Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternatives to Painting

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1982 2001 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982 2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternatives to Painting
    Posted: March-06-2004 at 1:59am
I have a 1982 2001 Ski Nautique that I have owned since 1989. The hull has 22 years of use, with better than average care, but is showing its age. Short of paying BIG $$ to get the hull painted (assuming I can find someone locally who wants such a job), what can I do to revitalize it. I have the standard white hull with the red striping. Please Help!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2004 at 2:12am
have you looked into any of the 3-M products they have a three step polishing line that may work. What kind of problem is it? faded, oxidized, stripe waring through? no luster?
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2004 at 3:16am
I would contact customer service at 3M and Mequires Wax in LA. They can probably suggest products as well as recommending a local detailer in your area who could professionally buff your hull for a fraction of the cost of new paint. If you need to refinish I would not paint but I would re gelcoat. Once you paint you always have to worry about scratches peeling and maintinence is more difficult. A 18 foot boat in San Diego can be re Gelcoat for about $900.00
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2004 at 12:40pm
that's a very good deal rick. gelcoat is expensive and i just don't get the paint thing.

try chemicals, but wet sanding works also. this stuff might save you some sanding: T. R. 311 super duty buffing compound, by TR Industries located in Southgate, CA, 213-923-0838. the red and white 92 on the planet that was pledged and never waxed is just amazing. (some recommend to stay away from teflon based waxes. i'm not a waxer, so i don't know)

you could always just put a bag on your head.. i had to be a smart ass and slip that in. sorry.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic