NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting an Old 6 Pot Graymarine

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting an Old 6 Pot Graymarine
    Posted: January-16-2011 at 7:46pm
Hi Guys, Having a go at starting the old 6 pot Graymarine which is 6v positive earth using a 12v battery, so to just run I have run a power from the Neg side of the battery to a ballast block Pos side then out to the coil on the Pos side and then to the Dis from the Neg side of the coil.

Have discontented all old wiring just power to starter and coil.

No spark as yet have I made a mess of this set up.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2011 at 5:38pm
Well I now have a spark just needed a good clean up have not got it running yet just to kick a few times I was so close, these old 6 pots run a battery down real quick when cranking here over.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
SUNAPEE CROW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNAPEE CROW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2011 at 5:03am
Dumb move!! you should have stayed with 6 V or made the change to 12V.One or the other, they can't coexist!!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2011 at 8:54am
Originally posted by SUNAPEE CROW SUNAPEE CROW wrote:

Dumb move!! you should have stayed with 6 V or made the change to 12V.One or the other, they can't coexist!!

Rick.
Dumb? Why do you say that? Could it be possible that Roger is just using the 12 volt to see if the engine will run? If you read his post, he's got a ballast resistor feeding the coil!!!

"Coexist"? They can and it's done all the time! FYI, on a 12 volt conversion from a 6 volt, the only major component that needs to be converted is the generator. Gauges will read only slightly off since 99% of them are dual coil. Starter is fine. Bulbs do need changing. Ballast resistor added.

Being blunt here, you calling someone "dumb" is pretty bold since you may not know the full story and it sounds like you do not know what's involved in the conversion.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2011 at 10:14am
Originally posted by SUNAPEE CROW SUNAPEE CROW wrote:

Thanks for your knowledge, its my understanding you can run 12v through a 6v starter just don't run it for long time as the solenoid gets hot, as I'm running off the battery all the other 6v is not used.

I am only trying to see if it would run after I unseized it from a few decades of not running to show how strong the USA built engines are.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2011 at 4:23pm
Quite common to use 2 6v batteries in an old boat, systems are run off and charged @ 6v by the gen but the batteries are tied together and the second battery is used for 12V starting only. Problem with it is only the 6v battery in circuit with the gen gets charged. Most that do this put a trickle charge on the second battery when the boats not being used.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
SUNAPEE CROW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNAPEE CROW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2011 at 4:30pm
Sorry, my bad! I'm not calling anyone dumb. Having been confronted with this same issue on tractors, boats and other equipment, I have found it best to either make the change to 12 V or buy the big 6V battery.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2011 at 6:16pm
No worries Rick, this what I did to get her running.

I unseized the engine by mixing Diesel white spirit and mentholated spirit and poured it into the plug holes and let it soak for a few days each day would give it a try with a big monkey wrench on the end of the crank.
All I have done is stripped down both carbs and fuel pump and cleaned, cut off all old wiring and wired to run off a 12v battery put a ballast in-between to the coil 2 new spark plugs and fitted a outboard fuel tank,(thanks Billy for the tip) cleaned up all the points, plugs ect.

There is a knack to starting her you have to get the choke just right, Hats off to you guys not many engines would run like this after a few decades left to seize up, enjoy your heritage.

6 pot Graymarine Running.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2011 at 9:28am
Roger,
I think you need to build another boat now that you have two engines! During the rebuild, just make a duplicate! Put the Gray back in the original and the Y block in the duplicate. Keep in mind there's no point deduction for a original engine. The Y even though it was offered from the factory, will be a 1 point deduction since it wasn't the actual original.

Have you looked into the ACBS over there? The organization is international but I don't know about chapters overseas.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2011 at 11:19am
Nice work getting it started Roger. It's amazing how much abuse these engines can take and just tick over after 20 years of sitting.

At the factory I work at there are a bunch of guys that work on older John Deere tractors. I've seen seized engines loosened up just the way you did it, running on the farm a week later. 12 volt conversions, 6/12 volt hybrids, diesels with pony engine startup, it's just fun to watch them run. They are built so strong, low rpm, nothing seems to stop them, just like your Gray.

I wonder if 45 years from now anyone will be saying "those old efi Chevy's, you just can't kill them, they can sit for decades and start right up". I doubt it will be so easy to get a 2010 engine running in 2055 as it its to get a 1965 engine running in 2010.

Do you have plans for the engine? What was rated power for that Gray? What year?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2011 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Roger,
I think you need to build another boat now that you have two engines! During the rebuild, just make a duplicate! Put the Gray back in the original and the Y block in the duplicate. Keep in mind there's no point deduction for a original engine. The Y even though it was offered from the factory, will be a 1 point deduction since it wasn't the actual original.

Have you looked into the ACBS over there? The organization is international but I don't know about chapters overseas.

Pete, you been reading my mind again, yes I will have a go at making a brother or 2 now it runs, just deciding if to map for CNC or old school making a template of each part and run out off a pin router & spindle.

Run her up again today and tried the gearlever as you can see more great engineering from the USA.
Gearbox works too

Shall look into ACBS over here, I think we only have a classic boat club here.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2011 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Do you have plans for the engine? What was rated power for that Gray? What year?

David, She a 136hp Gray and as you can see hope to build a brother.

This is the engineering that built your country and made to last no matter what.

As with our country a big mistake to out source abroad for a fast buck,It can be done look at Germany high living standards and now on the up because they still make things.

Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic