Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

78 Mustang, What to look for ????

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nhcc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nhcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 78 Mustang, What to look for ????
    Posted: October-12-2010 at 11:35am
I'm looking for a classic Correct craft.I found a 1978 Correct Craft Mustang in my area for sale and thinking about going and taking a look at it. The big question is What should I look for? Any advice would be great. Thanks
2000 Sport Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2010 at 3:18pm
Hi Mike, welcome to a fellow NH'er.

Hull condition first, how are the stringers, gel, does it appear to have sat in water uncovered, etc. That's the big stuff. Then the mechanical, is it a running engine, look like it was taken care of.

A lot depends on whether you want a project or a drop it in and run boat. For me, the go/no go is whether the stringers are gone or not, I just don't have the desire to tackle that job. You can try tightening all the motor mount bolts and get a rough read from that, also poke around with a screwdriver or punch to look for rot. Is there a listing or some pictures so we could take a look?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2010 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Is there a listing or some pictures so we could take a look?

Craigslist ad
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2010 at 6:27pm
Poking with a screwdriver isn't going to tell you a lot about the stringers. 99% of the time the rot is in the bottom half of the stringer,and the top can look fine. Take a bolt out of the motor mount and look at the end of it. It it is wet, rusted and/or the threads just about gone, then the stringers are bad.
Tim D
nhcc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nhcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2010 at 1:27pm
Thats the one.
2000 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic