Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Airguide Speedo Restoration/Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Alex47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Airguide Speedo Restoration/Repair
    Posted: November-28-2010 at 12:14am
Passing along some helpful information.

If you need your "classic" Airguide Gauge repaired or restored, Dean from Classic Boatworks does an excellent job.

I just had one of my Airguide Speedo Gauge's repaired for $75+ shipping.

Here is a link to his website
http://www.classicboatwork.com/classicparts/gauges/gauges.html

Classic Boatworks
1201 Meadow Lane
Roseville, CA 95661

Phone: (916) 828-2014 "Dean"

Note: This is a picture of the gauge I had repaired. However, he can completely restore your gauge to "like new" condition.

emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2010 at 1:58am
It costs very little to replace the glass, paint the needle, and replace the rubber grommet. Someone here has repro decals for the guages as well.
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2010 at 5:48am
Here's the Airguide decal $10.00
-Adam

1973 Skier
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2010 at 10:35am

I just had the white ones made also. For a $10.00 (ea) donation to this site I will send you one. I had them done with a slight color on the background, since no one could confirm that they were ever pure white. I did have one done in pure white and it was a little too sterile. I will eventually create a separate post for these in the For Sale section.

76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2010 at 4:35pm
John, I would like one of the white face decals. Really great that you had these done, this site is such a fantastic resource! Donation on the way...Where can I email you my address? I must be CCF challenged, can't seem to find your email on your profile.

- Tom
thistle1678@aol.com
He who dies with the most toys, wins

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2010 at 11:27pm
I'll change my profile to show my email. I'm so paranoid of spam that I hate to share anything on the internet.

john   at   summitabstracts dot com

Just forward the donation confirmation with your address.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2010 at 11:00am
I need to reapair one, no chance on sending it to the US, it seems it's stuck and I cant see what should push the needle mechanism, anyone can guide me on this?=
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2010 at 12:25pm
Luch,

These units have a bellows inside of them that cracks from time to time. I have been told that a Jewlery Store can resolder the bellows. Water Pressure pushes the needle. There are several screws on the back of the unit that allows it to come apart. It is very easy to pull apart and to reassemble.

I hope this helps,

Donald
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2010 at 12:35pm
Donald, thanks for the answer, I have it apart already, I see what looks like a diaphgram assembly and it should push a little arm resting on it to move the needle. The needle mechanism is working, what doesnt is what is supposed to push it.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2010 at 12:47pm
Try to blow with your breath into the speedo. You may have to correct a rubber hose. This may help you to see what is going on. Compressed Air will break the bellows.

If I were you. I would look for another one on E-Bay. They come up on the USA E-Bay from time to time. You can switch out the internals or just use the entire unit. I need to get a extra one for this purpose.   I was going to get both or mine recrommed, but I found some better ones on E-Bay and then sold my others on E-Bay.

Donald
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2010 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Try to blow with your breath into the speedo. You may have to correct a rubber hose. This may help you to see what is going on. Compressed Air will break the bellows.
Donald

This really isn't true unless you are using unregulated compressed air. The pitot is really supplying compressed air to the speedo. At 45 MPH, the speedo sees around 30 PSI.

I'm mentioning this because I can't blow that hard!!

If the bellows is cracked, silver soldering is the answer. Several here have even done it themselves.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2010 at 8:55pm
could anyone enlight me as how does the compressed air into the below push the needle mechanism??
I have a rounded piece which I guess is the bellow you speak off, what's inside of it? I heard something looose when I shake it.
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2010 at 11:46pm
Here are a few pictures of one that I had here at my house. You experts take it from here.

83Ski
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2019 at 1:58pm
I'm redoing mine and need the little rubber grommets. Any suggestions, can't get answer at the place in CA
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2019 at 3:14pm
My ace hardware has those rubber grommets in their specialty hardware bins. Look where the fasteners are located.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2019 at 3:26pm
Thanks will check next time I go to town....
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2019 at 2:58pm
They had them
Thanks
JT
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2019 at 3:14pm
Here is the before:

and after:

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2019 at 7:14am
John,
Looks like the powder coat came out very nice and covered up the pitting. You mentioned your neighbor was going to do the powder. Does he have one of the kits that utilizes his oven or is it fancier than that? I've always been curious if the home oven powder coating works well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2019 at 8:38am
Actually this is paint, neighbor only had red or yellow powder. He mainly uses it for his bullets. If he gets Black will try on some thing. maybe the box for the foward/reverse lever.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2019 at 8:45am
Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

Actually this is paint, neighbor only had red or yellow powder. He mainly uses it for his bullets. If he gets Black will try on some thing. maybe the box for the foward/reverse lever.

JT

I think blue with an orange needle would be more in keeping with your "motif"   
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2019 at 8:50am
The other one has a Blue needle
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2019 at 8:53am

The other one has a Blue needle

I like   
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2019 at 11:33am
Is that a sticker or did your face plate clean up well?

Also, what was your process for buffing off the putting?
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2019 at 11:49am
Why does your neighbor powder coat bullets?
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2019 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

Is that a sticker or did your face plate clean up well?

Also, what was your process for buffing off the putting?

Tried to get a new decal but the guy never answered me, so I cleaned with a soft brush then clear coated. Do not try and rub as you might remove the old paint.
Very slooow grinding.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2019 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Keeps from leading up the barrel.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2019 at 3:43pm

So now he has a plastic lined barrel?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2019 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

So now he has a plastic lined barrel?

I guess
SGreer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGreer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2023 at 6:15pm
I realize this is an old post but the pictures of the bellows from the hardware store are not showing up. Any chance anyone has pictures; I have 2 bad speedos on my sons 89 Ski Nautique. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic