NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anchor Questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anchor Questions
    Posted: December-23-2010 at 3:09pm
May be a strange question but whats a good weight on an anchor for my 83 SN? I never have had one and were starting to go to some bigger lakes where we like to tie up and swim.

Thanks
1983 Ski Nautique
harriss28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harriss28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2010 at 3:13pm
I have a 25# vinyl coated navy anchor. Ive nevere had a problem with it

Shawn
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2010 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by harriss28 harriss28 wrote:

I have a 25# vinyl coated navy anchor. Ive nevere had a problem with it

Shawn

@ 25lbs heck I guess not. If that thing gets into a really muddy bottom you pull your back out trying to get her up.

I use a 15lb river anchor tied to the bow eyelet. I have used a 10lb mushroom up until this summer. I upgraded cause
A. the stupid thing came untied
B. big rollers seemed to disloge a mushroom easier than a river anchor but the lakes down here in GA are very mucky and soft.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2010 at 10:26pm
Cool I appreciate the heads up........I will also be sure to tie it well! LOL    
1983 Ski Nautique
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2010 at 10:54pm
Wonder who--I mean what The Godfather uses??
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2010 at 12:09am
Sleeping with the fishes, concrete boots........mmmmmmm sounds kind of funny!
1983 Ski Nautique
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2010 at 1:40am

I concur, stay away from the mushroom anchor, they're useless.
You get better results with a bleach bottle filled with sand   
-Adam

1973 Skier
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2010 at 10:24am
I utilize a 75 pound elevator weight. It serves two purposes,one it is a ballast counter weight in the boat for trick and slalom skiing (especially when their is only the driver) that can be moved around the floor. Second is as a anchor. It cleans off nicely as it is a painted surface and has a nice handle built into it.
I made a second one out of a lead head. drilled and bolted a handle to it.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2010 at 1:30pm
I like the sound of the ballast idea........
1983 Ski Nautique
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2010 at 2:10pm
I have a 15 pound plastic coated mushroom that is adequate for the conditions I anchor in which like you is for swimming on calm days, a river anchor definitly has more bite, I just don't like storing it in the boat. The plastic keeps the carpet from getting rust marks. I just bougtht a cute little folding anchor off craigs list for 5 dollars, it is maybe 5 pounds and I am going to try it as a second anchor for the downwind side when rafting up. I expect that I will have to get out and "step" it into the sand to make it work, but it will store very nicely and rarely get used.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2010 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by adamt adamt wrote:

I would disagree with this, the mushroom will give some bite if you trail out enough line that it tips onto a side and drags into the bottom. It depends on the bottom surface. It takes alot of weight if they are dropped nearly straight down.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2010 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Originally posted by adamt adamt wrote:

I would disagree with this, the mushroom will give some bite if you trail out enough line that it tips onto a side and drags into the bottom. It depends on the bottom surface. It takes alot of weight if they are dropped nearly straight down.

Dave,
I agree that mushroom anchors do have there place. It all depends on the lake bottom you're dealing with. They won't be making and selling so many if they didn't work! Maybe it's a north of Florida thing!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2010 at 3:21pm
I have a 15 # vinyl coated tri tipped anchor. It works for what I need it for, but it is awkward to store. I'm thinking of getting a folding box anchor.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2010 at 8:15pm
Storage is important not alot of room in the ol 83 SN....
1983 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2010 at 8:30pm
I missed a deal on a folding box on craigslist, would be a nice option.
1987 Ski Nautique

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2010 at 9:33pm
I use a 7 lbs danforth anchor with 5 feet stainles chain attached. It works great.
harriss28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harriss28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2010 at 11:33pm
i forgot to say in my earlier post that I use an "anchor buddy" along with the 25# navy anchor. The anchor buddy provides some forgivesness for the big waves. It also allows the boat to be pulled into shore with ease. After the boat ispulled in, the bungie pulls the boat right back out. I dont know what I would do without mine. We have been though some very high wind, and my anchor has never moved.   
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2010 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

I utilize a 75 pound elevator weight. It serves two purposes,one it is a ballast counter weight in the boat for trick and slalom skiing (especially when their is only the driver) that can be moved around the floor.

Jodi if I used a 75lb anchor I feel that I would be the one on the bottom after attempting to pull it up.

I do use 2 ea 88lb blocks of lead as counter balance to the driver. They were weights off a 727 front bulkhead used for counter balancing the 3 engines hanging off the back. When that airplane was empty it would sit on its tail if they weren't there.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2010 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

I utilize a 75 pound elevator weight. It serves two purposes,one it is a ballast counter weight in the boat for trick and slalom skiing (especially when their is only the driver) that can be moved around the floor.

Jodi if I used a 75lb anchor I feel that I would be the one on the bottom after attempting to pull it up.

If I do have to utilize it as an anchor and it gets stuck in the mud I pull on it with the boat to free it up and not the back.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2010 at 2:30pm
...only thing a mushroom anchor is good for is holding down the wet ski vests on the dock.

I'm with horkn, 15lb tripper is the way to go when dealing with Mud and soft lake bottoms
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic