NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Leak at Dip Stick

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Leak at Dip Stick
    Posted: September-30-2010 at 7:23pm
Noticed there was some oil in the bilge on Monday when I was cleaning her up after Reid's amazing party this weekend. There was enough that it had dripped and run towards the drain plug and made a small pool. Maybe half an ounce to an ounce of oil in all including what was on the oil pan. Cleaned everything from the bilge up and traced it to the dipstick outlet. Is this an easy fix? Thanks guys I am just learning about engines since buying this boat.

"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 8:28pm
Just recently a couple of other guy's posted about the same thing. But the computer wiz that am I can't find them. Wire brush it & clean it off with acetone or brake cleaner - twice then put a thin film of BLACK RTV on it and thats it.(use a tooth pick to get behind the tube)
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

Just recently a couple of other guy's posted about the same thing.

here's the thread

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 11:14pm
Thank you Pete and Andy.

Sounds easy enough. Will post some pics when the repair is all finished. Luckily I have all the materials too!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 11:37pm
I think this is one of those things that are the difference between a marine engine and a car.That part I have a picture of in the other thread was taken out of a PCM that had a rusted out pan.I saved it because my engine has the same dipstick as Keegans and I thought next time the engines out I'll put it in.I just went out and looked and sure enough I can see some blue rtv down in mine.Just try to get it as clean as you can,I know you must have some acetone left
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2010 at 1:58am
Yes sir Gary I have plenty of acetone left and kind of miss the smell

1973 Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2010 at 7:49am
It's really too bad that the marinizers went cheap in the mid 60's with the stamped steel pans. With the old cast iron or cast aluminum pans you never had a problem. I can't imagine a salt water boat getting much life out of a steel pan at all.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2010 at 8:25am
Eric, what's the name of that cheese whiz stuff(permatex) you told me about? That stuff is what I used for this app and it would be tough to pull out now. Pretty amazing stuff when used sparingly.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic