NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

off topic winter projects

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 9>
Author
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'm off to the next project although it's not really "off topic winter" anymore! Now that I have the 1951 planer and jointer finished, I went looking for an old Delta shaper. I picked it up this morning from the same person I got the planer and jointer. He had offered it to me when I picked up the jointer but I didn't have the cash at the time. It's a 1959 HD 1.5 HP 3 phase so I'll have to add a VFD (variable frequency drive) for my single phase service. But, with a VFD, it gives you the ability to adjust the RPMS!!!

I've already cleaned up the top. I got all the rust off but under it I found again that they used the flat surface as an anvil plus, there are grind marks that they may have even used it as a welding table No respect for a decent piece of "old school equipment!! I don't feel I'll go to the extend of a table regrind on this one. The good old belt sander with the resin bonded 36 grit did a pretty nice job.

Getting all 3 pieces of old Delta woodworking equipment from the same person just happened to take me in a route within 2 blocks of Chris's (CQ) house. All 3 trips I stopped by and said hello as well as take a look at his and Kevin's (HW) Martinique. This morning, I rang the door bell at 10:30 in the morning and Chris answers it in a jammy's!!       (BTW also,I left before he had the had the chance to whack my pee pee )

Nice find Pete...what cutters can you run ? just router type or can you swap shafts to run blocks like we would call a spindle moulder here.
Its great to see this old "arn" with moden electrics gives them a new life running better than new.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Rev Bob Rev Bob wrote:

Amazing Roger!

Nice work mate! At first glance I thought the big item was a
steam powered Juke box!

Thanks Rev Bob you may like this too Table
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Rev Bob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rev Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

Originally posted by Rev Bob Rev Bob wrote:

Amazing Roger!

Nice work mate! At first glance I thought the big item was a
steam powered Juke box!

Thanks Rev Bob you may like this too Table

Roger,

Oh my, that's brilliant! The design has a certain Jules Verne quality about it, wow.
Cheers,
Rev Bob

"if it's gonna happen, it'll happen out there!"
~~~
My Dad always said; "Everything on your boat is either broken or about to be....and you just don't know about it yet".
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 11:05pm
Roger,
Sorry I missed your question. Yes, the shaper is the same as you would call a spindle molder. It can handle up to a 1" spindle for the shaper cutters. I have a 1/2" and the 3/4". Most cutters including large 5" diameter panel raising cutters are available in 3/4" bore so I'm covered. Running a 5" diameter is where the VFD will come in real handy with dialing the RPM down.

It's a 1.5 HP so it's not going to handle production speeds like a 3HP with a fast power feeder. I still plan on getting a power feeder.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 11:23pm
The shaper has been torn down to pieces, cleaned and primed. Ready for finish paint tomorrow morning. I pressed on new motor bearings and the spindle has been sent out for new bearings. I was going to try replacing them but everyone on OWWM said to send it out to the guy that does it all the time. Evidently Delta preloaded their spindle bearings by about .0005". For $75 (including bearings) it's worth sending out.

I won the missing fence casting off ebay Thursday!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2012 at 10:14am
Pete, I hope you'll be able to concentrate on your workpiece at the same time you're worrying about scratching your tools!   

Really, I'm envious. I had to do this crazy left-legged dance last winter in my little shop trying to balance wood and steel.   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 8:57am
Pete, Keep your eye out for a good set of quick change cutters & block there are many makes that have a pre set locating dowels you clip the cutters in
then clamp up, the cutters come in sets with most moulds you would use.

Most are 30mm or 1"1/4 bore so you may need your shop to turn up some top hat shape bushes to take it down to 1" if they do 1" you may find there more $$
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 9:36am
Roger,
Thanks for the heads up. I have looked at the heads that have interchangable blades. I'll see if I can get one for the right price since tooling is a major expence - More than what I'm putting into the cost of the shaper and it's restoration!

Well, the paint went well yesterday morning but I have to shoot the cast iron with one more finish coat. The little peaks on the CI sometimes don't cover with the paint even with a primer coat.

The inside of the 20" x 20" cabinet base was also a PITA. No way to get some decent lighting down there and getting the gun inside it was the other problem. I missed some spots! So, if you ever come over here and visit my shop, I don't want you openimg up the dust door to inspect the inside paint job!!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 11:03am

Roger,
Thanks for the heads up. I have looked at the heads that have interchangable blades. I'll see if I can get one for the right price since tooling is a major expence - More than what I'm putting into the cost of the shaper and it's restoration!

Well, the paint went well yesterday morning but I have to shoot the cast iron with one more finish coat. The little peaks on the CI sometimes don't cover with the paint even with a primer coat.

The inside of the 20" x 20" cabinet base was also a PITA. No way to get some decent lighting down there and getting the gun inside it was the other problem. I missed some spots! So, if you ever come over here and visit my shop, I don't want you openimg up the dust door to inspect the inside paint job!!!!!

Nice machine Pete. I sold the modern version of it last year with the power feed for $900. It was the 3hp. I still have most of the cutters and do have the spindle head for inserts. I also have a sled for safely coping the ends of stock for frames. What will you be doing with this machine? Be careful it's dangerous
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 11:47am
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

Be careful it's dangerous

Aren't all pieces of woodworking equipment! I've been around and used them all throuh my life but thanks for the warning.

Yes, swinging a 5" diameter panel raising cutter can be intimidating!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 12:05pm

Be careful it's dangerous

Aren't all pieces of woodworking equipment! I've been around and used them all throuh my life but thanks for the warning.

Yes, swinging a 5" diameter panel raising cutter can be intimidating!

I had inserts made for crown moulding and I had to send them back to remove some stock off the length. When I fired it up I had to duck below the machine. Thought I was back in Nam and the helicopters were coming. Don't think you'll be spinning these large cutters with the 1 1/2 HP though.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 1:06pm

Don't think you'll be spinning these large cutters with the 1 1/2 HP though.

What are you basing this on?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2012 at 12:03pm
The shaper is done and all that's needed is getting the spindle back from getting the bearings replaced. The original manual motor starter is wired into the start on the VFD and the original forward reverse switch is wired into the forward reverse of the VFD.

Now onto the big costs - cutters!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2012 at 2:27am

The original manual motor starter is wired into the start on the VFD and the original forward reverse switch is wired into the forward reverse of the VFD.

I bet it even gets AM!

Nice Pete.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2012 at 10:45am
Greg,
Thanks. I know it's going to get plenty of usage. I have lots of V tongue and grooved 3/4" Aspen paneling that I plan on recycling though the planer and shaper.

The VFD (variable frequency drive) I used is my fourth (plenty at the plant) that I've installed. They really perform well on equipment where you need more speed adjustment such as the lathe and shaper. The beauty of the VFD is they produce a constant motor torque below the nominal 60 HZ of the motor.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2012 at 11:16am

Don't think you'll be spinning these large cutters with the 1 1/2 HP though.

What are you basing this on?

Pete, I feel you need both speed and power to machine large profiles in wood without burning or stalling. With multiple cuts you may use some medium size cutters but for the large crown moulders and such I found that even my 3hp Delta was lacking at times. Needed many passes. Anything is possible. I did enjoy my shaper which I bought new and used many years. When I downsized and figured I wouldn't be doing cabinet work as much any more this was one of the few machines I thought I could live without. Large routers mounted in the saw table and used in junction with the fence can take the place in many situations. Your machine looks beautiful.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2012 at 10:33pm
Jack,
Thanks for the input on the shaper cutters. It's been a few years since I've put lots of time in on one. Most was when I worked at a custom cabinet shop supplementing my college education. Before that it was learning the basics in high school wood shop. I know there is more to it than just RPM. Wood type, number of wings on the cutter, climb cutting and feed rates all come to play. However, I do remember slowing down the big diameter panel raising cutters.

Here's some interesting info:
"The proper spindle speed and feed rate will vary depending on the size of the cutter you are using, the type of wood you are cutting, and if you are hand feeding or power feeding.

The preferred method of determining the most efficient spindle speed and feed rate is to determine the number of knife cuts per inch you need, and set your RPM and feed rate off of that. A good starting point for knife cuts per inch is 17-19. To figure your cuts per inch, take your spindle RPM and divide by your feed rate in inches per minute. If you are running at 7000 RPM, and feeding at 25 feet per minute (300 inches), your knife cuts per inch would be 23 (7000/300). This may, or may not be too many cuts per inch. Take a look at the quality of the cut, and adjust accordingly. Remember, as cuts per inch increase, you run the risk of burning the wood and decreasing your cutter life."

I will not be using large diameter cutters anyway - the largest it will swing is about 4". Most all cutters are showing diameters in the 3.5" range.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2012 at 10:50pm
It is so true Pete, need to have a feel for the whole process and raw material. Is the wood wet or dry, hard or soft. Straight grained or curly and so on. I have a feeling you are patient and cautious. That's all it takes and common sense. Small cuts starting out. I'd maybe do tongue and groove on the router. Have the shaper cutters for that by the way. You might be just the right guy to buy my small collection. I will treat you right.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 9:28pm
I'm ready as soon as some cutters come in. Today I got the spindle back from the Pro! There is a preload on them that I didn't want to mess with. For $45 including bearings, it just wasn't worth it.

Some better pictures:

The VFD:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 5:17pm
Nice job on the Spindle Pete, keep a eye out for a ring fence to go on it.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 6:18pm
Roger,
Thanks. I have been looking at a ring gaurd that's on ebay now. I've also been looking at stock feeders - I lost the Delta that ended past my bed time last evening!! I bid on it but it wasn't high enough.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2012 at 8:09pm
We are certainly into the boating season here in the upper Midwest but I'm still at the "off topic winter projects"!

I need to get the launch outside my shop and do some hull degreasing. I'm going to try some d-Limonene along with some gentile pressure washing and see what happens. First, I needed to build a cradle for it. It will get bolted off to the old 1950's trailer I have. It sure isn't road worthy but will get the hull out of the shop.

$20.00 worth of construction lumber and some reinforcement it the corners it will work.

I've also been working on the rudder.

They didn't use a true rudder port with a packing gland back then. It was simply a stand pipe that extended above the water line. It's the length of 3/4" galvanized pipe on the rudder post.

The tiller arm sure came out of the blacksmith shop.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 5:33am
Hey Pete, I drove by this in a small town parking lot today. No one there to ask about it. I thought it was cool. I should have snapped a pic from the front. It has a very narrow beam. Any idea what it was originally used for?

For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 8:42am
Dave,
It's hard to say the use except guessing that it was just basic tug service.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 8:42pm
Getting up there, my stamina sure isn't what it used to be so, I just took a little extra step with all the woodworking equipment I've been restoring. Yup, the lazy guy "push stick".

I set up the stock feeder to both run on my table saw and shaper. It will get used since I have that couple thousand BF of V grove paneling to clean up/repurpose.

The feeder it self I got from a private seller off Ebay. The base was off Ebay as well but it came from CPO outlets. It was a "recon" unit I got pretty cheap.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 9:13pm
Very Nice Pete, nothing lazy about a stock feeder. A bit safer with better end results = smart move.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2012 at 11:36am
Feels like winter, time to bump this thread. Anyone working on anything or planning to work on something.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 12:07pm
Ok Ill start. So I decided since no boat to refurbish this winter I would build a guitar. It is based off of a 1957 stratocaster relic. Going to be 2 tone sunburst. Starting with formed and routed wood (so most of the really tricky work is done). I will mostly be finishing and constructing. So far I have almost all the pieces I need. The frets have been put on the neck and I started spraying lacquer yesterday.
Body Blank

Unfinished neck

2 coats of tinted nitrocellulose lacquer
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 12:15pm
You should go visit Brad.
Tubing Sucks.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by watrski watrski wrote:

You should go visit Brad.

Ya I know, he did some custom pickups for me, they are in the mail.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic