NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage Outboards

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vintage Outboards
    Posted: September-27-2010 at 5:44pm
These have been sitting around in my grandma's garage forever. Wondering if anyone would have a good home for them. The small green clinton motor we may donate to a local museum. But the 10hp johnson and the 2hp evinrude are pretty cool.

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2010 at 6:07pm
Get EM Pete!!

cool old stuff put em up on evil-pay you will more than likely get good $$$$ for the old motors
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2010 at 6:13pm
Mike,
At the show this last weekend, we had one of the antique/classic outboard members there with his collection on display. I even think he was from Iowa!!

There is a nation wide club. Do some searching as they must have a web site. See if you can post them for sale there.

No Jodi, I've got enough projects taking me in different direction now!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2010 at 6:14pm
haha thanks a lot for the info. We have a couple other ones sitting around in the old fish house as well, maybe I'll do a little research. Just seeing if one of these was one anyone was dying for their project.

They have some family history, so parting with them may be tough. But, I wanted to learn about their worth a little bit. Thanks again.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2010 at 6:22pm
I bet that Evinrude is worth some pretty good money.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2010 at 6:48pm
Mike...I thought you were going to mount the evinrude on the bow of the 90 as your trolling motor?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2010 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I bet that Evinrude is worth some pretty good money.

Bruce,
Sadly, most of the old O/B's don't go for much. I have a feeling it's due to the quantities they were made in plus the fact that so many where just stashed in boat houses/garages and not tossed out (or burnt) like some of the old wood boats. The only ones that seem to be in demand are the old Elto's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2010 at 9:12pm
There is a group, I think it is called the "Antique Outboards" -They send out a qtrly magazine with some very cool looking older motors and discussions. When I joined I think it was like $50 for 2 years.
Cool motors by-the-way. I've got a '56 Johnson 30HP on the Hutchuck wooden boat. Except for being a bit smelly, it runs like a champ.
~Peter
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2010 at 9:52pm
Yes in general not worth very much, depends on your definition of "very much" though.. I have never been able to part with enough money to get even into the 1940s 4 cylinder evinrudes/johnsons... much less the ultra cool and rare prewar varients (saw a great example of a 110hp alcohol burning pre war evinrud at crussen classics yesterday... not cheap by anyone's standards).. You will spend some money on anything with factory race heritage.. the mercurys command more than the omc stuff around here with the exception of the old omc gear...

A couple I was too cheap to buy last week

64 mark 15

1949 super ten

1946 Speeditwin

1948 Speedifour

The last one I almost convinced myself I needed but it is just not as cool looking as the earlier ones and not cheap enough to buy as a short term substitute.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2010 at 10:36pm
I've got an Evenrude twin 3Hp from the 60's that makes my 17'Chactaw Canoe scary fast! Fast being your butt will grab the seat.   
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2010 at 10:50pm
I have 3 old mercs I have been looking to sell. I'll have to look into the sites for them.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2010 at 10:54pm
Well then I guess I have my winter projects now. Heres my dads '50 super 10 and my gramps '36? champion.We don't throw much out except CC bucket seats and misc windshield parts D'ooh

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2010 at 10:56pm
Horkn

I'm looking for Mercury KE7, KF7, or KG7 for my runabout project. post up some pics.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2010 at 11:06pm
Gary,here's one on craigslist,looks to be all there too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2010 at 11:16pm
Gary, that seems like a deal.

Here's the hydro I used to own. It had a Mark 30 racing engine. It ran about 6500-7000 rpm and had a loud exhaust unlike any engine I've ever heard. It sounded great. I've seen a lot of pics of these on the net of restored engines, but have no idea what they're worth today. I paid $325 for it in 1973. Sold it in pieces for $150.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 12:33am
Not to ruin a surprise, but I think this is what Gary-65cuda- wants to put it on. Yeah Baby--PURPLE!
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 1:03am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Here's the hydro I used to own.I paid $325 for it in 1973.

That was a good chunk of change back then Bruce,must have been alot of lawn cutting! Thats one thing that passed us by here,I remember only 1 person having one around here back then.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 1:34am
Marty, that's a tiny utility. Cool boat.

Gary, the engine was $325. We paid $100 for the boat. It was a good chunk of change. I remember my mother took one look at at the engine when I got it home and she said, "why couldn't you have bought a normal engine"? We ran the boat for a few weeks and blew 2 power heads and that was it. We sold everything the next year. It was a lot of fun while it lasted.
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 10:38am
The runabout is an A class boat, only 10 feet long. The cowling is removable and there is another small cockpit under there. Marty, sad to say, the purple may go this winter in favor of a more classic look. The Kf7 is above my limit if it not a runner. I'm really looking for a tower and foot right now, I've found a motor with a 22 cu in. powerhead but I need the tower and foot from a K motor.

Should be fun!
alfame1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfame1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2010 at 11:46pm
Gents,

here is a link to the decals used on the old outboards. You can still order them, albeit they're reproductions. I just received mine for my 38 Johnson DT-38, and it is perfect. http://www.americanoutboard.com/
Connelly HP 66
NEDLUTZ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEDLUTZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 12:22am
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 1:05am
Mike,
Is that Johnson 10HP a QD15? If so, its circa 1954. I have one that looks just like it we are hoping to get running for use on a late 50'5 Aero-craft row boat.   If you decide to sell, I might be interested.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 1:23am
Don't tell me your giving up on the 6 Steve
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 1:37am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Don't tell me your giving up on the 6 Steve

It's tempting!

Actually, a couple of friends are coming over Saturday. We are hoping to take the 'skier out to see if we can figure out anything.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 2:28am
Originally posted by alfame1 alfame1 wrote:

Gents,

here is a link to the decals used on the old outboards. You can still order them, albeit they're reproductions. I just received mine for my 38 Johnson DT-38, and it is perfect. http://www.americanoutboard.com/

Pictures of Bill's (alfame1) '38 Johnson. He inherited it from his grandfather.    

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2010 at 12:54am
We used to have an old Johnson 10 just like this, it was maroon and white though. They made a ton of torque! We used to kneeboard with it with our 12ft sears aluminum boat. Of course, we weighed about 90 pounds at the time.

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2011 at 10:12pm
The collector value of some of these old outboards isn't as much as one might think.   In most cases the pistons are scored.

sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2011 at 10:49pm
tell me what your wanting for them, you can email me or call me either way lets talk.
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2011 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by sweet77 sweet77 wrote:

tell me what your wanting for them, you can email me or call me either way lets talk.

Who me? I have no idea how much I want for them. How many do you want? I think we have 3-4 old motors in the shed. 10hp johnson is pry the sweetest looking one. I can take a few more pics of the rest of them if you wish.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic