NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Upholstery Process

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upholstery Process
    Posted: October-19-2010 at 4:20am
My Boss asked if I could re-upholster his PWC seat and I thought it would make a good photo project for the site. Here is what I started with.

I took these to document the trim placement. Vinyl will be new but I will be re-using the factory trim pieces.

First I drilled the rivets holding on the passenger strap.

I then started to remove the trim pieces

I quickly tired of working on the floor and brought out my upholstery horses, they have a tray on top to hold tools or furniture legs, and have a padded cover.

The trim pieces went into the laundry tub for a good scrubing. the strap did not come very clean but the back side looks like new so it will be flipped for the re-install

This shows how close the stapples were spaced at the factory, took over an hour to remove the cover.

Here is the naked seat. it was a little wet and spent a day out in the sun drying.

Next a trip to the upholstery wholesaler to pick up a 4 way stretch vinyl typically used for snowmobile seats. Very high quality. $19 a yard. Purchased 1 1/4 yards for $25

I Folded the fabric in half in both directions and marked the centers. then drapped the fabrick over the horses finished side down and placed the seat upside down on top

Here is a magnetic tack hammer and tacks. The tacks are steril and are typicaly tucke like snuff between the teeth and gums. the tacks are manuvered head first with your tongue and placed on the magnetic end of the hammer to be driven to start positioning the vinyl. This is where the phrase so mad he was spitting tacks comes from.

The vinal is typically tacked in the centers of all sides, due to the complex shape of this seat more were required.

The piece is then flipped to get an idea of tighness and general apperance. THe vinyl is pulled tighter when stapled but major loosenes or uneven apperances should be corrected at this point.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2010 at 5:45am
Bea Uphostery stapler. Shoots narrow crown staples, will tear through vinly unless used in groups.

Start in the center of the sides pulling tight and stapeling both sides and then working towards the cornes working both sides simultaneously.

Frequently turn over to check appearance

sides only are stapled the wrinkle on the end will get taken care of.

The pull is important. It is actually done with one hand dragging the vinyl form the front of the piece while the other pulls the salvage(extra material) on the back side. when pulling around a corner the objective is to pucker the waste a little with each staple changing the pull each staple to use up the excess fabrick generated by the turn. Pull tight to eliminate puckers and pleats outside the staple line.

Since I started with a large square of fabric rather than a patterned skin there is a lot of extra and it is getting in the way, so the sides are trimmed of excess fabric. cut about 1/4 inch past the staples for strength.

One end of this seat is a "V". I make relief cuts to ease the fabric around the shape. Better to cut shallow at first and extend as necessary. avoid making cuts that will go into the finished side of the seat.

The seat is stood up to beter access the end for stapleing.

THe other rounde end of the seat is having issues. The latch is in the way and had to be removed. It is clear that the vinyl will not stretch enough to form without puckers and will need some motivation.

Vinyl gets butchered when staples are removed. Fortunatly heat will allow this area to strech further so this section will be cut off as waste.

Heat with caution. I set the gun openings about 1/2 open, and stay about 8" away from the vinyl. I flipped the fabric up and heated the backing first. then more heat from the front side monitoring the surface temp with my free hand.

I was not able to duplicate the factory results. I wound up with a small pleat on each of the two rear corners, a small price to pay for the money saved by doing it myself. The remaining excess fabric was cut away, and the trim pieces were re-installed.

The last step was to rivet the rider strap back in place.

This project had a total cost of $26 for materials. I had all the staples and other materials on hand. I hope this helps anyone wishing to re-skin their seats.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 2:55pm
nice step by step..I only wish pictures were a little larger to see all details...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 5:08pm
Hopefully you don't hear any startling news when you are using that tack hammer with a mouthful of tacks! I had to read that part twice.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 6:24pm
Dave
I see you are handy with the work..whats your advice to fix some knicks and cuts in the upholstery..little damage in cushions and doghouse produced by flying boards..and fins...I want to do something so the cut donĀ“t spread...
taking appart the little damage overall skins are in excellent condition..5 yo only...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2010 at 8:57pm
Joel,It seems wierd at first but it becomes second nature to work with a mouth full of tacks after a while. I have only swallowed one but it passed without incident.you get very sppedy at turning them aand sticking them to the magnet on the hammer.

Sebastian, Therre is a product called LVR (liquid vinyl repair) somewhat like rubber cement. it is good for stopping extension of rips. I have know idea where you would get it in your part of the world. I have a jar of clear stuff but they sell it in kits with colorants and textured plastic sheets , you mix a color to match and apply, then press on the textured sheet and leave until dry. I have never tried the kit, ans suspect the color match would be tricky but with some experamentation it might work well. I hate to recommend this but there are also some vinyl spray paints that match some colors well. You could glue up a tear, and then paint to match if you have a common vinyl color like white.
1987 Ski Nautique

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2010 at 8:23pm
Dave; What size (wire guage) staple is used? I also didn't understand what I assume was a warning, "Shoots narrow crown staples, will tear through vinly unless used in groups." How does one "use in groups?"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2010 at 10:30pm
My mistake for confusing terms. I should know better. Narrow crown would refer to the distance between the staple legs. 1/4 " would be a narrow crown. I was trying to describe the staple guage. My air upholstery stapler shoots a staple similar to the guage of a common paper staple. Hand or electric guns tend to shoot staples that are a wider flat guage. With vinyl the smaller guage upholstery staples will tear through the vinyl if air pressure is to high or if you are stretching the heck out of the vinyl (as I usually am). A single staple placed in tightly pulled vinyl is to much for the vinyl and it will simply tear away when you release your hand from the strech to inspect or move on. Three staples about 1/4 inch apart end to end will usually be enough to hold the section until you can make the next smooth/pull action and be ready to continue stapleing. If using a hand or electric staple with the thicker metal staple there might be enough surface area to the staple that a single staple will hold. They can also be spaced farther apart. The disadvantage is in speed. An air stapler triggers as fast as the operator can go and is more nimble in operation. It has an extension on the nose that makes it easier to maintain contact with the piece. With hand or electric guns I usually will have numerous staples not completely driven in and I have to go back and hammer them down. with air this rarely occurs. I could not find a guage marked on my staple boxs. You just need the staples designed for your gun and then adapt your practices to their characteristics. I use 3/8th inch leg staples for boat work, no matter the guage.
1987 Ski Nautique

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 1:15pm
Thanks Dave! In the Common Questions section under the Replacing Upholstery thread I think you made a comment about 18 gauge being too big, so I was trying to narrow in on the right size. Sounds like something in the 1/4" Narrow Crown, 3/8" length 20 gauge is what I am going to aim for. Now to find an air powered stapler to match that staple!
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 1:22pm
What do you think of T50x3/8 S/S staples (thats what my hand stapler uses)
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2010 at 2:12am
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

What do you think of T50x3/8 S/S staples (thats what my hand stapler uses)

Being used to the air stapler I would find them frustratingly slow but they are the right size, material and guage to hold marine vinyl very well. Again you will likely have some not drive completly, but they can be banged down with a hammer. For a one time project it will take a while longer but the finished result should be fine. with the hand stapler the trick is holding it firmly against the piece while pulling the trigger. THe hand stapler takes a long throw to trigger the spring loaded driver and things can move a litle. this can be frustrating while trying to maintain a nice fabric stretch with the other hand. There are some very inexpensive electric staplers $20 that use the same staples that would be slightly better for the project, as they trigger without the long pull. they are a little more stable and easier on the hands for a big project.
I have one like this

Better than the hand stapler but haaving the air version this one sits in a box.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2010 at 2:15am
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Thanks Dave! In the Common Questions section under the Replacing Upholstery thread I think you made a comment about 18 gauge being too big, so I was trying to narrow in on the right size. Sounds like something in the 1/4" Narrow Crown, 3/8" length 20 gauge is what I am going to aim for. Now to find an air powered stapler to match that staple!

I would find the stapler first then the staples. And I would go wide crown, 3/8th leg. I will do a serch tonight and see what I can find just for fun.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2010 at 2:43am
Here is the first page I found

stapler comparison

I run the $130 BEA 71/16 421 stapler. BEA is an industry name brand stapler.It uses a 22 guage 3/8th staple. works fine for marine but is designed more for home furnishings.
the spotnails js5016 for 55 dollars looks like a bargain and although it is not a industry "Name Brand" it would likely hold up just fine for occasional use. It uses a heavier 20 guage staple better suited to use with vinyl.

Once you have one of these you will find it has other uses like making garage sale signs, tacking fabric on the bottom of your box spring back on after the cats crawled in there, you may even tackle dining room chairs , deer stand seats or other projects.
1987 Ski Nautique

Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2010 at 11:30am
My wife got me the Arrow electric stapler for X mas
I used it on the trailer bunk carpet (pita) the hand stapler is a little more powerful. I'd Reeeaaalllyyy like an air stapler. I just don't use it that much. (yet)
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2010 at 12:29pm
Dave, great recommendations. A little browsing produced this

T50 Pneumatic

Its very reasonable ($24.99), so if I can find one locally, I am going to try it. Otherwise it will be back to that Spotnailer I think. Thanks again.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2010 at 1:48pm
skutsch,
   Looks like a good stapler and at a good price ?
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2010 at 2:42pm
If my memory is corret the T 50's fit hammertackers and in stainless steel would be ideal for upholstery. I have never seen an air gun for them.. aThat is also a greart price. Nice find. Someone needs to buy it and report back.
1987 Ski Nautique

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2010 at 3:48pm
Done! Will pick one up next week and let everyone know!
areford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote areford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2010 at 2:38pm
Hi everyone,

I would recommend this Surebonder 9600. I replaced my whole 93 sport interior with this thing and it shoots T50 stapes which you can get at HD and Lowes. The prices is right for not using it much: $ 31.53 with free shipping!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EOJPC6/ref=oss_product
1993 Sport Nautique
- New Interior - Copycat Covers
- Ramlin Trailer overhaul
- Buff and polish oxidated gel coat
- Exhaust repair
- Holley rebuild
Previous: 1980 Mastercraft - Lake Lanier. GA
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2010 at 2:42pm
Looks like another fine choice.
1987 Ski Nautique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2010 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by areford areford wrote:

Hi everyone,

I would recommend this Surebonder 9600. I replaced my whole 93 sport interior with this thing and it shoots T50 stapes which you can get at HD and Lowes. The prices is right for not using it much: $ 31.53 with free shipping!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EOJPC6/ref=oss_product

Link for Rick

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic