NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How many tons?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many tons?
    Posted: November-29-2010 at 4:38pm
I'm in the process of rebuilding a late 60's Equipto Maple top work bench by painting the drawer bases, adding 12" to the width of the maple top and adding castors making it mobile. Anyway, way back when I got it new, I had made layered divided inserts for several of the drawers for fasteners. Having some time this past weekend, I when through these inserts and started throughing stuff out. Lots of mixed screws, small bolts, nuts, and junk that had accumulated through the years. I'm sure everyone has a spot for these items that you say to yourself "I'll use these some day"!!!! I probably dumped 20lbs. I wonder how many tons everyones "stash" adds up to??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2010 at 6:19pm
Just miscellaneous nuts, bolts, screws, etc. I could easily throw 50 pounds on the pile.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2010 at 8:24pm
Boxes of roofing /framing/flooring/finishing nails, at least four drawer organisers for fasteners, 80 lbs easy, when I need something I can rarely remember where it is stored and buy new anyway.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2010 at 9:24pm
I've been raiding our lake's Bone Yard of parts off junk boats. My collection of parts has literally doubled with odds and ends from the 60's, 70's and 80's. Feel like Mike from American pickers when I go down there!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2010 at 9:38am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Boxes of roofing /framing/flooring/finishing nails, at least four drawer organisers for fasteners, 80 lbs easy, when I need something I can rarely remember where it is stored and buy new anyway.

Dave,
I've got all the partial boxes of "left overs" too. It's the bins and cans of totally miscellaneous fasteners I dumped.

I found lots of old wood screws - Unless it's a silicon bronze wood screw going in a boat hull, I NEVER use a wood screw any more. Years ago I went with type A sheet metal screws. More and deeper threads for better wood engagement.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2010 at 10:02am
count me in for, 4, 5 gallon buckets
"the things you own will start to own you"
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2010 at 12:10pm
I've got a bunch of jars of fasteners. They aren't sorted perfectly, but the large tins/jars have screws and bolts, others have misc. stuff. I'll also admit that the work bench is strewn with various screws/bolts/metal parts left over from whatever I happened to be working on last (or last year!).

Then, there are a bunch of jars at the lake house that my Dad started and I add to.

I love, particularly when I'm working on something with the kids, dumping out a jar of bolts and finding a bolt, washer, lock, and nut that fits what we need. I remember doing it with my Dad on a weekly basis, so now enjoy it with my kids.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2010 at 11:51pm
My boss/future grandfather in-law is a hoarder. He makes us keep more scrap metal than I could ever imagine keeping. It doesn't totally count because it's not mine, but I find it humorous.

I would say to realistically, no exaggeration put him down for two 30-yard dumpster of garbage metal alone.
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2010 at 9:48am
you know the economy is in the toilet when you get 2 or 3 scrappers stopping by everyday, the one i had to kick off the property, African American would park his truck on the concrete pad and I kid you not would leave a 12" puddle of oil, I know he is there all the time because I see oil spots everywhere back there
"the things you own will start to own you"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2010 at 12:05pm
The jars of nuts and bolts made laugh because way back at my parents house my dad had a big work bench in the basement and above the bench he had glass peanut butter jars filled with just about every nut, bolt, screw, cotter pin you could ever imagine. These jars were cleverly hanging from the ceiling as the lids were screwed into the floor joists, when you needed something you just unscrewed the jar.

When my brother and I were about 10 or so dad set up a shooting range in the basement so we could target practice with our bb guns. The workbench was behind us and every once in a while we'd get a ricoche bb back at us and smash a jar,(or occassioanlly hit one of us) the contents would crash to the floor and we'd pick it all up and mix it all into one box of stuff. This went on until we took out about 90% of the jars and Dad figured out what was going on.

30 years later as dad was moving from the big house to a new condo I was helping clean out the garage. When I got home I found he had stuffed a couple of boxes of misc nuts, bolts, cotter pins, etc into the trunk of my car. What a great laugh we had about that, funny thing is I still have some of it and it's still in a mangled mess that I sort through once in a while because I know what I need is in there somewhere.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2010 at 3:50pm
Alan, ha that makes me laugh. Dad still has the little baby food jars full of hardware on the shelves above the work bench at home. Can't tell you the number of times I have gone looking for stuff in there... I confess, I have a few jars above my workbench as well. Apple, fall, tree, far...   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2010 at 4:19pm
When I was going through the list of what I was going to put on the pegboard pull outs I made for my shop cabinets, fastener storage was on the list. I ended up buying 72 of theses jars on ebay. With that quantity, I should be able to keep everything separate and not end up with mixes! Of course organizing them into something that's easy to locate different items may be a different story!! Larger fasteners will still go into the divided drawers of my old workbench.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2010 at 4:55pm
my dad saved bent nails........
speaking of misc parts i just bought a texas k5blazer. took it apart to redo. took apart   a rotted donor 84 saved everything i could think of . tried to put one back together out of two. where did all the misc parts go? i have been out scrambling trying to scavenge from friends... i can only blame adult ADHD i think.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2010 at 8:11pm
My granddad also left me a can of bent nails and the jars of hardware that I've been going through myself since I was a little kid. He got in the habbit of picking things up around airplanes way back in the Navy so it's quite a mix.

tons = # of CCFans X 100 X 1.5/ 2000

The 1.5 is because engine parts are heavy.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
aillong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aillong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2010 at 12:43am
replica sunglasses
In modern society, there are no longer tools for eyesight correction, but constitute the major part of fashion accessories. Fashion glasses are just like your fashion clothes and you want to make sure you are stylish everyday replica sunglasses.
Designer SunGlasses
So it is important to know new fashion trend of glasses because you will probably not change your eyeglasses as much as you change your clothes.One kind of glasses which are fashionable should be rimless mens eyeglasses which are classic that people can not see you wearing at all Designer SunGlasses.
sunglasses replica
They are the favorite of those who hate to wear glasses while they have to for some reasons. Moreover, rimless glasses provide a minimalistic look and are lightweight. Frameless as they are, composing of hinges, nose pads, the bridges and arms, rimless eyeglasses can also be designed to be as varied as traditional framed glasses sunglasses replica.
replica sunglasses
Plastic glasses are always popular, especially for women. The newly popularized plastic eyeglasses are those whose sides are make a little bit details, for example, inlaid diamonds or designing the logo replica sunglasses.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic