NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat Dr 312 Y Block Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Dr 312 Y Block Build
    Posted: November-04-2010 at 10:07am
A big thanks goes to Billy (Boat Dr) for taking on this challenge he has managed to build up a 312 Y Block Interceptor for a boat I have coming over using an old base engine and finding Interceptor parts across the USA matching up and fitting which in it self has many pit falls you can fall in to, finished up with a fresh 2010 312 Interceptor, and just for kicks rebuilt the Dearborn drive too, all this in one month start to finish.
I don't know all the guys that have supported Billy with this build but shows how great this site is hats off to you all

Here a few shots of the engine Billy has many more when he is back on line I hope he add.
Enjoy.
The Old

The New

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 10:29am
Looks good. Who rebuilt the Dearbo? Did the oil filter change position during the rebuild?
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 12:52pm
Billy is truly a artist! Very nice!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Boat Nurse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boat Nurse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 2:15pm
Jody,thanks for the kudo,s

Bruce , I could not do any worse than the rebuild you had done.It was not useable in the condition it arrived,so I could not do any worse.Not real hard to get apart, oil pump pressure line,you just have to do it correctly.Inside there is not a lot of parts and pieces to break.
The problem was "no clean neutral", repair was disassembly, followed by a complete inspection of all parts.I found nothing bent or broken, just stuck clutch packs.....Bench time was all that was needed to restore tranny to operation...........
That was only one of the hurdles required to complete this "build"...We still are "missing one elbow" Intercepter #5046 L. Is there one for sale or trade out there in CCFan Land..........
I will start on the shipping crate today, hope she will ship to Roger by the end of the week..........It will be a sad day when she leaves my shop headed to Roger's, it has been a labor of love for the past 4 weeks.
I hope you enjoy the pics as much as I enjoyed build this Antique..................Billy
The Boat Nurse
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 2:21pm
Yeah, Gee thanks for getting her done early so Marty and I could see her run.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 2:41pm
I sure it sounds as good as it looks. Very nice work Billy.

Roger maybe you should just have the hull shipped via Billy's before going on the container, if he gets bored you may just get a complete boat back.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boat Nurse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 3:42pm
Allen, I am trying to take care of the paying clients before I am allowed to pursue my own projects.This little "motor job" took a bit longer than I planned.
I now need to finish the stripping and sanding , after comes the bottom paint then into staining and varnish of the sides and the top deck. I am proof about the "old dog " can be taught a new trick or two......
This has been a joy to start, better to get close, but the ultimate satisfaction is when you turn the key, and VROOM VROOM.So many new things learned and applied to my everyday job..........Billy
The Boat Nurse
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 3:49pm
Billy,
Couldn't you find black spark plug wires! Nice touch with the matching yellow wire ties though!!

It's look'n GREAT!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boat Nurse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 4:43pm
There is a fine line between you and I.Have you tried to find wire /wires? Now find a set that will properly fit a Y BLOCK. The wires have to exit the botom of the manifolds, not over the top as they do in a pick up.
Real easy for you to be an arm chair quaterback, when you are making the game plan. Not so easy here in the trenches, plug wires are low on the list.Make all the rest of the pieces fit and look as if they were OEM.
Pete if that is the only fault you can find , I will feel I have done an suitable resto.......... Several period correct parts were substituted for newer parts, dizzy,alternator/regulater. Rocker arm and shafts were rebuilt to accept full pressure oiling, Hi Per oil pump shaft W/ Mellings , hi volume oil pump.
Heads reworked w/seals and 95# springs, they are kinder to the cam and lifters.............YH Carters also modified to Old School choke set up, NONE.....I tried to find balance in both our worlds, not too bad , I think....................Billy
The Boat Nurse
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 5:04pm
I've got yellow wires too Pete. I'm glad you guys finally came around to appreciate the Deabos. Billy, your rebuild could have come out a lot worse than mine. Mine works great. It just needed a little adjustment in the shifter which we all learned from. Eric did a great job. I believe he did what you mentioned plus he replaced a big bearing while it was apart.   What's the story on the oil filter?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 5:04pm
Billy,
I told you it was looking great and I truely mean that. I'm glad you got it running and I know for a fact that Roger is very pleased. You should be and I know you are very proud of your job. Once again, it looks fantastic.

Yes, I do know how hard it is to find a set. The last ones I did, I had to go to the farm supply, get a "universal" kit, cut and make them up myself. Yes, a PITA!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boat Nurse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

. I'm glad you guys finally came around to appreciate the Deabos. Billy, your rebuild could have come out a lot worse than mine. What's the story on the oil filter?

Bruce,Do not put words in my mouth.If all the parts are reinstalled properly, it should work. Adjustment and incorrect assembly are different,one cannot fix the other.
Did it work properly when installed on your motor, NO. I talk to the guy who fixed yours quite often, he has a lot to share , if one want's to learn...........
There is no substitute for a VD,anything else is LESS THAN.
My Collegian will have a warmed over 312 with a B/W Velvet Drive,in place of the DEARBO.This was suggested to Roger, you see who won that battle.
The filter was new 30 days ago,still new inside. Painted several times, and dented a few more. Any comments ?????????????
The Boat Nurse
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 5:41pm
Its a 2010 Interceptor 312 so a few new parts but looks old school, a Marilyn Monroe of today, It will be interesting how she runs on our gas,as our regular is 95 premium is 99 .

Alain I have my boat back on the water now, don't think in a steel box counts though.

Great Job Billy.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 5:47pm
Billy, Jim is a great resource and a good guy. I'm sure he was a big help with your project. He's been a great help to me and I wish I knew him 3 years ago, but you kept him from me. I was at his shop yesterday.

What I'm getting at with the filter is, not its age, but maybe it's just the picture, but on the rebuild it looks like it's mounted vertically and not off the side of the engine. I like a vertically mounted filter. Those Fords with their sideways filters can be messy to change!

So it Roger who likes the Dearbos. He'll probably have the only one in Great Britain!
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 6:15pm
Bruce I'm having to build my trophy cabinet much bigger as I know I win best Y block engine/drive set up every time as its probably the only one in the UK.
Billy has set the bar high now for me to try and match with the rest of the boat.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 6:41pm
Looks like there's a drive to the UK in the near future on my list... Roger, make sure you have cold beer ready when I park my car on your driveway to come see that beauty up close!!

As soon as it touches British soil, let me know. Then I can give you a call to see when we can meet.

Billy, having spent great moments in your shop learning when I was your honored guest, I'm yet again amazed by your many talents. That engine looks marvelous!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 6:56pm
No worries Kristof we can wet Billy's baby head with a few cold ones

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
flipflop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 7:42pm
Looks great. Wish I had an engine that clean.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boat Nurse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2010 at 10:43pm
flipflop, plans are to have a small "get together" in Astor Florida in late March. There should be a Y Block there, that will raise the bar just a bit...........A couple of years older , but.....
The Boat Nurse
flipflop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2010 at 1:10pm
Keep me updated. Not too far from me and would love to attend.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boat Nurse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2010 at 1:47pm
Keith will post sign up info and dates on this site. I think we had 25 boats last year, and the date change to the last week end in March will only add more boats and guests to the list.
Reservations are needed to insure you a place at Parramores Fantastic Family Fish Camp and Resort. We filled up early last year.........What better place to be in late March..........Billy
The Boat Nurse
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2010 at 2:35pm

Who wants to be the first to put one in their boat??
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boat Nurse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2010 at 4:58pm
Jody, got an offer.....

You PAY

I PLAY.....

send paypal #

The Boat Nurse
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2010 at 5:28pm
Do ya want me to add the 2% also?

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 8:29pm
Billy's taking no chances shipping his engine over to the UK, not only a crate but a engine stand too, thanks Billy your the best.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 8:42pm
Awesome...Billy did you put some Boudain on dry ice and send it over too?
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 8:48pm
Just in case someone doesn't notice, that's a steel box tube framed box with plywood zip screws to it!! The steel is what Roger is referring to as the "engine stand too"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boat Nurse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2010 at 12:56am
Pete that may be a bit of over kill on the "crate", but I never heard anyone say they had too much insurance when shipping ..........A set of castors , a battery box and a fuel source will complete said display/engine stand..
I can hear Roger now," hey guys listen to this "..........
The Boat Nurse
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2010 at 7:11pm
I wouldn't expect anything less from the Boat Doctor!
Striving for perfection...

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2010 at 7:50pm
Billy is among the best folks I've ever met...makes some of this hard to figure out.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic