Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
apbtpetey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apbtpetey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water pump
    Posted: September-29-2010 at 2:30pm
Okay finally got around to working on the boat and need a water pump. I posted before looking for one on here, but then got side tracked by other projects. Anyway here is the info.

1975 correct mustang 17
OMC 225 engine model #990311R
serial #W270182

I need to know where I can purchase a water pump for this boat. It is the last part I need to complete this boat.

I talked with a rep from an on-line store and they couldn't find this model number in their system, but said they had a water pump for a model #990211R the pump is made by Sierra and has a sku-number of SIE-18-3583 below is a link to the part. Would it work for my engine???

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/pc/SIE-18-3583///Water+Circulating+Pump+(Gm+V6+And+V8).html
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2010 at 3:59pm
Whoever,
Are you looking for the raw water pump or the circulating pump?

If it's the RWP, the reason they couldn't find the pump is because it's a OMC and no longer available. You may be ables to rebuild it with bearings and seals from a power transmission distributor. The impeller is still available. (someone will come along with a part #)

If not rebuilable, then your best bet is to convert to a crank driven pump. Get ahold of Billy as he's got all the info and parts/pump needed for the conversion

BTW, I don't think your engine has a circulating pump. That guy you talked to wasn't the correct person!!!!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2010 at 4:11pm
BTW, your memory must be as bad as mine! We've already been through the problem in this thread from June Did you ever talk to Billy back then?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
apbtpetey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apbtpetey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 2:24pm
Yeah I forgot about that thread. I am really confused now though with this. I swear my father said it was a ford small block, but I was talking with a local well known boat place and they said that OMC used both ford and GM engines and when they looked up the engine model they said it comes up as a GM block and have the water pump in stock for $219 but that I would have to go to a GM parts place to get the pulley for it.

So you can see where I am confused as I have 3 different stories here. Is there anyway to tell for 100% what engine is in this boat for sure. I have no problem doing the conversion if I have to.

I can take pictures of the engine if that will help. On the exhaust it reads OMC and the numbers 225 are on the valve cover. The distributor is located on the rear of the engine and the water pump is belt driven and if looking at the front of the engine it mounts on the lower left part of the engine.

Sorry for being such a pain in the butt. I just hate seeing such a good boat sitting idle.

Thanks again,
John
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 2:45pm
Its a chevy. I've got (basically) the same engine.
Next question. Do you need the circulating pump as asked about above, or do you need the raw water pump as asked about in the older thread. I am guessing you need the raw water pump, as they are typically what goes, but I can't make that determination from here.
If it is the RWP, as indicated in the old thread, as indicated there, and here, you would be hard pressed to find a used/original pump. They come up ocassionally, but are pretty scarce and as stated on the other thread (I believe) I sent mine to DEPCO and they said they couldnt rebuild it.
Quickest, easiest, cheapest route to go is the Johnson crank driven pump on the CorrectParts website listed above. Bolts right up to your balancer. I'll try to take a picture tonight.

Pete, it does have a circ pump, too.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 2:49pm
John,
A picture of the front of the engine sure would help. This will help confirm that it is the raw water pump that you need. With the distributor on the aft end of the block, it's a GM but, that would only come to play if you need the circulating pump. As mentioned, chances are you may not even have a circ pump on that OMC. The RWP would be common for ether the GM or Ford.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Pete, it does have a circ pump, too.

Larry,
I'm not sure!! The real early ones didn't but then I seem to remember they went the less expensive route and just got the blocks with the circ pump. This way, no special block off plate/casting was needed to plug up the hole.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
apbtpetey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apbtpetey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 3:48pm
Pete and Larry thanks for the replies

I am very new to boats and just had this one thrown in my lap so to speak. I was only told it needs a water pump. It's pouring out here today, but I can take a picture of the front of the engine tomorrow after work and post it here. I don't have the old one (long story) I just know it mounts on the front of the engine. IIRC it mounts with 3 bolts. I just know when my father took off the old one he said the seal was leaking, he replaced the seal, but the pump is no longer to be found thanks to my step-mom.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 3:58pm
John,
From your decription saying that it mounts with 3 bolts to the front of the engine is telling me it is the RWP.

With a older boat and engine like yours, please come here first. The normal "marine" parts sources you find on line are not the place to go.

Give Billy a call (or Karen) and they'll give you a idea of the costs to retrofit to a crank driven RWP.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Give Billy a call (or Karen) and they'll give you a idea of the costs to retrofit to a crank driven RWP.

Karen's got the pump for $167.

You will need a bracket. The brackets that are available point the inlet/outlet to port side which doesnt work out real well for our appplication. I cobbed toghether a bracket for a few bucks. Again, I'll try to post pics. Then you need to get hoses to it. I rummaged around the radiator hose department at an auto parts store till I found ones the right diameter with the right bend. Only down side ot those is they are not reinforced and can collapse when running on a hose, but for normal use, they are fine.

Just fyi the old pump you dont have any more originally looked like this.

Lower left hand corner pulley.

and this:

You can catch a glimpse of the crank mount about half way through this short video
(Same boat/engine...just freshened up a little)

apbtpetey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apbtpetey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2010 at 4:19pm
Thanks again guys for all the help. Yeah the part I am missing looks to be the RWP. I took a picture, but don't have the camera with me at work to upload it. Looking at the above pictures it has to be the rwp. I will give Karen/Bill a call about it when I get a chance. Any chance of a pre-made bracket being available or do I have to fab one? Also can I use the hoses that are there or will I need to find different ones?

thanks again,
John
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2010 at 4:45pm
John,
Talk to billy but I feel you're on your own with brackets. However, if Larry can do it, you won't have any problems!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
apbtpetey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apbtpetey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2010 at 5:14pm
Trust me I have no problem fabing stuff, but if there are pre-made ones all the better.

Also being new to the boat thing. Is there anything special i have to do to the boat if i want to take it out in salt water. I go Cape Cod alot during the summer and would like to take it out while there as well. It would mainly be out in Lewis bay so not open water and I would not be keeping in the water, but it would be on a trailer. It will mainly be in fresh water, but would like to use it while out on the cape as well.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2010 at 10:38am
You need to flush the motor out after every use. I would also rinse your bilge and anything else that gets saltwater on or in it.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2010 at 8:41am
John,
I got your private message email via the site with the ebay link to the Sherwood RWP. I can't respond via private message since your email address in your profile in marked private so here's some more on the subject.

Reviewing the problem, you have a OMC that was equipped with a OEM RWP that's not made anymore or available. Even Depco Pump (biggest pump distributor/repair outfit in the country) can't help with a OMC RWP. The Sherwood you found is not the same pump and not a bolt in replacement. Whether you go with a belt driven pump like the Sherwood or a crank driven pump like Billy/Karen offer, brackets will need to be fabricated. I suggest going with the crank driven retrofit that's already been done and works. If you still want to go with a belt drive retrofit, I caution you on sheave sizing that will determine the RWP's RPM and the gallons of water it will pump. Engineering charts are available online at both the Sherwood and Jabsco sites. With the crank driven, the pump is sized correctly for the engine RPM's - no belt drive ratio's to deal with.

BTW, some affectionately call that OMC RWP "the pump they copied from a washing machine"!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2010 at 11:11am
Peter, if you get a chance give me a call..........Boat dr
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic