.

There is a lot of good info on the I-Boats.com Forums on this subject. Just go to the Towing section. However, it is the Module that you need.

Donald
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 5:25pm
Keegan,
Make sure the module you purchased just isn't the 2/3 lamp "converter". The Modulite is different. I also seem to remember that the Mopar vans do need the fancy modules. Some Jeeps too!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jonas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 5:33pm
Hi keegan

to me it sounds like you have a bad connection on the negative wire.

if you all new wires on the trailer then it might on the car.

have you tried it on another car?

jonas
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 5:36pm
It must be the module, but the wiring kit and module I have are specific to my van so you would think that it would work.. Will look over on the other website and see if I can learn anything.

As for the fuses, wouldn't I be having problems with the lights on my van if I had a blown fuse?

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by jonas jonas wrote:

Hi keegan

to me it sounds like you have a bad connection on the negative wire.

if you all new wires on the trailer then it might on the car.

have you tried it on another car?

jonas

Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

I know the trailer is wired right because it all worked plugged up to Marty's truck.

I wish it was just a loose ground wire on the trailer!

1973 Skier
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 8:11pm

As for the fuses, wouldn't I be having problems with the lights on my van if I had a blown fuse?

Keegan,

Only if your van has a towing package option. I do not know what you have. My fuse for Trailer lights are what have blown in the past.

I hope this helps,

Donald
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 8:20pm
Does your mini-van have seperate brake lights and turn signal bulbs. If so, make sure you have the right module for that application.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 8:32pm
The module is used when you have seperate stop, and turn signals ( like amber turn and red stop and red running lights) thus the 3/2 0r 2/3.

Some vans have a seperate fuse for trailer lights so if the trailer blows a fues you still have lights working on the van. Location of this will require a trip through the owners manual.

I had a Ford Aerostar once and it was hidden in a rear panel with no easy access at least until I had to change a fuse then I add an access port.

The 5 wire plug is usually used if you want back up lights on the trailer. A flat 5 trailer plug will plug into a truck 4 and a flat 4 trailer will fit a flat 5truck and work but the 5th wire option will not.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 9:18pm
Ok I am starting to understand it all. To answer some questions
Donald- This was not a factory tow package. I added the hitch and the wiring kit which bridges between the two headlights so I think that means there could not be a separate fuse for just the tow lights. But I will investigate further.

3 separate bulbs on the van tail lights
4-pin flat harness on trailer and van
Dont think the trailer lights have reverse indicators

So now I have to determine what the setup should be 3/2 or 2/3. This has to be the point of failure.

Would pics help? WIll get out there after dinner and see what I can figure out.

Thanks for bearing with me guys!!!!

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 11:59pm
So assuming you have the right module lets start at the beginning.

Where does the ground from the trailer terminate (to the trailer frame or into the 4 pin plug

Was the trailer actually hitched to the van when you tested the lights.

What I'm thinking is a ground problem either on the trailers end or the way the plug-n-play system is grounded. Thoughts??
79TiqueRebuild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 12:18am
This gives some advice. I am not in favor of probing through the wire insulation. But you can slightly open the connectors to reveal the pins and probe them. A test light is pretty handy but a multimeter works well too.
trailer light testing

hope this helps. Monty
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 12:43am
Keeg,

What some of the guys are talking about 'fuses' being blown for the trailer hookup. I was looking under your hood when we killed the battery, and I think the harness behind the battery is for a 'tow' package-- or what the guys are saying the fuses, hookup for a trailer. Look some more under your hood for a fuse box or something labeled trailer lights. This might be where the problem lies, but as I was saying ,some of these 'newer' cars, the computer handles everything, thus the smaller wires you see throughout the vehicle. Check your manual to see if there is a trailer fuse box under the hood, and then you could go the other option with the U-Haul folks.

The 'new' converter you got, did it also hook up over to the right side too? Looking at all the ones on-line and they just have the one harness hookup on the driver's side tailight. Keep me posted.
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 1:45am
Marty- I got tied up with the family this evening so I never got back out there but the new wiring kit was identical to the one I already had. The module hides behind the tail light and then jumps across to the passenger tail light.

Paul- Both tail lights have their own ground and the main ground on the trailer harness terminates on the trailer frame. We did not have the trailer connected to Marty's truck, just the harness. If I disconnect the main ground all the lights go out so I am pretty sure the ground is good enough.

Monty- Thanks for posting that video. That is exactly what Marty and I were doing, but now I understand it better.

I will let you know what I find tomorrow. Thanks for all the input. Every little bit helps!

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 1:50am
This looks just like the one that I have and the new one that I bought
Wiring Kit

Thanks Monty great website

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 2:00am

This looks just like the one that I have and the new one that I bought
Wiring Kit

Thanks Monty great website

I was just looking at these pictures closer and see that this one has a ground wire connected to the module. Mine does not nor does the new one I bought. Now looking at the box I see that the one they gave me yesterday at Napa is for a 2000 Voyager and has no ground connected to the module. The one listed on this website for the 2001 model has the ground and is $5 cheaper!

This sounds like good news. If all I have to do is change out to the correct harness I will be very happy.   

1973 Skier
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 11:35am
The one you had Keeg, remember it had a plug to snake over to the right side tail light too. If all the wires were indeed in that one harness behind the driver's side tail light, the pic doesn't show that 'right' side harness. But then again some of those pics are 'universal' pics.
66 Skylark
93 SN
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 4:24pm
Eureka!!! After hours of "learning" I have discovered that in this particular application it is imperative that you install the correct wiring kit. Doh!

After looking at the box for the kit my wife bought on Sunday it clearly said on the box that it was for a 2000 Voyager, but it looked like the one I put in last year. My confusion was compounded by the fact that I falsely thought my lights were operating correctly before installing the LED's.

The new kit installs behind the driver tail light and does not jump over to the passenger side. Took me about 5 minutes to install the new kit since I am now well versed at removing the bumper cover and tail lights, and more importantly putting them back together.

Everyone's comments helped me figure this out and better understand how the different lights work. Another happy correctcraftfan.com moment.

Thanks Fellas!

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 5:14pm

After looking at the box for the kit my wife bought on Sunday it clearly said on the box that it was for a 2000 Voyager,

Man I can't believe your dropping the dime on the wife for this deboggle.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 5:24pm
So, I take it they're working now? That jumper scared me a little when I saw it.How'd you check the brake lights? Tell the dog to put 'em on, or stuck an umbrella between the seat and pedal?
Now you gotta hook up the side marker lights!!
66 Skylark
93 SN
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2010 at 5:49pm
Really I am blaming the guy at Napa who sold it to her. She was just the messenger and knew what year the van was when I asked her. I think they just said "close enough" and gave her the 2000 kit. What are ya gonna do? I should have studied the box before I wasted my time.

Marty I have it all going on now! I used a cinder block to hold down the brake pedal. Since there are no holes to bolt the side markers to I am thinking about screwing a 90 degree metal bracket to the front of my bunks and mounting them there. That is about as close as I am going to get to half way between the hitch and axle without drilling into the trailer somewhere.

Theses things are at least 3X as bright as the original incandescent lights. Definitely safer and more visible, and I am not going to miss replacing bulbs all the time either! I am a very happy camper!

1973 Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic