Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ProTec Ignition Conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ProTec Ignition Conversion
    Posted: November-22-2010 at 6:02pm
I am considering having my 1992 5.8 Pro Boss with ProTec converted to the distributor based ignition system.

I am now thinking my problems this past summer where my engine would hiccup or "short out" intermittently later in the day may be related to age and subsequent failure of this system.

When we fired it up this past weekend during the winterizing process, the boat took quite a while to get warmed up and didn't seem to be firing properly on all cylinders. When we pulled the plugs, 2 of them showed evidence of not burning completely clean.

I called PCM and they have confirmed that the ProTec system can eventually fail after considerable age, and that my symptoms sound typical of this problem. The solution is to convert to a Mallory based distributor system since the ProTec is no longer available.

I am interested in feedback from others who have done this, lessons learned, and hoe the performance was after the conversion.

Thanks guys.
Doug
thatdude596 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thatdude596 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 8:33pm
skidim has a great kit..i think mine runs better than ever before. buy it and dont look back.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 9:10pm
The Pro-Tech in my 93' began its demise in 03'-04' @ about 200hrs, changed it out with the same kit and it ran better then when it was new.
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2010 at 1:57pm
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have decided to make this change, I'll let you know next spring how she runs.
Doug
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2010 at 6:35pm
did the convertion this winter..my protec would run fine but had problems at wot..it would miss and top 4200 rpm..
After the change..it runs 4800-4900 rpm..also I note a good fuel effeciency improvement....i have an average of 4.5-5 gph...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
skier12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2010 at 9:35pm
Is this kit for the protec engines with EFI or just carb?
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2010 at 12:27am
Sebastian, is that wakeboarding with ballast or barefooting?   I've always thought that the Pro Tec was reposible for my gph. The hydrofoils put little to no drag on the boat, and we usually run the PP in RPM mode. The Pro Tec is capable of adjusting the timing and I figure that's where the gph comes from, its never been more than 5gph and Its been down as below 3 gph a few times. If it can get any better I'll yank the thing out this winter even though it seems to work fine after 800hrs.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2010 at 12:43am
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Sebastian, is that wakeboarding with ballast or barefooting?   I've always thought that the Pro Tec was reposible for my gph. The hydrofoils put little to no drag on the boat, and we usually run the PP in RPM mode. The Pro Tec is capable of adjusting the timing and I figure that's where the gph comes from, its never been more than 5gph and Its been down as below 3 gph a few times. If it can get any better I'll yank the thing out this winter even though it seems to work fine after 800hrs.

combined...cruising/wakeboarding with 1800lb/footing...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2010 at 12:44am
Originally posted by skier12 skier12 wrote:

Is this kit for the protec engines with EFI or just carb?

as far as I know its only for carb...
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2010 at 1:01am
I don't know if PCM still has parts, but initially they were hoarding the spare Pro Tec parts for the EFI boats. The EFI wouldn't work without the Pro Tec ignition, the carbs would.
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2010 at 3:34pm
When I talked with the gentlemen at PCM last week (803-345-1337), he told me that EFI boats with ProTec issues would need to convert to a carburetor.

That struck me as odd and was certainly contradictory to the other information I had read that stated they (PCM) were hoarding the ProTec parts for EFI boats only.
Doug
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2010 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by dmiracle dmiracle wrote:

the other information I had read that stated they (PCM) were hoarding the ProTec parts for EFI boats only.

You have the Pro Boss, so you have the carb already, right? I had heard the same thing you mentioned about the Pro Tec parts being put aside for EFI boats. Having to buy a carb too would certainly up the ante.

I'm thinking about swapping my Prestolite electronic distributor for Mallory one, because I don't think my old one is advancing the ignition as it's supposed too.

Do most have good luck with these Mallorys? It's funny, I don't see tune-up parts (distributor caps and rotors) really marketed for these, maybe because they're kinda new.
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2010 at 5:02pm
Yes, I have a Pro Boss/carb 351.

The more I think about this, I am considering starting out by just replacing the plug wires. They are several years old and I want to rule that out prior to the complete conversion.

That said, is it merely a matter of time before the ProTec goes?
Doug
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2010 at 5:14pm
I'm sure others can advise on Protec lifespan.

Just bear in mind, from the looks of SkiDim catalog, if you buy new wires for your existing protec, they won't work with a new distributor. Looks like you'll have to buy wires again if you decide to convert. For $29, not a huge deal I guess.

Also remember to use the CCF discount. I know Skidim as well as others have like 10%.

skier12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2010 at 9:22pm
What would it cost to convert an EFI away from the Protec system? The boat runs fine "knock on wood" but I'm just curious what potential cost may be looming out there for us.

Also what performance differences would there be?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2010 at 8:36am
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Just bear in mind, from the looks of SkiDim catalog, if you buy new wires for your existing protec, they won't work with a new distributor. Looks like you'll have to buy wires again if you decide to convert. For $29, not a huge deal I guess.

Also remember to use the CCF discount. I know Skidim as well as others have like 10%.

anyway the convertion kit comes with new plug wires...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2010 at 8:41am
Originally posted by skier12 skier12 wrote:

What would it cost to convert an EFI away from the Protec system? The boat runs fine "knock on wood" but I'm just curious what potential cost may be looming out there for us.

Also what performance differences would there be?

you need to revert the efi engine back to carb..so there goes around 500 for the carb..maybe a new intake is needed..as I donĀ“t know if the efi one can be reused for the carb..there goes another 100-200, and the ingnition kit also around 500...so total in parts 1200...
92skinautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2017 at 2:09am
I am having a similar issue with a pro tech setup and was considering switching to the Malory coil and roter etc...

What are the difficulties in the switch and is there a link to someone doing the switch.

My coils basically slowly dissolved (at least the epoxy) this summer and I am hoping to get this done before i winterize to make sure that it solves the problem.

I have a background with cars and feel comfortable at some level working with the components. Any help out there would be appreciated.

Again if this has already been discussed i am happy to read some other link

I have a 1992 ski nautique with the 351 in it with the protec ignition setup at the moment.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2017 at 6:28am
Chad,
Here's JP's write up on his Pro Tec conversion. There are more threads on it but JP's is a good one with plenty of pictures too. Also, here's Skidim's kit for converting the Pro Tec ignition if you want a "packaged" kit.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2017 at 3:04pm
Thanks so much for this. I am going to order the kit today! Weather permitting I will put it in next weekend.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2017 at 3:52pm
No one (Pete) has mentioned DUI -Probably because this is a 7-year-old thread.... LOL

The DUI is cheaper and easier than the kit.... with better performance. I did mine in a 454... it was sweet and easy for this fella with baby-soft hands.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2017 at 4:35pm
I am new to this where would I find the DUI? and is there a walk through on it?
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2017 at 4:54pm
Nothing against the Skidim.com kit, but the do-it-yourself plan with a DUI distributor is very simple -- and better (in my opinion).

Assuming that you have a Standard Rotation 351W engine, you need the following:

Part Number: M35820RD
Try searching on SummitRacing.com

This is for a Davis Unified Ignition ("DUI") distributor. The is the HEI design, so it has an internal coil and no external coil is needed.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2017 at 5:19pm
How do i know if it is standard rotation?

Here is the model # PLP-PR-R12PT

fining order 13726548
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2017 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

You need one of the PCM secret decoder rings to decipher your tag. It would tell you the following

Or you could look in a PCM owners or maintenance manual

Your tag and your firing order say it's a LH (normal rotation engine

P- Pleasurecraft
L- Left hand rotation engine
P- 351 Ford High Output
P- PCM transmission
R- Reverse or reduction gear (this one's a little confusing because it says "reverse or reduction gear" but it means you have a straight inboard transmission
R- Right Hand propeller
12-it's a 1.23 to 1 transmission
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2017 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by 92skinautique 92skinautique wrote:

I am new to this where would I find the DUI? and is there a walk through on it?

Like Pete posted - Jpass did an excellent thread on changing his right here
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2017 at 5:52pm
By the way

JQ seems to like red distributor caps, the part number he gave you is for the right distributor with a red cap, you can also get blue, black, yellow, clear.

It's the same part number with the exception of the last two letters which change depending on color. Black would be BK, Blue would be BL Yellow would be YL and clear would be CL.

You can go to the performance distributors website in the link below and get all the info you need.

You want the 7000 rpm normal rotation distributor like JQ gave you the number for

link
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2017 at 8:18pm
Buy direct from Performance Distributors. They are fantastic in shipping and service!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2017 at 9:42pm
Appreciate your help thanks!
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2017 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

By the way

JQ seems to like red distributor caps, the part number he gave you is for the right distributor with a red cap, you can also get blue, black, yellow, clear.

link

Gotta have RED! As Mrs. Quest said: "it matches the valve covers nicely".
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic