NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1977 Ski Nautique Ressurection

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2010 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by charger496 charger496 wrote:

Oh, and the engine water pump (not the RWP) is leaking like a siev. Guess I should've ordered a new one weeeks ago.

My water pump is leaking too and needs to be replaced.
Your boat looks great! You are way ahead for the spring.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
charger496 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2010 at 1:26pm
Keegan,
I'm at work right now, so I don't have the part # in front of me, but I got the water pump from Advance Auto Parts by cross-referencing a NAPA part #. Discount Inboard wanted $130 for one, and I paid less than $70 for a rebuilt one. I'll post the part # soon. Works like a champ, boat runs...scratch that, ENGINE runs great. I hope to run it up to Lake Alatoona on friday or monday for a shakedown run before garaging it for the winter. My buddy has a fishing boat docked there so I'll have a chase boat in case something goes wrong.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2010 at 5:56pm
I already put mine up for the winter and want to replace the pump before spring, along with a few other things. Good luck with the first run!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 1:05am
Last November my shakedown run lasted about 30 minutes. I was in a really shallow part of an unfamiliar marina, and when the transmission wouldn't shift into neutral, I glanced off a metal dock. It tore the rub rail off the bow, but the rail did its job, and there was no other damage. When I adjusted the linkage and got it out of the no-wake zone, I gunned it to about 40 and the engine water pump started spewing water onto the crank pulley and spraying me and everything else in the boat. Anyway, new pump, finished interior, boat goes to Lake Burton next weekend. Here are some pictures...in the next post because I posted quick reply.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 1:12am
Pictures:It's a tight squeeze in the garage with the car and boat, so I'm looking foreward to taking it to the lake.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 3:11pm
nice!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 11:03pm
Charger, are you certaint hat the water pump you got from advance is a marine one with at least bi directional vanes on it?

There are RR and normal rotation 302/ 351W's out there so you can indeed get one that is made for the rotation your RR motor goes, but there are some differences between the marine one and an automotive one. Specifically, the auto one has a closed cooling system, and yours is an open cooling system. Meaning that there is not antifreeze in the boat to keep the steel pump vanes / impeller from corroding.   

That said, I am 99% certain that the wp on my 78 is an automotive one as it was not painted, and has the ford castings on it. It was on it when I got the boat 8-9 years ago, and aside from a slight drip every second or so from the gasket (not the shaft seal)it has never given me a reason to change it or question it's effectiveness.

Now that I have shiny bits on the motor, the drip will get fixed by me getting a new marine bidirectional WP with a new gasket to boot.

Your boat looks very nice, with an interesting use of fun noodles. ;)
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 11:52pm
Hey Tom,
I learned of the difference AFTER installing the new pump, but I did do a relatively thorough comparison of the new one to the old (I know it's a Cardinal Sin to buy boat parts at a car parts store). As I recall, the vanes were the same, and I think, made of brass?? I will check for sure before I go screaming down the lake at 5000 rpms with a pump pushing its vanes in a direction not intended. How bad could that be with 70 degree lake water?
I thought the noodle picture would get some laughs. 24 noodles from bow to stern. My youngest daughter laughs about it every time she climbs in the boat to "help".
jbish17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbish17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 12:59pm
Having seen this work up close and personal (charger is my brother) it is truly impressive to see how much time and effort have gone into this boat. We still have a good ways to go in order to complete everything on our list to refurbish the '77.

Question for the board....suggestions please: As you can see from the pics, we used red for the carpet. We are planning on going back with the original style writing on the sides of the boat and getting new skins for the interior.
1. What color? Red, blue, or black writing/decals?
2. What color(s) for the seats/engine cover?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 7:12pm
Well, the water pump worked as it should. The temp never went over about 165 during some "spirited" testing. The carb had a bog in it that went away on the third day of testing. The airbox is getting water in it, probably from a not-so-perfect fiberglass seal around the 3" hoses, but I put a drain there, so I'll seal it up better or keep draining it. The transmission leaks from the shifter output. Maybe Eric will see this and quote me for the o-ring. The issue of most concern, though, is the vibration from my old-ass Federal prop. Pretty bad from about 25 to 38 mph, then stays smooth to the 47 mph (Airguide) top speed. A new prop isn't in my future, but if anyone has a nice used prop gathering dust they want to part with, maybe I could finagle the $$ for that. All things considered, the boat did well, and I'm psyched about having it back together! My car is so lonely in the garage, now. Guess I have to spend more time driving it.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 7:20pm
Props always make good christmas gifts! Maybe you can ask for an advance?!

What about having your prop reworked? I would think you could be able to find a good shop local, or shipping can't be that bad.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 8:46pm
Yes, a tune up on the prop is a good idea but have you checked for a bent prop shaft?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 1:02pm
The shaft aligned properly. I tagged the lift bunks last year in rough water at idle speed and that dinged up the prop tips. I'll check the underwater side of the shaft.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 1:22pm
Earlier in my thread, we were discussing the prop. The boat isn't in my garage anymore, and I couldn't remember what the prop was. It's a 13x15 Dynajet, and was told that it wasn't worth repairing. There is a 13x13 for sale from one of the members, but is it worth having to lap a used prop? Would I pick up or lose performance by changing? The boat ran 47 mph at 4650ish rpm.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic