NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1969 Mustang Stringer Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 131415
Author
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2011 at 11:44am
Well guys I finally cranked up the Mustang. To my surprise, she ran pretty smoothly. Of course this was in the driveway under no load.

Couple of things I noticed. First, there are some pinhole leaks in my fiberglass exhaust. They have probably been there forever for all I know. Seem to leak the most at idle, goes away under throttle. Thinking about brushing on some epoxy, see if that solves it. Maybe some fiberglass patches. Also had the hose hooked directly up and mine has quite a bit of pressure behind it so don't know if that would have amplified the leaks or not.

Also, Eric, I noticed my transmission turning in neutral at idle. Stopped when I throttled up. Nothing I could not easily stop with my hand. It's also not hooked up to the shaft yet so there is no resistance. Didn't know if this was OK after the rebuild.

Still have to instal the seats, motor box, and side panels. Going to leave the floor out and do a test run to check for leaks first.

I posted a YouTube video of her running. First video so let's see if it works.

Video
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2011 at 2:15pm
You're almost there.   

Acetone, light sanding, and wrap it with glass. I wouldn't do a quick fix on a part that will sink you.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2011 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

You're almost there.   

Acetone, light sanding, and wrap it with glass. I wouldn't do a quick fix on a part that will sink you.

Sounds like a smart idea.
MAN - GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAN - GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2011 at 5:14pm
David and Others,
In the video and pictures on page 14 of this thread there appears you have two freshwater pickups thru-hull on your boat. One is on the port side which is the way my boat is and all the others I have seen, and the other is on the starboard side which looks like a "T" fitting and then continues on to the pump on front of engine. The hose loops over the prop shaft log in the picture and video.

Is there really two freshwater pickup locations? and what is the purpose of setting up the boat this way?

Just trying to learn something new
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2011 at 5:48pm
That's how mine is. Two pickups. Couldn't tell you why. Guess the more the merrier.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2011 at 11:38am
Successful first run yesterday evening Took her out to the lake with a buddy of mine, water was nice and smooth. I had the removable panel out to check for leaks and much to my surprise all was well. Engine ran smooth, the timing seems to be more steady with my new timing chain. I didn't get her up to WOT, a little scared to. So we took it easy. Got her close to 4K.

One thing.... for Eric, like my driveway run a few days ago, the trans is spinning in neutral. Not enough to move the boat, I can easily stop with my hand. Normal after rebuild?

And for the engine guys, one thing I have always noticed with the boat, when I'm cruising along and come off the throttle, the engine sounds like a car engine would if you down shifted maybe a bit too early or was doing some engine braking. Being my first boat I always wondered if that was normal?

All-in-all it went well. Glad to finally get her on the water. Makes that rebuild seem like it might have been worth it. Just got to clean her up and put a few more items in and I'll get some pics up.
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2011 at 11:53am
Hay Vondy! looking good. cant wait to see the pics.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 9:33pm
Sunday we had a good day on the water. Several hours of cruising. It was fairly smooth on the lake except a few areas. I was impressed, after the stringer job the Mustang seems to take the chop a little better. Just feels more solid. Maybe I'm just not as afraid to hit them harder now that I know she's a tank.

We will be headed to my brothers this weekend for some more water action. This time there will be some wakeboarding, skiing, kids tubing, so she'll get a good workout. I'll get some good pics while we are there. They have a pontoon so it makes for a good camera platform.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

Sunday we had a good day on the water. Several hours of cruising. It was fairly smooth on the lake except a few areas. I was impressed, after the stringer job the Mustang seems to take the chop a little better. Just feels more solid. Maybe I'm just not as afraid to hit them harder now that I know she's a tank.

We will be headed to my brothers this weekend for some more water action. This time there will be some wakeboarding, skiing, kids tubing, so she'll get a good workout. I'll get some good pics while we are there. They have a pontoon so it makes for a good camera platform.

David.
I'm very happy about the result of your project!! Fantastic!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 11:18pm
Thanks Pete. As always, couldn't have done it without y'all

I noticed some of my earlier pics disappeared. Going to have to see if I can fix those so others can follow the tread.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 1:17am
It does feel good to be at the helm knowing that everything is brand new again! Congratulations on a job well done and don't hold out on those pics when you get back.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 5:47pm
As promised, some action shots.

She sure looks more vibrant in the pictures.

My brother trying to park her next to the pontoon. Got to love slow speeds and rudders.

Yeah we pulled a tube. No way the 4 year old was getting up on a ski. We did get the 9 year old up on the wakeboard briefly before he gave up.

Beautiful Arkansas lakes.

All the hard work.

The nephews always wanted to ride in the fast boat.

She ran good all day. Pretty much blew through a tank of gas. Little surprised but I guess we did a bit of driving and pulling.

Going to take another trip with her next weekend to my dad's new lake house. Got to get all my hard work out of her.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2011 at 7:40pm
David,
You should be very proud of all your work you did on that boat. Fantastic job!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 1:03am
Looks great David.I still remember when you were 1st looking at it,you've come a long way.Motor looks great too,running better too I hope. I like how the exhausts look when painted, and after seeing yours I'm thinking I should do mine.By the way HM valve covers are 260 a pair.Have fun!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 1:25am
How did you end up connecting the exhausts back up by the elbowes?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 4:03am
Thanks Gary. I called HM the day we talked about it but I guess they had already closed. Kept forgetting after that.

Here's what I did on my exhaust.

Got some 45 rubber elbows. These are not cheap, around $80 a pair. They do come with hose clamps.

In order for my fiberglass exhaust to be low enough for the removable floor to fit, they needed to be as low as possible at the connecting point so I had to get some stainless tubing to make the fit. I still had to route out part of the floor so they would fit.

All tightened up.

Still have to paint the HM logos on the engine.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2011 at 6:04pm
Looks Awesome!!! nice work!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 131415
  Share Topic