NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rechroming Recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nautique5454 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique5454 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rechroming Recommendation
    Posted: September-28-2010 at 7:37pm
Looking to have my Correct Craft emblems rechromed, any recommendations? How much would I be looking at?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by nautique5454 nautique5454 wrote:

Looking to have my Correct Craft emblems rechromed, any recommendations? How much would I be looking at?

Chris,
First you'll need to find a plater that can handle a zinc die casting. Not all are equipped to do it.

Depending on how bad the pitting is, you may end up with a bill of a couple hundred or more. The worst the pitting is, the more they need to plate. The pits are filled with multiple "coats" of copper and buffed between each until the pits are filled.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 8:33pm
Chris,
I just looked up the phone numbers of three platers I'd recommend.

Graves Plating at 256 746 9487

B&L Plating at 586 778 9300

Wade Technology at 215 765 2478

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 9:31pm
Bruce Middleton
Absolute Classics Marine
250 807-2194

Says he can get the pair done for $100 shipping and handling included.
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique5454 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 2:51pm
I'll have to give Bruce a call. I got a few estimates from some websites I found on Google. They are asking for around $300 for both, much more than what I had expected! Thought it would be a nice touch up though
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Bruce Middleton
Absolute Classics Marine
250 807-2194

Says he can get the pair done for $100 shipping and handling included.

Marty,
Do you know this person? Done work with them? I'm just wondering why you would recommend a broker/restorer who's just going to take the job to a plater especially one who's way out in BC. Why not just work with the plater directly?

BTW, I'd be very surprised if they can do them for $100. That price may be without getting any of the pitting out????

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kevin's '79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin's '79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 6:38pm
I agree with Pete about recommending Graves Plating. I have had items done there in the past and have seen a lot of there work. They always do excellent work. Their shop is less than 2 miles from where I live.

Kevin
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2010 at 2:38pm
I have met Bruce at several shows here in the Northwest and he is a top notch guy. If he quotes you $100, I am sure that it would be done for that. The catch is that the $100 he quoted to Marty was for new bronze castings that he had made. Anyone that has tried to rechrome vintage boat parts knows that it is not easy. The prep, polishing, and cleaning of the parts prior to chrome is where ALL the money goes. I had a vintage finned (of course) bow light at a plater for a project. After four tries, the copper base kept blistering because of the impurities in the metal. With close to $250 invested, we decided to give up and now I have a blistered copper plated bow light on my desk. Stick with the guys that know marine parts and make sure they know the condition of the part prior to sending it across country for a "deal".
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2010 at 7:59am
Originally posted by FINS FINS wrote:

The prep, polishing, and cleaning of the parts prior to chrome is where ALL the money goes.

This is what most people don't understand. They think the plater simply sticks the metal part in a tank of chemicals and when pulled out it's bright and shiny! What you put in the tank is what comes out. If the part is dull, pitted and scratched going in, then that's what comes out. Old parts are even tougher since all the original plating must come off first so the part can be buffed out.

When I did my Atom, being familiar with plating and wanting to save big $$, I did the labor intensive work myself. Lots of man hours stripping and buffing!!! Then when I took them to the plater, he was actually pissed!! I had done the work where he made his profits!

BTW, I stripped the old plating by sand blasting. Bad idea!!! The resulting surface finish required more buffing!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2010 at 4:14pm
The original material makes a HUGE difference as well. Some of the 1955-59 glass boats I have been playing with have emblems made with metal that is one step above Play-Doh. If these are pitted, you are almost out of luck. The metal acts like a sponge and contaminates get in the metal. You can grind right through all the detail on small name plates to try and get to good metal.

The older the boat, the easier the cleaning process. Solid brass items can be cleaned and plated FAIRLY easily. The solid brass parts ended in the 40's though for most of the boat companies.
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2010 at 4:35pm
Brian,
I lucked out on my 54. The only zinc die casting was the bow light. He was able to do a decent job on it however the top broke off next to the burgee staff socket. It was very obvious the platter did lots of metal removal with buffing that area out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2010 at 9:27pm
Chris,
I was just wondering and curious if you made any calls to platers yet as well as Marty's recommendation to call Bruce about the reproductions.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique5454 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2010 at 12:11am
Pete,
Not yet. I was hoping to pull them off this weekend and get some pics so I can get the most accurate estimates. I'll keep you posted..

Thanks,
Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic