NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

302 teardown

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
Author
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

a quick jiggle of the throttle (button in so it actually moves the trans cable) will usually clear it up.

Thats exactly what I had to do. I remembered reading a couple posts about it a while back. I think Alan gave a nice description of how to properly troubleshoot problems with the throttle cable.

I'm planning on taking the Morse Control off anyway to clean it up while I wait for the motor. I'll also be replacing both cables as I found a pretty nasty wear on the throttle cable.

EDIT- Any chance this had something to do with the trans feeling like it wasn't fully engaged while at idle?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

One other issue I was having was with starting....

At certain times when attempting to start, the boat would act like the transmission was engaged although the throttle was in the neutral position. It would not start unless I moved the throttle just a touch with the button pushed in. I'm not talking major movements, just a simple touch of the throttle.

At first I thought the problem would have been in the Morse Control, but the button had to be pushed in while I moved the throttle to engage the ignition. It seems as if the boat wasn't sitting in neutral and when I touched the throttle it would dis-engage and allow the boat to start. Once running, everything acted normal and performed as it should.

Any ideas? I'm thinking it has to be a setting on the trans?

Chris, its just a transmission cable adjustment- try adjusting it at the trans side first, then move to the Morse side if you cant get it squared away. The "neutral" position on the morse is simply not centered into the actual neutral position on the trans. Its pretty common- a quick jiggle of the throttle (button in so it actually moves the trans cable) will usually clear it up.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 6:25pm
Great info guys. This is a no brainer for the rebuild process.

One other issue I was having was with starting....

At certain times when attempting to start, the boat would act like the transmission was engaged although the throttle was in the neutral position. It would not start unless I moved the throttle just a touch with the button pushed in. I'm not talking major movements, just a simple touch of the throttle.

At first I thought the problem would have been in the Morse Control, but the button had to be pushed in while I moved the throttle to engage the ignition. It seems as if the boat wasn't sitting in neutral and when I touched the throttle it would dis-engage and allow the boat to start. Once running, everything acted normal and performed as it should.

Any ideas? I'm thinking it has to be a setting on the trans?
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 4:43pm
Ebasicpower is just down the road from work. Check them out when you need a control cable. I've used them several times.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 4:30pm
Hey! Thanks for the info. I wonder why both Indmar and PCM as well as DIM sells their drive plates for so much? even to us dealers. Wonder what the service load rating is on these plates are? maybe that is why PCM/Indmar and DIM are getting so much for them. Or could be the gold content!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 1:54pm
You beat me to it, Pete. The link you provided to Merequipment in the past no longer works, but the same 80106 drive plate is still listed in their drive plate brochure.

Ebasicpower also lists a similar ALTDA-106 drive plate as well, though it appears to be an ALTO Products part instead of the Sachs Ive heard mentioned.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

I would replace the damper while youre in there- its easy and cheap ($70).

Where can I get a $70 damper plate? Will buy as many as I can.

DIM has them for $175.00 BW/Ford 302/351
Florida Inboards price $168.70, In Stock!

Jody,
Chris's boat has a Velvet so the standard off the shelf Sachs plate can be used and is less that $100. Mer Equipment as well as Eric is a good retail source. With a PCM trans, you're screwed since you are stuck with their plate!! BTW, the Sachs plate is better built too!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 12:37pm

I would replace the damper while youre in there- its easy and cheap ($70).

Where can I get a $70 damper plate? Will buy as many as I can.

DIM has them for $175.00 BW/Ford 302/351
Florida Inboards price $168.70, In Stock!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 11:34am

What color did you go with for the 'original' blue. Mine had been repainted a darker blue at some point by the PO.

Chris, I cant see the pics here at work but going from memory, I believe your engine is the original color. The early PCM/Waukeshas with the green manifolds had very dark blue blocks. Much darker than the Ford Blue Interceptors.

I would replace the damper while youre in there- its easy and cheap ($70). I wouldnt bother cracking open the transmission unless you were having issues with it- there isnt much you can do, short of a full rebuild.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2011 at 4:51pm
While the motor is at the shop, is there anything I'll need to buy as far as transmission pieces? Any new seals? If I recall correctly, some have said it was best to replace the dampner plate while I've got it all torn apart?

I was having a little bit of what seemed like slippage at no wake speeds but I think it could be from my idle being too low.

Any advice?

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2011 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

dont let them tell you, let them show you

Will do Eric. I was told they will take pictures or call and I can come into the shop if I am in town. They did a heck of a job on my buddies 318, giving him updates through the whole process.

Keegan, I made sure to leave mine at home...but please post a pic and let me know how they turn out. I may have to freshen mine up when I put it all back together. What color did you go with for the 'original' blue. Mine had been repainted a darker blue at some point by the PO.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2011 at 3:46pm

Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

I personally couldn't stand the sight of the nasty green exhaust manifolds.

Don't tell Keegan and Marty that!

Motor gets loaded up and taken to the shop tomorrow!

The fresh coat of green looks pretty good I think. If it ever warms up enough to finish painting them and get them back on I will post pics.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2011 at 3:40pm
dont let them tell you, let them show you
"the things you own will start to own you"
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2011 at 1:53pm
Just got back from dropping off the motor at Midstate Machine is Des Moines. Should be hearing something by the end of the week or early next week. I'm hoping it's something minor but wouldn't mind going a rebuilt top end or possibly a stroker. We'll see what they say and go from there!

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2010 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

Don't tell Keegan and Marty that!

Motor gets loaded up and taken to the shop tomorrow!
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2010 at 1:44am
You are making some good progress.

Painting the manifolds black will give you more HP though;)

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2010 at 7:36pm
Merry Christmas guys! Got some time to work on the Ski Tique today with my Big Brother home from New York. We decided it was time to pull the motor and get the trans separated from the block.

I'll hopefully be able to get it loaded up and drag it into the Shop to find the diagnosis. I've been asking a few people here plenty of questions along the way so I thought I would share some pictures and a quick video of the pull.

Gotta cut us some slack, it was the first time we'd pulled a motor so forgive me for the shift after the initial lift. We were cutting it pretty close to the Dist. but cleared everything and it sitting on a cradle ready to go!

Ben is in the boat and I'm driving the Bobcat.

Some pictures, in reverse order.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2010 at 9:45am
it sorta maybe sounded like a collapsed lifter or loose stud/nut, easily checked by pulling the valve covers and putting pressure on the rocker to see if the noise softens.....the only reason I say that is because it sounds half of engine RPM, and the cam spins half engine speed.......but once again its like looking into a crystal ball. better safe than sorry though
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2010 at 3:24pm

Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Chris I have been watching this thread closely since I also have a 302. That's one helluva tick! I am sure you will have it in top shape for next season and am looking forward to the results.

Thanks Keegan! We're hoping it will be running pretty quick in the spring!

I'll be sure not to let the guys paint my manifolds black either!    

Yep you gotta watch those guys. Marty got me a can of paint that looks right. Hot Rod Green I think is the name. I need to pull them off and repaint them the right color. Of course my block and trans were painted old ford blue which is not the right color either. The waukesha blue is almost a navy.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2010 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Chris I have been watching this thread closely since I also have a 302. That's one helluva tick! I am sure you will have it in top shape for next season and am looking forward to the results.

Thanks Keegan! We're hoping it will be running pretty quick in the spring!

I'll be sure not to let the guys paint my manifolds black either!    
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2010 at 3:01pm
Eric, I did try to pull each wire....even ran it in the dark to make sure it wasn't my wires. Jon is pretty sure it's something lower in the motor. When I took it to my old man's marine guy they said the same and quoted me 4,500 to rebuild and couldn't guarantee it would be done before the end of the summer....I decided to pull it myself and take it to Jon.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2010 at 10:01am
did you pull each plug wire while it was running? that at many times will isolate the problem.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 11:24pm

1973 Skier
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 8:28pm
Eric...Here's a video of the tique tick. I remember seeing the post about your troubles finding a tick and will be sure to have them check everything out when I drop it off. I hope it is something as simple as that but wouldn't mind making a few minor improvements!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 5:58pm
the only reason i caught it was because i had the engine flipped and pan off and was rotating and just happen to see the piston kick at bdc
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 5:56pm
how bad was the tick and what do you think it was? I went round and round with a ticking 302 this summer. the tick started after a high rpm rev, i started in the vlave train with the second set of lifters, all new rings and bearings, couldnt find the problem. long story short, it ended up being an undersize piston that slipped thru the cracks at Ford, I re-ringed and stabbed the pistons never measuring the pistons but measured the bores and they were right on, the engine was in beautiful shape except the piston was undersize by about .038
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 5:43pm
Thanks Jon, I actually used a buffer pad I had laying around the shop to cover everything up. Fits right between the mounting bolts for the carb!
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 3:09pm
Not a big deal here since you are pulling the motor and tearing it down, but if you have it sitting around at all keeping the intake opening covered with tape,etc. keeps out foreign material.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 1:27pm
These last few posts are the reasons I bring stuff up here!

The guy I'm working (Jon) with seems to be a great guy. He rebuilt a buddies 318 for a southwind and did a hell of a job. Jeff (my buddy) would get a few calls every week to discuss progress and what he wanted to do next. He was always working with Jeff to make sure they had the correct parts sourced and was always open to discussing what he was doing. It's nice to find someone who has a true passion for what they do and not treat you like you're a number walking through their door.

Eric- Jon is going to find the source of the tick first and then help me decide what our best option is. If the crank is trashed- we will look into stroking. If it's something less severe we will fix it and put it back together. Either way, he will make sure I know what's going on before they make any decisions.

Photo's from last night after pulling a few more items:

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 12:45pm
it was a guideline and meant to go to the high side of what the piston manufacturer recommends
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
  Share Topic