NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

75 separator rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 15>
Author
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 75 separator rebuild
    Posted: December-09-2010 at 7:34pm
Well finally figured out how to down size pics. here is some photos for ya. a shot of junk interior
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2010 at 7:52pm
pic of boat on dolly
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2010 at 8:10pm
Great to see your progress Jeff keep posting the pictures,as your the V drive guy swing over after Greg and save that Torino.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2010 at 8:46pm
Tried to deal with guy that has the Torino ill wait till he is thinking more rationally here is more pics of my 75. these are the new stringers and some bulkheads, you guys are in trouble i have tons of pics
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2010 at 8:52pm
All the wood was rotted to the point that it could not be used for a template except the stringers, thay were not rotted but very water loged. I used a straight edge and construction paper, and hot glue gun to make templates, worked very well
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2010 at 1:39am
Here is what the sep looks like with no innerds still have some grinding to do
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2010 at 1:48am
more pics of inside!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2010 at 12:04pm
That is a beautiful boat Jeff. Winters are long up here you know that so post those pictures, it's been a little quiet on the projects around here lately.

Very nice homemade boat dolly too. It is sooo nice to be able to move the boat around in the shop rather than stationary.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2010 at 12:40pm
Here is pics of new wood test fitted. then cpes,d then making sure i know where it all goes again    when i go to bed in wood it will have more supports on the outsides.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2010 at 12:44pm
Jeff, its looking great. Making those bulkheads with the notches for the strakes is fun, isnt it?

Did you decide to not replace the wood in the keel? On our BFN, it was soaked- Im glad we took it out.

And now the million dollar question... foam or no foam?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2010 at 1:05pm
Looked at wood in keel, test bored holes seems to be very dry. on your bfn did it seem dry or could you tell right away that it needed replaced. ya got me worried now this is definatly the time to decide now. do to some of the design issues on these v drives { gas tank] we will be reinstalling foam it helps hold tank in place under floor.look at bottom pic thats were tank goes in front of 2nd bulkhead
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2010 at 1:18pm
I think it was Greg who got me worried about the keel board. We were initially up in the air as whether to replace that, as well as the transom, lifting ring area, etc. It all looked fine until we dug in and everything was wet- some was rotten. We replaced with composite so we made the decision to get all the wood out while we had it apart.

It sounds like the gas tank is shaped like a vee and sits right down in the hull? Interesting! Personally, Id probably be looking at other ways to mount it rather than relying on the foam, but thats just me... the more CC's I restore, the more I find myself becoming part of the "no foam" camp.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2010 at 1:18pm
The one on the dolly, that's a sterndrive right? I had seen a Sterndrive correct craft for sale in East Wakefield NH a couple years back. I didn't believe it was a real CC. It had an OMC looking white lower unit on it though. Is yours a newer Mercruiser?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2010 at 1:21pm
CC made a number of sterndrives in the late 60's and early 70's. Ive seen Freeports/Swingers, Torino's, Separators, some tri-hulls and even a Mustang. They originally came with the white Volvo outdrives youre describing.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2010 at 1:30pm
The 75 on the dolly has a mercruiser that is original, it will be replaced with a newer alpha gen 2 unit do to more horse power going in. im in the market for a boat with said outdrie above that has everything complete motor, drive, controlls, exc. that has been wrecked or what ever, keep your eyes open
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2010 at 1:40pm
Are those mains square on top? If they are, a small roundover will help when you're laying glass.

And could you please clean up that shop?   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2010 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Are those mains square on top? If they are, a small roundover will help when you're laying glass.

Good call Greg.

Also, you'll want to remove the gel in the bilge where the glass for the new stringers and bulkheads will lay. I chose to remove it all, but 6-8" all around is probably enough. We also chose to remove all the glass that had been covering the original stringers and bulkheads so we were bonding directly to the hull... we spent a lot of time grinding and pulling up that glass.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2010 at 11:33am
Mains are slightly rolled over on top, and yes you guys are correct there is more grinding to do well what do ya guys think about the keel board?
WOFTAM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOFTAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2010 at 12:16pm
Jeff-

Looks great! Take some shots of that cradle: Inside and where the supports meet the hull.

Thanks man
Just because you can does not mean you should.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2010 at 12:17pm
Alpha outdrive?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2010 at 3:32am
Hello Eric! not sure what your question is, but boat had old pre alpha 888 out drive. just want to upgrade to better equipement.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2010 at 11:47am
Here is a pic of the new tank we had built, the old one was all corroded up on the bottom. a fellow down in angola IN did the work,he did a very nice job, but expensive 500 bones. guess the boat wont run without it as soon as the weather breaks a little going to put boat out side and finish grinding
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2010 at 10:12pm
Well worked on the sep today, getting ready to do some wet sanding and gell repair. P/O repainted stripe so we scraped all paint, going to make template of old stripe to make reverse template so we can repaint. removed outdrive to clean and WALA! found more rotten wood the transom will need extensive work so ill have a few questions along the way. here are some pics.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2010 at 10:20pm
these didnt post before.
WOFTAM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOFTAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2010 at 11:48am
You are so close. Pleaaaaase take some pics of that cradle from the underside of the boat.

Thanks

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2010 at 12:53pm
Woftam! here ya go, just keep in mind that i use these just to make clean up alot easier, and rolling outside to grind when it comes to bedding and all the glass work im going to take it off bunk and get it closer to floor on similar bunk so my old ass dont have to do all that climbing in and out. this thing will roll if the wind blows, it will even move just by walking around in it {i didnt get the locking wheels]
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2010 at 12:55pm
WOFTAM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOFTAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2010 at 5:05pm
Thanks, Man! I hear you on those locking wheels.

Good job on that Separator!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2010 at 8:47pm
Worked on the sep most of the day, got all the old wood out of transom. looks to me like the old ply was glassed then put in and bonded to the boat. the glass didnt stick to well when installed leaving a gap between wood and hull, what a friggin mess today was one of those days you wished you passed on this fine unit here is pic prior to grinding, any body want to help
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2010 at 8:53pm
My computer is acting up! sorry it wont let me post pic
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 15>
  Share Topic