Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

gt-40 head?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gt-40 head?
    Posted: February-13-2011 at 11:58am
hello everyone,i was wondering what modifications need to be done when using automotive gt-40 or gt-40p heads on a marine 351 besides changing to brass freeze plugs.thanks for all replies
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 12:15pm
Other than drilling the the heads for the larger head bolts used on a 351,you have it covered.If your going to change them and don't have any yet,I'd go with the P's.Be careful buying used,you can get alot of money tied up in them and still have stock heads.Here and here are a couple of placed members have used in the past.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 1:51pm
As Gary mentioned, you'll need to have the bolt holes drilled out to 1/2 inch for the larger bolts used on your 351. After you swap the heads, it is also a good idea to replace the bolts with a new set of ARP bolts rather than reusing your old ones.
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

here are a couple of placed members have used in the past.

Tim set me onto the link above. I bought from them a little over a week ago. Call and ask for John and he will get you hooked up with a good set.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 2:56pm
the only thing i can think of also, not being the big Ford guy is, i did have a couple of pairs of truly marinized GT heads, both intake and exhaust valves were stainless...obviously put in the heads for higher heat ranges???? but, do automotive GT's get the stainless? I dont know
"the things you own will start to own you"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 5:24pm
If you get them from Tri State they have stainless valves Eric,because they cut them for larger intakes and exhaust anyway.I have a set of stock used gt40p's that have regular valves in them,don't know if they all come that way from Ford tho.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 10:34pm
not to hijack.... but what would be the HP gain from just the heads would you feel a difference ? top end speed increase ?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by malibud malibud wrote:

not to hijack.... but what would be the HP gain from just the heads would you feel a difference ? top end speed increase ?

around 40 hp...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 11:20pm
Dan keep in mind your experience may differ,but I had no top end difference at all.However it does seem to have more mid range torque.I have a 302 and a good cam but am using a 450 cfm carb.My next step is to put on a 650 and see what that does.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 12:37am
as always thanks for the quick responses.thanks for the links gary.tristate is a economical alternative to skidim.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 11:51am

Dan keep in mind your experience may differ,but I had no top end difference at all.However it does seem to have more mid range torque.I have a 302 and a good cam but am using a 450 cfm carb.My next step is to put on a 650 and see what that does.

Gary, I still think your engine combo has issues... though Im not sure what they could be, exactly. Maybe a less than optimum cam?

My sister swapped a set of P heads on her Mustang last summer, added an RPM intake and a Speedpro cam from Reid. Still running the small outlet (2-3/8") Interceptor logs, but the rest of the exhaust was upgraded to 3"... With some soaked foam and a slipping transmission, the boat still managed to hit 49.5 on the gps. Im certain that number will be improved upon this year with a fresh trans. We did slap a 600cfm Holley onto it though- so maybe youre heading in the right direction with that swap.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:14pm
That speed Tim is just with me on board so I don't really know how much of a difference that makes.No foam,3" exhaust,Holley Contender manifold and that 450 carb.I miss spoke I have a 600 I need to rebuild that another member kindly gave me(thanks Andrew).I'll mess with it this spring,right now I don't want to change anything before the big trip.Here is the cam card,the firing order is wrong,I wonder now if anything else is too! What do you think of the specs?

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 11:48am

That speed Tim is just with me on board so I don't really know how much of a difference that makes.No foam,3" exhaust,Holley Contender manifold and that 450 carb.I miss spoke I have a 600 I need to rebuild that another member kindly gave me(thanks Andrew).I'll mess with it this spring,right now I don't want to change anything before the big trip.Here is the cam card,the firing order is wrong,I wonder now if anything else is too! What do you think of the specs?

I cant comment on the valve timing (it would need to be plugged into some dyno software) but the lift looks pretty healthy. Maybe someone could run the program for you and see what type of hp you should be expecting. I do think that the 600cfm carb is the way to go on a warmed up 302 though- so if I were you, Id be inclined to rebuild it and bring it with me to FL to try on the water! Sage had none of the too-large-carb symptoms with the 600cfm Holley on her 289/302... great idle, off idle and all around performance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic