Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What's on my agenda from now till next season...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What's on my agenda from now till next season...

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
Author
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's on my agenda from now till next season...
    Posted: November-01-2010 at 9:46pm
Since the shaft didn't spin all that freely the last few weeks of ski season, I decided to take the boat out to the marina for one last time to check my alignment while she's sitting in the water.
When I started on loosening the bolts on the engine mounts, I found out that the starbordside front mount was completely loose and all the way down!!!
I could just slap myself!! Right there I understood why the engine had that funny vibration (even when the trans wasn't engaged). Ain't no such thing as "I-don't-need-to-check-the-alignment-this-year-I'll-do-it-next-year" or "I'll-check-that-later-let's-just-ski-now"...Hard lesson learned (yet again).
Now she spins as smooth as can be!

Next: making her ready for winter tomorrow.

In two weeks she'll go to an upholsterer for a complete new interior.

After that, sanding, sanding, sanding to prep her for a new paint job...

So I won't get bored this winter... Pics will follow off course
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2010 at 10:55pm
Its funny how the boats talk to us but we don't want to listen. Thanks for sharing, it is a good reminder for all of us. Sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy over the winter. It will be worth it in the spring though. Wish I had a work space. Mine will sit in a snow bank till spring.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 10:16am
will the boat match the propane tanks?
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

Please tell me youre not actually considering painting your boat!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 11:52am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Please tell me youre not actually considering painting your boat!

Regretably yes!! Algrip!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 11:54am
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 11:59am
Someone recently said that between prep and cost of painting with Algrip, it wouldn't have cost any more to go with gel.

There's a guy in Portland that does fiberglass work and paints boats. He's done 2 Mustangs that I've seen and they looked stunning. They look like gel, but are done with Awlgrip. I don't know what he charges for a whole boat, but I got an estimate of around $5k just for the deck on the Classic.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Someone recently said that between prep and cost of painting with Algrip, it wouldn't have cost any more to go with gel.

That might have been Eric Clarke... he said something along the same lines to me in NC. His Classic is gorgeous, but he said for the time and expense he went through to paint the boat, he sort of wishes he had gone with gel instead.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 12:28pm
The extra cost of doing a gel job is really in the sanding and buffing of the final finish. Algrip is good stuff but it'd still paint and needs to be treated as such. Plus, to my knowlege, there isn't a paint out there that recommends keeping the boat in the water for very long. Kristof, did you consider that? Don't you keep you boat in the water?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 2:11pm
I've spent the last three months reading and getting info on paint and gel.
I've been advised to repaint instead of regelling, because gel apparently doesn't work that well in open air (only works in a mold by chemical reaction).
Others told me gel is better than paint and works the same...
The salesman from Sterling paints told me if I repaint it with Sterling coating it wouldn't be a problem if the boat stays in the water.

(BTW I know a few fiberglass boats in my marina that stay in the water all season and are repainted, with Sterling...)

So, can someone here finally tell me what to do, so I can stop breaking my head over this...?

- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 2:19pm
I guess the first question that needs to be answered, is why refinish at all? Is there extensive cracking or blistering that needs to be repaired? Your boat looks to be in great condition, so Im curious.

Ill let Pete and the other experts handle the gel vs. paint question, as I dont have any first hand experience... yet. Based on my limited research here, I do know that spraying gel is a legit practice, and when it comes time to refinish the deck of my '67 Nautique, it will be getting gelcoat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 3:00pm
Kristof,
As mentioned, I've got to straighten Billy out who I understand is the one who told you gel needs to go into a enclosed mold. It doesn't!!! Wax is added or a PVA coating is applied. Both will seal off the sprayed gel so it will cure.

Maybe the process hasn't made it far enough south yet?? It's been around for at least 15 years.

Ask your Sterling guy about leaving the painted hull in the water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 4:30pm
Kristof,
I talked with Billy and there seems to be a communication issue between the Cajon and Belgium languages!!! He's up to speed and knows all about gel coat but just feels you should paint the boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 5:41pm
I'm sure that in translation, he said "paint" in Belgium which is "gel" in english.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 5:48pm
I wonder how the yuckytan yellow is coming along? That might be good input.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 5:55pm
Aaarrrrgghh... back to doubts again...

Can you point me to a few sites that give good explanantion on how it works and where I can get it?

Found this site in Holland where they give following explanations:

Gelcoat: stays sticky on the evaporating side (outside), if you don't want it to be sticky on the outside, you must use our polyester topcoat, which has a parafine solution mixed in. Colour pigments can be added.

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 6:00pm
parafin=wax
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I guess the first question that needs to be answered, is why refinish at all? Is there extensive cracking or blistering that needs to be repaired? Your boat looks to be in great condition, so Im curious.

Due to lack of driving experience, Chantal hit the dock a little too hard a few weeks ago...
So now there is a 2 inch wide and 2 feet long crack on the starbordside, all through the gelcoat. We made a quick fix with epoxy fairing compound at the time, since it was three weeks from the end of the season and it was a beautiful day...

But now it has to be fixed the right way... This means the whole sides have to be redone... And so I decided to redo the whole hull below the rub rail...

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 6:12pm
Question: if I use the polyester topcoat, do I need primer first...?
My first guess would be no... But I might just as well be wrong .

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 6:27pm

there is a 2 inch wide and 2 feet long crack on the starbordside.

the whole sides have to be redone.

And so I decided to redo the whole hull below the rub rail.

Im not following your logic from statement #1 to statement #2. Ive seen much larger areas repaired than the one youre describing- and it didnt involve regelling (or repainting) the whole boat. A good gelcoat guy can match the color in the affected area and it should be nearly impossible to tell there was ever any damage.

"Polyester topcoat" is gelcoat. Gelcoat is simply tinted polyester resin. You would not need a primer when applying gel over polyester (fiberglass or gelcoat), nor vinylester (which is the type of fiberglass your hull is made out of). You would need some sort of intermediate step between the epoxy filler you used and gelcoat, because while epoxy sticks to everything (polyester and vinylester), polyester does not stick to epoxy. I believe Pete recommends an intermediate step of vinylester resin... but Ill let those more experienced than me chime in on the specifics.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 6:39pm
Tim,
Logic has nothing to do with it
I wanted to do this for a long time. Chantal cried for hours when it happened, but I was secretly glad it happenend...
I love Choppers' hull and wanted to do something similar since I got the boat. Yes, I know, not original, but had that conversation with Pete over the phone last week .

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 6:50pm

Due to lack of driving experience, Chantal hit the dock a little too hard a few weeks ago... ...

Did you happen to be standing on the dock? Maybe her driving is better then you think, LOL
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 6:52pm
Ha, you must be feeling the peer pressure... it seems like just about every CC Ive seen that has made its way to Europe ends up with a funky paintjob or other significant modifications. I figured it must feel pretty cool to have one of the only original boats on the continent! Maybe I was wrong.

Taheejizown.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 6:52pm
Quinner, you're a sick little puppy ROFLOL

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 6:56pm
Tim,
Ya have a point there... Damn... More doubts!

Good thing Chantal isn't reading this thread, cause she's all over me into keeping it original...

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 7:02pm
Kristof, Chantel must drive with authority! I really don't know what the best solution is. I know gel can come back amazingly well from the way our Mustang came out. On the other hand our Classic is painted. If we ever go the big bucks route and have it redone, I think I'd go with gel as it is without a doubt better. The only way I'd go paint is if it was much less money. The guy up here paints the bottom with black bottom paint.
Here is his personal boat. It was at the 2nd NE Reunion.
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1975&sort=&pagenum=1
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 7:06pm
paint is nice..but in not close to gel in resistance to rubs in docking etc, etc...I see the price difference as an issue but in the long the gel will last much much longer than paint...
Have this friends who painted their top deck on a ยด94 style mc..they used polyurethane paint..very nice finish..good work..was holding nice..left the boat aside of mine in the dock..with fenders..but unfortunately water movement made them to move..and my killer SS rubrail that sits higher than the mc..ruined the paint in the deck...uf they were upset!!!.
So my advice is go gel..

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 7:06pm
Bottom line! It's your boat, do what you want to do.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 7:14pm
Quick search on the gelcoat prizes in the links mentionned in my former post, it doesn't look more expensive than the Sterling paint.
Got a quote from the Sterling salesman and the total price is around 370 euro (517,63 USD)...

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2010 at 10:51pm
Well it's almost 1 AM over here and I can't get no sleep...
Chantal peeked at this thread while I was posting with you guys and the discussion about keeping it original started again...
She's sound asleep now and I'm still behind the computer thinking about what to do...
Some guys here got under my skin again and I'm now reluctant about doing a custom paint job on the boat! Talk about deranged!!

So I guess I'll compromise... Here's a pic on how I want her to be:

I just love that black with the red striping. Will order the original decals too... Damn you guys!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
  Share Topic