Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - question aboat FN(forward & neutral) casale v driv
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

question aboat FN(forward & neutral) casale v driv

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mechanic2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanic2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: question aboat FN(forward & neutral) casale v driv
    Posted: December-02-2010 at 8:04am
Can anyone answer below question for In and out(forward/neutral) 12 degree casale v-drive?
1-Can input shaft of v-drive rotate in either direction(clockwise and counterclockwise)?
In other word I want to know if this v-drive can be used with both left hand and right hand engine flywheel rotation?
2-what is the max shifting rpm of v-drive?
Thanks
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2010 at 9:21am
I cant answer that, from the ones Ive seen though, they are just a gear set up and rotation would not be noticed. as for high rpm shifts, why the need? also how is the boat getting forward and reverse?
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanic2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2010 at 10:19am
-The output rotation of my engine is right hand looking forward to flywheel side. I want to know this rotation direction match with input rotation direction of FN casale v-drive?
-The engine idle rpm is 800 rpm. If I want use a FN casale v-drive, the engine idle rpm should be less than max shifting RPM of v-drive in order to shifting from neutral to forward after starting and warming up engine.
-I was about to use a FNR(forwared, neutral, revese)casale v-drive in order to boat getting forward and reverse but I coudnt find this V-drive.So I have to use a FN casale v-drive and the boat cant reverse.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2010 at 12:54pm
I saw your post over at V-drive dot com. I am sure someone their will answer. More then likely you will be asked what Casale you have, 10*? 12*? Is it a forward/reverse unit? Split Case or top loader ? Pictures?
As far shifting it in and out of gear their are some that will do it at a very low idle but it is hard on the dog gear. I prefer to warm up the engine out of gear then shut it of and put the v-drive in gear and start it and away I go, most common for v-drive's with out transmissions. The old sprint boat I am currently running has a PCM 1:1 Transmission in front of a AeroMarine /Throughbred V-drive that has had the dog gears welded together so as not to come out of gear.
As far as gear rotation yes the unit neeeds to have the correct rotation gears for the service intended on a Casale. The gears will be stamped left or right.
Hope this helps.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2010 at 1:43pm
Also if you go back thru v-drive dot com data base their was some recent discussion on this very subject of rotation and maybe even photos. I am going to retractr my statement about all Casales being rotation specific but only to the point of a 10* split case needing to be rotation specific.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanic2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 5:53am
Thank you for yor reply.
you told me that i should warm up the engine out of gear then shut it off and put the v-drive in gear and start it. but i think, if i do this, when i start the engine again the boat start runing and i cant control the boat completly.
what is your comment about this? is there any way to working boat in standby whitout turning engine off and on
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 8:55am
do you have a transmission in front of the v-drive? it sounds as if you guy's may be talking about a crashbox? which yes is strictly for racing and the engine must be off and then restarted after its put into a range or gear, can you post some pics?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 11:54am
He posted over on V-drive web site and said it was a 12* casale.
What kind of boat are we talking about here? Flat? Hydro?
We have been running Casales, Hallcrafts , menkins and Aero marine v-drives since the late 40's in these performance inboards. As far as learning how to drive one of these I recomend you find some one that has some seat time to go over a few procedures before you run the boat. keep in mind these boats are a little different to drive and manuver, most utilize a paddle to get the boat pointed in the right direction then fire it off in gear and go. I installed a PCM 1:1 inbetween my motor and the V-drive I can pull mine in and out and have reverse. My flat will run around 80mph. You can go back to V-drive .com and look up some pictures I posted a year or two ago of my setup also their are many other members with setups that you can look at in their profiles.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2010 at 4:43pm
im use to 3 engine set ups, twin disc on port and starboard for R and F, and a crash box in the middle, unlike a car at 80mph you start staining your shorts, never messed to much with the Casales

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanic2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2010 at 1:50pm
I want a drive train (preferly V-drive with casale v-drive) with below specification:

1-12 degree V-drive
2-It can be shifted between forward, neutral and reverse (or at least between neutral and forward) in idle rpm of engine (800 rpm).
3-The V-drive is connected to flywheel side of engine.
4-The rotation direction of flywheel side of engine is clockwise looking toward flywheel. The input rotation of v-drive should be match with this rotation direction.
5-The installation room is tight.

Does a F-N-R casale v-drive meet above requirements, especially cases 2 and 4?
If you have other suggestion that meets above requirements, I will so glad to hear.

What is the crash box? What is its task? How does it work? Where is its location in drive train? Would you please show by picture?

Thanks a lot
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2010 at 2:00pm
what is the application?, it seems your stuck on a casale, i was just wondering the reasoning
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2010 at 4:28pm
Eric, I think we are shooting in the dark as the man does not identify what kind of craft he is trying to power, no pictures, it becomes very hard to give some advice with out the needed information.
Here is casale engineering phone number you might want to call them and get your information first hand PH.562-906-4825

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2010 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Eric, I think we are shooting in the dark as the man does not identify what kind of craft he is trying to power, no pictures, it becomes very hard to give some advice with out the needed information.

A very blank profile too. Maybe he's from a different country and has a hard time with the language.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2010 at 5:48pm
I was getting that feeling. its 2010, many options out there for powertrain configurations

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanic2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2010 at 2:31pm
I am in step of designing a small pleasure planning craft with max. Speed of 30 knot(34.5 mph). The idle of engine is 800 rpm. The maximum engine hp is 102 hp at 2560 rpm.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2010 at 9:15am
diesel i presume? why not a hurth HBW series?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic