Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Standard of Care for Boat Repair

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skfitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Standard of Care for Boat Repair
    Posted: October-16-2010 at 7:05pm
Suppose you called a local shop and explained that your boat had sucked-in a lot of debris and began to overheat and that you wanted the shop to replace the impeller, flush the system, and get the debris out. Would you expect that the shop would pull the intake hose to check for debris? Tranny oil cooler?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2010 at 11:37am
yes
"the things you own will start to own you"
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2010 at 1:31am
Not to mention pulling the T-stat and drain plugs and reaming them out with a wire.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
skfitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2010 at 1:43am
I posted the whole story in this thread yesterday but deleted it. Shop owner kinda threatened physical violence when I brought the proof in to his shop, and he probably looks in here now and then. He'd recognize the story, and I really don't need that.

Suffice it to say the shop missed the massive clog in the intake side of the tranny oil cooler and I nearly cooked my engine.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2010 at 2:03am
Originally posted by skfitz skfitz wrote:

I posted the whole story in this thread yesterday but deleted it. Shop owner kinda threatened physical violence when I brought the proof in to his shop, and he probably looks in here now and then. He'd recognize the story, and I really don't need that.

Suffice it to say the shop missed the massive clog in the intake side of the tranny oil cooler and I nearly cooked my engine.

Sounds like an admission of guilt on the shop's behalf. I dealt with the same level of incompetence when I had my motor worked on this summer. If it had not been for the CCF community and a good friend of mine they may have ruined my engine.

Too bad you erased the rest of the thread. Other shop owners might think twice before they sign up for a job they know nothing about if they see that we can call their bluffs.

If you paid them to fix it and you fixed it yourself, they should refund your money - period. Otherwise you paid them to take a CE course.

On the other hand- I know you are happy to have the issue resolved which can be priceless...
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2010 at 9:07am
If you must use a marina, find a new one! I'd be posting the marina's name as well as owners/managers names as well!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2010 at 10:36am
Originally posted by skfitz skfitz wrote:

I posted the whole story in this thread yesterday but deleted it. Shop owner kinda threatened physical violence when I brought the proof in to his shop, and he probably looks in here now and then.

45 ACP
...those who have fallen and those who will.
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2010 at 12:37pm
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
skfitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2010 at 5:10pm
I'd love to 'out' him, but my e-veil on this site is pretty thin, and i'm not willing to risk finding out whether his intent was to make a threat or just make a point. Odds are on the former.
skfitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2010 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

If you must use a marina, find a new one! I'd be posting the marina's name as well as owners/managers names as well!!

I do most of my own repairs on everything -- from cars to roofs to vacuum cleaners (my list from last weekend). I took the boat in this time because I thought I didn't have time to learn all I needed to know to properly do what the shop should have done AND do the repair in my timeframe. I paid $640 (it hurts to even type that !!!) for what I now know was likely no more than replacing an impeller. While that figure is WAY too much for an impeller job, it's representative of my opportunity cost for lost time had I done myself what the shop should have done. So even though I think i was ripped off on the cost, I could have swallowed it if the work I wanted to have done had been completed with minimal competence. It was in these 'discussions' with the owner that I was given reason to fear for the continued location and condition of my teeth.

Pete, I am fast learning to be my own marina man. At this point (thanks to archive searches here), i don't think anything I've done has been done as poorly as the things I've paid to have done. What a shame...
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2010 at 6:04pm
bring it to me next time and i'll do it half price
skfitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2010 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

bring it to me next time and i'll do it half price

lol... If he'd told me that's what I would end up getting for the $, it woulda never happened.
charger496 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2010 at 6:53pm
Post the name of the marina! Worst case, he knocks your teeth out, and you own a marina! Then you can become the reputable repair shop that we all need.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic