Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shaft & Strut Questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MAN - GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAN - GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shaft & Strut Questions
    Posted: December-02-2010 at 10:39pm
I got the shaft free from the coupler using the socket trick from previous posts and what a real PITA that process is - for what it is worth if anyone pursues this process on a 1" shaft the 3/4" deep well socket it just a little too large in diameter - I ended up going to ACE Hardware and finding a pin that would be used on 3 point hookup for a tractor that would fit in the gap b/w the couplers, but was smaller in diameter than the shaft b/c the socket was binding in the coupler. Here is a picture of my strut any chance this is salvagable and can be straightened I am going to the machine shop in the morning to get their opinion, but asking the experts here for opinions before I spend the money on someone's time and it doesn't work. Second question is there supposed to be a cutlass bearing in the shaft log thru the hull - when I got the shaft out there was not one in there. Also I removed the rudder thru hull fitting b/c I think there was a leak there for the last 2 years that was not too bad and not worth fixing, but why I am at it with the shaft removed I pulled it off and there is some kind of sticky goo in the screw holes and around the base - is this CC original install (I think it has not been removed b/c there was still bilge coating on the screw threads on the top side) Any input on this process would be greatly appreciated I have the post on strut alignment printed out as well as lapping prop to shaft post and plan on doing both before total reassembly

THANKS
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2010 at 11:06pm
That strut has the wiggles!!!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 12:24am
Strut can be fixed with a hydraulic press or jack. The bore just needs to be centered & straight with the mounting holes. The S curve doesn't matter. No bushing goes in log.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 8:09am
Mark,
There isn't a cutlass bearing in the hulls shaft log. It's there just to hold the stuffing box. That's it.

Yes, that strut does have the wiggles! It looks like it may have been bent at one time and "straightened" on the boat using a bar.

When you go to the machine shop, take the shaft with you. I think I mentioned it in the other thread but they can set it up in V blocks and run a dial indicator on it. It should not run out more than .003"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MAN - GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAN - GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 9:31am
Thanks for the input - anyone have any feedback on the gooey stuff I referenced

When I put the rudder assembly and strut back on how much 5200 needs to go in there?   

During disassembly it all just fell off no adhesive really holding anything together, just the gooey stuff on the streads at rudder and some old hard/brittle residue on strut that I will need to clean off

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 9:52am
Clean everything back to dry glass and gel. Then circle the port and bolt holes with sealer and put a dab on the threads. 5200 is permanent; 4200 is removable. I like 4200...mostly 'cuz I'm always taking stuff apart.

Don't over-do it. It's tough to clean up and a little goes a long way.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 11:28am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

5200 is permanent; 4200 is removable.

Bah, 5200 isnt that permanant. We resealed the rudder port on the BFN last year, had to take it all apart again after the summer... a BFH got it off- didnt even need to use Pete's hot wire cutting trick!
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 11:47am
Oh no...you took a BFH to your BFN? I heard that should only be done under certain planetary alignments.   

Seriously, 5200 has cost me a gel chip or 2.

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
MAN - GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAN - GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 2:12pm
Pete, the oldtimer at the machine shop said the same thing about it looking like the strut had been worked on the boat - actually there is some dents on the side where it appears a hammer was used to knock it around - machine shop said they would try at no cost believe it or not, but he advised me that with the fatigue that has already set in even if the straightening was successful he would be skeptical about it being safe on the water - his honest opinion was don't take the chance. They are however going to look at the two shafts I have for straighteness and turn the coupler face a little to clean it up where someone tried to pry them apart and they are going to help me lap the new prop to the better of the two shafts this afternoon. All in all this isn't turning out to be too difficult of a job - just a little patience and time

THANKS for the pointers along the way
MAN - GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAN - GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 6:08pm
Just got home from the machine shop and here is the results:

Donated shaft from a generous CCF guy who gave it to me:
   prop end out .028"
   center out .0005"
   coupler end out .0105"

Now for the measurements on the shaft I pulled from my boat:
   prop end out .0009"
   center out .0000"
   couple end out .001"

Needless to say I am going to use my shaft

Machine shop guys helped me lap the prop on as well since it was all there and the new ACME fit almost perfectly to the shaft when checking with the prussian blue - almost no evidence in the prussian that we wiped it all off and checked it again and pretty much the same results - we went ahead and put a little lapping compound on anyway and gave it a few turns just to be sure and called it good

Machine shop was also generous enough to true up the coupler face and bead blast for me and cut a new key - I am going to clean up the coupler on transmission myself with a wire brush and maybe a little polishing compound on a dremel and call it good

The strut was obviously another story and I got a new one ordered this morning
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2010 at 6:28pm
Glad that you got it all worked out. It's cool that the machine shop was so gracious. I have found that people like to help out when they find out you are working on an old Correct Craft.

I also had that gooey sealer all over my strut and rudder port. I found acetone and a brush removed it with ease. Almost feels like plumbers putty to me because it never cures.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
MAN - GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAN - GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2010 at 11:33am
What kind of hose needs to go on the shaft log connection? Is just any hose of the right diameter OK to use or does it need to be wire reinforced?

and between the castle nut and prop does there need to be a washer or spacer of any kind?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2010 at 2:08pm
Mark,
I have always used and have always recommended wired hose but some have had issues with trying to get it onto the log and gland.

A washer is not needed under the prop shaft nut. It's sometimes used to get the castle nut slots to line up better with the hole in the shaft. Besides a safety factor and seating the prop on it's taper, the prop nut's not even needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2010 at 2:06pm
Mark,

Discount Inboard Marine sells the shaft log hose in a 6" length that you just cut down to what you need.

Glad you got the shaft worked out. I'd say I agree with the decision to just get a new strut.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2010 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Okie Boarder Okie Boarder wrote:

Discount Inboard Marine sells the shaft log hose in a 6" length that you just cut down to what you need.

Careful! The 2 CC's that I have replaced the shaft log hose on use 1-1/2", not the 1-3/4" that SkiDIM sells. They mention this on the main page listing the hoses.

SkiDIM hoses by the foot

Getting that hose on and off is a major PITA, by the way. While I understand Pete's recommendation on the wire reinforced stuff, the originals Ive taken apart weren't reinforced at all and seem to have held up fine for the 30+ years they were on the boat.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2010 at 5:58pm
I got my hose from Oreilly, or Autozone. I think it is just green stripe coolant hose. Probably cheaper than ordering and the instant gratification factor...

My original was not reinforced either and I tried to put on some that was. I could not get it on. The coolant hose went on like butter with a little soapy water.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
MAN - GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAN - GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2010 at 6:06pm
I have already put the caliper on the log and it measures 1.5" - there is a radiator/hyd. pump not too far from where I live and they have same hose that SKIDM and others sell so when I get a chance I am going to go by there and get me a foot of each and try the wire reinforced and if it won't work I will go with the un-reinforced and call it done
MAN - GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAN - GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2010 at 9:02pm
Is it OK to use a s.s. key between the shaft and new prop or should I go back with what appears to be a brass shaft key that was installed with the old prop - the old key is brass colored and I didn't want to file on it to see if it was s.s. with some kind of coating otherwise dimishing the size of the key that fit real nice to begin with. For those that may be curious the new 6A6 strut that per my understanding has replaced the 6A strut is alot stouter than the 6A I had - it is thicker in the flange and vertical stem - the flange face that sits on the hull side is not very flat/square and I am thinking about having the machine shop get it nice and flat - any opinions on doing this - thought it may help in strut alignment - it is b/w .025 and .030 out on each side running a straight edge across
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2010 at 11:33pm
Mark - As long as the areas under the bolts are contacting (Strut surface has concave shape), I wouldn't worry about the out of flat condition. If it is bowed such that there is a gap under the bolt ares (convex), that needs to be corrected, otherwise it will preload the fiberglass. But before you start milling it down, check to see if you need to add shims to get the shaft centered in the log.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2010 at 9:22am
Mark,
I agree with Chris on the strut base.
Regarding the key, it really doesn't matter. I'd go back with the brass since they are easier to fit to the keyways plus, the SS will sometimes stick in the keyway requiring some pretty heavy punch and hammer work to get them out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic