NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

transom ski tow eye

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: transom ski tow eye
    Posted: December-28-2010 at 2:50pm
Hey guys,
I'm considering adding a transom ski tow eye to my 88. I believe they were installed from CC on the 89. Although not original to my year model, the addition of the ski tow on the transom would add alot of function to my boat as I usually have enough people in the boat to make using the rear seat a necessity. I've typically used the pylon but run the lines through the rear lifting ring, but it tears up the rope.

I'll probably catch some grief for the unoriginality, but it isn't unoriginal enough to be a problem for me. Question is, what size is the tow eye on the 89? These can be purchased from a number of different places, but I do want to get the right size.

Anybody know the size?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2010 at 3:11pm
Have you considered an extended Pylon which would put the rope high enough to have back seat passengers? Assuming you are only doing recreational skiing with that much weight in the boat pulling from the high point should not be a problem.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2010 at 4:04pm
I agree with Quinner, Skylon is the most simple solution.

Adding a tow eye (properly) would require you to pull the tank and glass in a backing plate big enough to span the space necessary to spread the load of the rope. I wouldn't trust any wood that's there now. Plan on replacing.   

I would be pretty cautious of doing so and would worry about keeping the gel in condition without cracking.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2010 at 4:41pm
I would have to agree on both counts. To add the ring and do it right is a lot of work.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2010 at 4:43pm
We ride tied off to a pole and the people in the back seat are not in the way.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Nautique Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 1:00am
We used the transom ski ring on our old 89 SN2001 a few times. The rope tends to get caught in the wash off the boat. We only used it when we had two skiers on or were having tube wars and needed the second eyelet. We started out with a fly high pylon that solved the problem you have and eventually went to a monster tower that was a huge step up over the pylon.
1997 Nautique Super Sport

1989 Ski Nautique 2001 (Sold)
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 11:25am
Dammit, you guys make too much sense I was trying to do this on the cheap and easy, but after thinking about pulling the tank and what I might find on the transom, it sure would be alot easier to go the pylon route. That would solve my problems but i hate the idea of the set up as I trailer to the lake every time I use the boat.

Funny thing is that I sold a pylon to jbear 3 years or so ago when I sold my last nautique b/c I had bought a tower boat.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 11:54am
Steve, Setting up an extended pylon takes 5 minutes tops and if you got that many folks going have one of them do it. I love my Skylon and when you go to teach those girls of yours to ski/board then you be glad you have it. Mom, will enjoy it too when it comes time to have some on the water time with the girls. If you add a rack to it then you'll free up some floor space too.

If you talk nice to him maybe the jbear would sell it back to ya!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Steve, Setting up an extended pylon takes 5 minutes tops and if you got that many folks going have one of them do it. I love my Skylon and when you go to teach those girls of yours to ski/board then you be glad you have it. Mom, will enjoy it too when it comes time to have some on the water time with the girls. If you add a rack to it then you'll free up some floor space too.

If you talk nice to him maybe the jbear would sell it back to ya!

Thanks Tim,
a lesson that i've learned and forgotten many times is that you should never, ever sell any watersports gear even when you're certain that you'll never use it again.
Does your skylon slip over the CC pylon? That's more desirable than the skyjack I sold to jbear as it mounted in front of the pylon .
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 1:43pm
Check ebay and craigslist you can get another pylon for $100. When I put the rope through the rear lifting ring I also put it through small section of vinyl hose, no more rope damage.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 2:04pm
Steve, a Skylon should work perfectly for your boat. I put mine on in the water since the boat is on a lift and can get it done pretty quickly. If you are trailering I would say that makes it even easier to get everything lined up and strapped down correctly.

Keep an eye out, I found one on Ski-it-again.com for 75 bucks shipped.   
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 4:07pm
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

$40 Skylon in CA

$100 FlyHigh in TX

FlitePipe $150 in FL

You're the man Hollywood!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 6:04pm
that $40 skylon sure looks tempting!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 6:26pm
That Hardlywood sure knows how to find Pole!!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 6:52pm
quinner has trouble finding his own pole
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2010 at 10:46pm
LOL !!!!!!!
Hooty222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooty222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 10:46pm
Hello I have a 86 that I added a rear transom eye I purchased from Ebay... luckily had the correct "angle" on the stud washers to mate to the transome perfect... HOWEVER as stated by others I NEVER USE IT... the extended pole works great.. I didnt glass any additional in my transom. where it mounts CC already beefed it up for the lifting eye on back. Blah Blah   dont waste your time..
1986 Ski nautique 351
1988 Barefoot nautique 454
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Hooty222 Hooty222 wrote:

where it mounts CC already beefed it up for the lifting eye on back. Blah Blah   dont waste your time..

True, but have you seen some of that wood that guys on this site have pulled out?!?! No way I would ever want to use that!

Any 89 owners out there with stress cracks around their tow eyes?
homebuiltburner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote homebuiltburner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 11:27pm
Just reading the discussion. I've had the same thoughts and always wondered how the skylon and fly high attach. Please enlighten.
Never cook bacon with your shirt off!!
     66 Mustang
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2011 at 12:19am
thanks for all the input guys....i've decided to go the extended pylon route, but have been too busy to do anything with or for the boat here lately.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2011 at 12:24am
Originally posted by homebuiltburner homebuiltburner wrote:

Just reading the discussion. I've had the same thoughts and always wondered how the skylon and fly high attach. Please enlighten.

Homebuilt, I've seen a couple of different styles. There are some that attach by simply sliding over the existing pylon as the inner diameter of the extension is slightly larger than the outer diameter of the existing pylon. (Ring and Finger topped pylons pose a problem as they will only work if the Ring and Finger are removed) The other type has brackets that typically bolt to the front of the pylon and then the extended pylon is secured to the brackets by pins. The tops of all of these pylons then have a cable/strap setup that transfers the load to the front bow eye. They work well, but there's some set up involved and if a bimini is used, modification to the bimini may be necessary
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic