NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Floor Removal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floor Removal
    Posted: September-21-2010 at 8:49pm
Can someone give advice on floor removal tools, tips methods existing links etc ? Thanks Brian 78 martinique
Brian
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2010 at 8:44am
Brian,
A Sawsall works good cutting the glass next to the hull. Also if you have a 4&1/2" right angle, Harbor has some cheap diamond blades. That set up gets close to the hull as well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 12:19pm
Brian,
I used a circular saw with the blade set just deep enough to cut through the glass.
I scribed a line leaving 2" along the wall as reference and a strong back to help keep the hull shape.

As for tools I found a wonder bar, prybar and hammer to work well. I did use a 4" grinder with a diamond blade to get the places that I couldn't get with the circular saw.

Now the foam... I've seen so many people fighting that stuff with everything from pitch forks to garden shovels.
I found if you use a small hand saw and saw along the stringers and the wall, you can then use the wonder bar to pop it out in blocks, saving time and mess.
Use the saw like a jab saw and push all the way through till you feel it hit the hull.

82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 1:22pm
The skill saw is a very good way to go. Leave the last 1 1/2" or so to use as the final elevation reference. This edge should stay until after all your Main and secondaries are in.
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 9:00pm
Thanks alot guys, assuming you want alot of teeth and a carbide blade on the skill saw? I am amazed at how hard that stuff is, it makes sparks!
Brian
82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 11:16pm
Brian,

Yes carbide tipped will work. The glass will be about 1/4" or so.

If you run with the guard against the side you will get a good line and cut. No marking required. Do NOT cut to deep when you get near the front as the hull bottom is just below the floor in the driver observer area.

Wear safety glasses and a mask for your safety.

Dennis
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic