NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

off topic winter projects

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 9>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 9:50am
Gary,
I sure hope he's pulling my leg!!!

The spinning is getting jobbed out. I'd need another piece of equipment plus spinning falls into the catagory of "art form" requiring a rather big learning curve. I'd probably waste more brass in scrap than what it would cost to have a pro do it! This project I wanted to get out of the way now. There aren't many metal spinners around anymore and I sure won't find one up north!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 10:05am
just pulling your leg Pete, but i would bet somewhere in a old parts house there are a few of those laying around and they will end up in the scrap pile
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 11:10am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

just pulling your leg Pete, but i would bet somewhere in a old parts house there are a few of those laying around and they will end up in the scrap pile

As mentioned, I have been doing plenty of searching and a couple problems come up. I've never been able to find one piece of info on the light I do have. It turns out there were quite a few manufacturers that made them and most common were for car headlights. This one has "Chicago Auto Headlamp Wks." on it's name plate. Next is the ones I did find all have the same problem with age, the brass and the "zincification" - brittle and cracking all over. The only ones that were fairly intact, were cheaper versions made with steel bodies. At least the missing acetyene burner and it's base are the same as the repo's for model T's and available.

After the parts are spun, the next project will be riveting and soldering all the old parts on. They weren't "pop" riveted!!! I do have the top oval vent hood to fab up as well. I'm going to have to brush up on my soldering skills and get the old iron out!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2011 at 7:41pm
After much hunting (several years) and daily searches including ebay, I finally got my hands on this;

Anyone want to take a shot at what it is? I don't even think we have anyone on site that's old enough to remember them!!! A hint is, it goes along with the carbide search light I'm restoring. I had been looking for a earlier brass one but those in good shape have been going for close to 2K. Brass reproductions are out there but they get $1800 for them. I settled on this steel one because it's NOS and has all the parts. Now all I need is some calcium carbide and of course finish the search light!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2011 at 8:00pm
Not sure what it is called, its the tank you add water to the calcium carbide to make fuel to fire the light..

.....I think.. ???
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2011 at 12:01am
Pete, may i suggest a light bulb and 12 volts to it?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2011 at 8:41am
Steve,
You have the idea. Most call it a "carbide generator" but the more appropriate is a "acetylene generator". When water is dripped over the calcium carbide the acetylene is produced. Larger versions were used to light houses and welding shops even had them before bottled acetylene. I graduated from Montana State and it's metal shop had one out back and used it until the 60's when bottled gasses were available in the area. I understand it blew up a couple of times!! Unlike the small generators that only develop about 1 PSI, the ones used for welding/cutting where higher pressure. You needed to kep a real close eye on them. Acetylene becomes very unstable over 15 PSI!!

Eric,
Thanks for the non original idea. You wouldn't be a very good ACBS judge! Besides a battery, where am I going to get power off a hand crank start magneto ignition engine??? Remeber, this is going into the old launch that I rebuilt the Universal Flexifour for. BTW, the seach light have been converted (to 6 volt!!) and those parts came out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2011 at 10:05am

that and some oxygen in a garbage bag makes a hell of a boom.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2011 at 7:32pm
Wow Pete,   How cool!    The reality of growing up in our "disposable goods" age is that some of the old technologies were pretty ingenious, and we are missing out on seeing how smart our predicessors were.   While I am not always a keep it original guy, I love the fact that some people take it seriously enough to preserve the way Things used to be.   Some day I hope to have the luxury, skill and time to work out a cool old project like this!
nice work!
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2011 at 8:45pm
Pete there is an old estate near me that when i worked there (heating calls) it was a private residence. the owner pointed out an out building nearby and told me it was an acetylene generating area for lighting. I wonder if it worked on the same principle .even after 25 yrs i still wonder what it did when i drive by.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2011 at 10:18pm
Peter,
During all my searching for the acetylene generator, I ran across plenty of literature for home lighting systems. Same principle of dripping water onto calcium carbide. I'd have to say it was a alternate to living in a lager city that was piped for coal gas or later, natural gas for lighting. The advantage to the acetylene is it burns with a very white light. The disadvantage is the carbide waste is a mess to clean up. I never did actually run across a generator. I have a feeling they all went to the scrap dealer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2011 at 10:14am
the bulb and 12 volts isnt sounding that bad
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 7:17pm
I'm off to my next project to fill in some gaps I have with wood working equipment. Still keeping to my form and preferring Delta equipment and especially vintage like my lathe, I picked this up off ebay.

I should have taken a before dis-assembly picture but assembled, it was laying down in the back end of the Suburban. I actually had to break it down into pieces to get it out since my engine hoist is still up north. It's heavy!!!! It set the tail end of my 3/4 ton down into the overload helper springs!! It's a 1951 Delta 22-101 13x5 planer. It's seen very little use and the problematic brass worm gear shows no wear. I've already talked to our lube supplier at work to give the brass worm/spur gearing some help with some latest and greatest lubricant.

I got a big kick out of the old 3 HP motor. Take a look at the size of it!!

It's a old NEMA 225 frame! We have a couple old small stamping presses down at the plant that have these old motor frame sizes but just like this old planer, they are well over 50 years old!! I should have laid a tape measure down next to the motor to provide some perspective, but the thing is close to 12" in diameter!! I do need to get a new single phase motor so I can take the old one into the scrapper. Plenty of copper in that old 225 frame!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 7:46pm
Here's a picture of one of OWWM.com members 22-101's:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2011 at 9:59am
Pete, i was starting the hunting and gathering process for a pig roaster, gear motor, steel, all the stuff...long and behold up on the hill behind my shop a guy due to the recession had to dump his trailer mount roaster, it needed some polishing and i handled that saturday...i looked up this particular one up on line and they are fetching 3500.00.
I'll get some pics up here soon
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2011 at 7:47pm
Pete - I was in a Sales Dog and pony presentation a couple of days ago for work.... Honeywell is making a "HVAC" specific VFD drive for single phase to 3 phase conversion.   Might be worth looking into if you wanted to preserve the old motor. Certainly some of the HVAC specific stuff would not apply, but having 3 phase with a standard 110/220 plug might be interesting.
uk 1979 part2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2011 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Here's a picture of one of OWWM.com members 22-101's:

Nice find Pete, will go well in your mill....I think I'm going the other way to you with my latest EBay find

I like the Van Norman machines great USA engineering   

lets have a go 2
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2011 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

Pete - I was in a Sales Dog and pony presentation a couple of days ago for work.... Honeywell is making a "HVAC" specific VFD drive for single phase to 3 phase conversion.   Might be worth looking into if you wanted to preserve the old motor. Certainly some of the HVAC specific stuff would not apply, but having 3 phase with a standard 110/220 plug might be interesting.

Kris,
I've been very familiar with VFD's since there development. My first application was back in the early 70's. Lot's has happened since those big huge drives!!! I've done many VFD conversions on big presses at the plant. If you go back into this thread about my lathe restoration, you'll find I intentionally used a 3 phase motor driven by a inverter off single phase power but that was to get the variable speed and not rely on a 4 step V belt sheave set up. (BTW, it works fantastic!!!) This planer project is not the same and especially due to the old 225 frame, I would never consider using an inverter on it. VFD's produce some weird high frequency's into the motors that blow the insulation between the windings - Hence, the "inverter duty" motor.

I found a single phase motor on ebay this morning and purchased it. New and the price was less than half of what my power transmission distributor quoted.

BTW, if you do shop for motors, especially on ebay, you need to pay real close attention to the FLA (full load amps). It's a true indicator of the HP and not the BS sellers word. This holds true with the current BS on the junk air compressors you are now finding on line or at one of the home improvement stores. They are labeling Peak HP's at full locked rotor amps!!!!!! You want to look at running amps. The true amps are listed by NEMA in any reference.

Thanks for your concern!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 5:34pm
I do remember you putting a drive on your lathe, I thought it was a great Idea!   COuldn't remember if it was single phase or three phase though.   Looks like a cool project, and a great help around the shop.    True, we do spec inverter duty motors with all VFD's around here... momentary lapse in memory I haven't done much motor shopping lately, but will keep the FLA in mind!   Glad you found a replacement so inexpensively!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2011 at 12:09pm
Roger,
I missed your post since it was to close in time to my last post!!

Well you do have a couple of engines to bore so, I can appreciate your direction. Pretty soon you'll have more equipment to work on metal than wood!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk 1979 part2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2011 at 6:03pm

Pretty soon you'll have more equipment to work on metal than wood!!

Don't worry Pete all this metal work kit not affecting us here
lets have a go 2
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2011 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by uk 1979 part2 uk 1979 part2 wrote:

Roger, Who are your clients for something like that? Where is it going?
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2011 at 9:03pm
My guess is Sherlock Holmes
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2011 at 6:55am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Originally posted by uk 1979 part2 uk 1979 part2 wrote:

Roger, Who are your clients for something like that? Where is it going?

Alan, its part of a board/meeting room we are doing for a large company over here,the other parts are good but keeping my powder dry on them,we had to make a 1/3 scale to prove it works first.
What you see will be sprayed in steel then rusted,the doors along the bottom are touch drawers,its all made out of Mdf there are a few more bits to go on then into the spray shop.
The unit brakes down into 2 main parts with separate shelves will post when its done and all the lighting is fitted.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2011 at 9:59am
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

,its all made out of Mdf

I didn't know you could weld MDF!

Fantastic work Roger, make sure you post completed pictures
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2011 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

,its all made out of Mdf

I didn't know you could weld MDF!

Fantastic work Roger, make sure you post completed pictures

Thanks Alan will post when finish, been playing with epoxy again will post my findings soon in my SN thread.

Cheers Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2011 at 9:42pm
Well, I've got this 1951 Delta planer totally torn down and all the parts hung on bailing wire and primed. Last evening I was cleaning up some nuts/bolts/etc and the very top cast iron "chip breaker came down. The bailing wire failed and when it hit the floor 3 corners broke off the casting. Not wanting to start throwing the heat into a non replaceable casting by brazing, out came the JB weld!!! Time will tell if it holds. My chances are good because the broken pieces are not high stress areas and not even machined surfaces. Still, it's really "heart breaking"!!

EDIT:
Roger,
If the epoxy doesn't work, maybe I can replace it with some MDF with a metallic coating!!??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2011 at 12:55am
Pete, congrats on the progress but sorry to hear about the "incident". Bad things should not happen to good people . Based on your history of workmanship I am sure we would have never caught it even in a close up. I am pretty impressed with JB weld, but I won't tell you why.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2011 at 10:46pm
Well, it's coming along but slow!! Any restoration actually takes more time than the original build!!

This shot may show an orange tint on the table/bed but it's only the lighting and not rust. I actually took the table/bed down to the plant and stuck it on the water grinder in the tool room. I had to remove about .020" to get the big gouges out of the table - someone ran some timber through it with some heavy spikes in the lumber
and really messed up the Bed/table!!! At least when I got it, it had a new set of blades in it!!

I tried my best to create some castor brackets that would look appropriate. Keeping the original height within 5/8" of the floor and using only the existing holes (yes, original!! ) I rolled the vertical pieces to match the radius of the cast feet. As mentioned, due to limited space in my shop, I need the ability to roll unused equipment off to a corner/wall.

I've had no luck finding the heater (overload) for the 60 year old Cutler Hammer motor starter so I ended up jumpering it out. This was needed due to the addition of the new single phase motor. I'll put the clip on on it and keep an eye on the FLA. I don't what to put a modern starter in it since you'll notice the original is built into the frame with a cast iron cover matching the start/stop buttons!

And then, One last one for RIO - I even polished the knob!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2011 at 4:33am

- I even polished the knob!!!

For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 9>
  Share Topic