NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1969 Mustang Stringer Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 89101112 15>
Author
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 3:22pm
We have a WINNER!!!

Vondy,   sorry I didn't spot it from your first pics.
But, you can't do what you are trying to without a different back plate.

You need a back plate that has "Dual" mount clamps.

So,   Slayer, prepare for refreshments.
     Pete, get out your wallet.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 3:34pm
It took me several minutes of staring at it, but I see the same thing that DrCC is saying. The difference between the MV1 and MV2 backing plates is the second (lower) tranmission cable mount.

A little pictorial:

Whats missing is the piece in blue. Like Pete said, the trans bracket (yellow arrow) would need to be flipped- and face down instead of up. What *might* be possible to do without requiring a different backing plate is to flip it over. This would require relocating the trans bracket (green) and throttle bracket (red) be moved to the opposite side. I know the throttle bracket is held on by screws- I cant remember if the trans cable is riveted, welded, or just bent over.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

I will be prepaired for GL but I haven't given up yet!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 3:39pm

We have a WINNER!!!

Vondy,   sorry I didn't spot it from your first pics.
But, you can't do what you are trying to without a different back plate.

You need a back plate that has "Dual" mount clamps.

Getting thirsty over here, Pete. Impending deliciousness.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 3:49pm
More confusion Tim?

It has nothing to do with MV1-MV2.
Some MV1's had the Dual mount.
Some had just the one.

Could be, a PO cut one off.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 3:58pm

More confusion Tim?

It has nothing to do with MV1-MV2.
Some MV1's had the Dual mount.
Some had just the one.

Could be, a PO cut one off.

Which part is confusing, Al? Can the plate be flipped as I describe? Ive never tried it, Im just spitballing here.

Sorry for mis-speaking... I should have said that some MV1's (like mine, Vondy's and presumably Wakeslayer's) only have a single trans bracket, whereas the MV2's always have this (at least thats what is shown in the manual).
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 4:05pm
No,   You can't just flip the plate.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 4:37pm
So now that we have decided it can't be done, I'll go Mike's route. Is there a consensus on cable length for that way?
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 4:58pm
Woops, sorry,   It's actually stupid simple.

Put the Morse back to the way it was.   Then flip the whole thing over.
Placing your neutral button forward of the shift lever.
You will have to change the 3 mounting bolt holes on the gunnel.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 5:07pm
Getting thirstier...
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

Getting thirstier...

Don't worry Mike - just incase, I'll be going to one of our specialty stores to find the Moose Drool. However, I'm not giving up so don't forget to bring your MV to GL!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 5:27pm
You don't need to get Moose Drool on my account, Pete. Just not Spotted Cow.

Depending upon my mode of transportation, I will bring the MV1 from the 67.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 5:52pm
On a side note... how particular is the length for transmission coolant lines? My current ones ar 31" and 32.5". I want to replace them along with my cooler so everything will be nice and fresh for my rebuilt velvet drive. Not finding those particular lengths online. SkiDim has a 36" line. Can I just get two of those and call it a day?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 6:55pm
I would assume that the 36" ones would be fine. Just low pressure hydraulic hose. You could probably go to a farm store locally and get them made however you want them based upon your old ones.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 3:48pm

Woops, sorry,   It's actually stupid simple.

Put the Morse back to the way it was.   Then flip the whole thing over.
Placing your neutral button forward of the shift lever.
You will have to change the 3 mounting bolt holes on the gunnel.

The Dr is right! I put the cables as they were, turned everything upside down, took the handle off and flipped it.

So technically it works. But because of the taper of the morse base, I think I would have part of two mounting holes showing. So I am inclined to keep the cables coming off of the back and just doing a u-turn towards the bow. I'm still not sure on length. I did some estimated measurements again today and it seemed like I would need upwards to 21 feet of cable for the throttle. More for the trans. That is if I do the u-turn method.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 4:48pm
David,
I still like the idea of the cables going forward and then looping down into the bilge instead of the tighter bends they need to go down the hull sides aft. You could use some finish (cup) washers and a couple of machine screws to plug uo the holes of the Morse you'd end up with.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 4:56pm
Or just fill the two visible holes with resin and gel.   So it would allow the Morse to sit flat on the surface like it should.   Without elongating the rectangle hole.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

David,
I still like the idea of the cables going forward and then looping down into the bilge instead of the tighter bends they need to go down the hull sides aft. You could use some finish (cup) washers and a couple of machine screws to plug uo the holes of the Morse you'd end up with.

Pete, youre not advocating a non-original modification are you? Especially one that involves drilling more holes?!

Ill still suggest keeping the backwards routing of the cables- the bends arent so tight as to cause binding. My Skier's throttle is as smooth as any Ive used. If you are dead set on going forward, Id be looking for a used throttle plate that can be reversed more easily... even if you have to buy the whole control to get it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

David,

Pete, youre not advocating a non-original modification are you? Especially one that involves drilling more holes?!

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Ill still suggest keeping the backwards routing of the cables- the bends arent so tight as to cause binding. My Skier's throttle is as smooth as any Ive used. If you are dead set on going forward, Id be looking for a used throttle plate that can be reversed more easily... even if you have to buy the whole control to get it.

A different backing plate?? Well now, that's not original ether!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 5:57pm
The u-turn I would have to make having them come from the back of the control is nothing compared to the turn it made down the side to the floor like in the old way. And the controls were very smooth.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2011 at 1:38am
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

The u-turn I would have to make having them come from the back of the control is nothing compared to the turn it made down the side to the floor like in the old way. And the controls were very smooth.

Word.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2011 at 3:54am
Should I notch my floor around the motor mount wedges directly to the stringers or should I mount right on top of the floor?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2011 at 9:25am
David,
I'd notch the floor. With the engine wedges directly on the stringers, it's one less joint for the lag bolts.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2011 at 8:08pm
This weekend I was able to get all the ribs and floor pieces cut and CPESed. My plan is to put 1 layer of glass cloth on to each side of each piece. My question today is after I bed the ribs in place, how much, if any, glassing to the hull should I do? I was thinking 1 4inch strip. Thoughts?

And on the floor to hull, I was going to do the 2, 4, 6 tape. Should I double them up like the stringers? Should I biax or would that be too much stress on the hull sides?

Thanks guys! Putting in some overtime on this beast of a project. It's amazing how much time some of the things you think would be easy actually take.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2011 at 10:23pm
Ribs are bedded, minus some middle ones, need to lay one more layer of biax down the center of the bilge first.

Any thoughts on my previous question if I should glass the ribs to the hull?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2011 at 10:53pm
David,
Yes, the port to starboard "ribs" should be glassed to the hull just like the the stringers. It just makes the whole "system" work together from a structural standpoint.

WOW, it looks like you are becoming a real pro with the glass!! From the pictures, it looks like you did not radius the top edges of any of the stringers. It can be a real PITA to get the glass to make that corner!! What have you laid over it so far?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2011 at 11:09pm
Thanks Pete. I did put a quarter inch radius on the stringers. The mains are wrapped in biax and on the secondaries I brought the last layer of glass around the top.

None on the ribs. Figured they didn't need fiberglass wrapped around the sides since all the sides will be bedded in thickened epoxy. Both faces of all the ribs are glassed.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2011 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

Thanks Pete. I did put a quarter inch radius on the stringers. The mains are wrapped in biax and on the secondaries I brought the last layer of glass around the top.

None on the ribs. Figured they didn't need fiberglass wrapped around the sides since all the sides will be bedded in thickened epoxy. Both faces of all the ribs are glassed.

You"re cool but just in case someone comes on site and hears about the thickened resin, the bottom line is it is NOT as strong as actual cloth no matter what the "weave" is.

Keep going!! I want to hear that engine going again!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
charger496 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2011 at 1:02am
I've noticed on larger boats the ribs for reinforcement, but most of the small boats being rebuilt recently here don't have ribs, just mains and secondary stringers. Is this boat destined for rough water, or just a life of never having to worry if you built it strong enough? And by the way, it looks stout as hell! Well done.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2011 at 1:35am
The ribs in my case are really for extra flood support. Also wanted to avoid the notched in cross bracing. Actually most of the water I'm on is way too rough. Maybe the ribs will help.

I put one layer of 2 inch and one of 4 inch on the ribs. Will probably add a layer of 6 to the larger pieces. One half is done, will finish up in the morning and hopefully get some floor pieces down.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 89101112 15>
  Share Topic