Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which model is my 1965 Correct Craft?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
JamesGang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which model is my 1965 Correct Craft?
    Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:34pm
Hello fellow Correct Craft enthusiasts-
I am a Correct Craft newbie, but trying to educate myself as quickly as possible. I recently purchased a 16' Correct Craft from its original owner! He states it's a ski nautique but how do I know for sure? It has the Ford 289 Intercepter engine. Also, the plexiglass windshield is complete but showing it's age. It's a one piece with aluminum frame. Does Taylor Made still make these for this boat? Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'll put some pics up here soon. Thanks!

J.James
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:39pm
Welocme to the site. Your boat is likely a Mustang. Post some pics and we'll know for sure. Taylor does not make that same windshield any longer.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:41pm
Pictures we love Pictures. Welcome to the site. Is the serial tag still on the stringer or do you know what it is? The first letters will tell you what model it is.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:45pm
Unless you haven't double checked the length and the seller is wrong, it's not a Ski Nautique. They were I believe 17' 6"

Tahoe's were also 16'. Yes, we need pictures!!

Welcome to CCfan.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Pictures we love Pictures.

I wear a size 13 shoe and they have white laces. What kind of shoe am I wearing?

Just giving you a hard time. Get some pictures posted (Hit 'post reply and post the link to your image in the little icon with the tree or click on the icon with the tree and the arrow and upload it)

If it's got the depressed bow then it's a Ski Nautique.

Mustang

Ski Nautique (notice the bow difference)

Barracuda

American Skier

Classic

Sportsman

Tournament Skier
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 11:08pm
If it is a 65, it probably has a 260 instead of a 289. How far apart are the top bolts on the bell housing?
Tim D
ky82sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ky82sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 1:00am
james gang
Welcome to the site. be sure when posting pics to resize them to email status. most pics will not download on this site until you downsize them. i use avs4you.com to downsize my photos.
jerry
1982 ski nautique
1966 Al Tyll Skier
JamesGang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 1:15am
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the quick replies. I'm pretty excited about this boat and I'm sure I'm going to ask a lot of questions in the weeks and months to come so I just want to say thanks in advance. Judging from the pics one of you posted, I believe I have an American Skier. Perhaps. I have pics on my phone but got to get them on here so you all can see soon. Engine has 210 hp on it...original owner said it was 289 interceptor. We'll see as I get into it more...infancy stages of what I hope will be an exciting restoration. I contacted Taylor Made and they emailed me windshield sizes and images that look similar to mine...I'll have to research more. What do you do if they don't make my style anymore? Thanks again everyone...please check back as I update this.
J.James
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 1:32am
JamesGang , welcome to the site.My wife has a 1964 American Skier, it came w/260 CI Hollman Moody.Cool boat, we love pics. If you look at my profile there is a link to her boat at the bottom.
This may help in the id of your model and year........Boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 9:07am
James?,
The Taylor windshields they still make are not the same that came on your boat, They are the smaller and cheaper version. We've had a couple members put them on and they look out of place and non original. If your present plexi isn't crached, platic polish can do wonders and bring it back to original. Try the polish first. If it doesn't, then don't waste you money on a new one. You'll just need to keep searching for a old one in better shape. They do come up for sale on places like ebay.

Fill in your profile with at least your first name. You'll find most here use first names rather than screen names.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 10:34am
I think Sanity has one of those windshields for sale. Look in the for sale section.
JamesGang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2011 at 5:56pm
Here are few photos that may help identify her...These photos were taken the day I purchased the boat from the original owner. He swears it's a ski nautique...true? She's a lot cleaner now that she's in my care fyi :) Thanks guys.

J.James
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2011 at 9:08pm
That windshield will clean up pretty good I bet. I have mine completely apart right now and am polishing all the pieces. I tried the plastic polish with some success but found that a buffer worked a lot better. There is a company selling plastic windshields right now. They say they can make one for any model boat.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2011 at 9:09pm
Very cool boat by the way! Cant wait to see some pics of her cleaned up.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2011 at 9:12pm
That looks like a Tahoe. Post more pics. That's an interesting boat!
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2011 at 9:13pm
Bow doesn't look long enough for a SN.
Tim D
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2011 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

That looks like a Tahoe. Post more pics. That's an interesting boat!

Good eye Bruce. I bet you are right. Very cool boat and a real rare one. I was looking at the 65 brochure. Good year. A lot of collectibles, unfortunately I doubt there are very many left. Anxious to see this one cleaned up.
JamesGang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2011 at 11:28pm
more pics...so what do you guys think? Engine is 289 interceptor. Trailer is original. Still cleaning her up...
J.James
ky82sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ky82sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2011 at 11:42pm
absolutely awesome!!! I would love to work on cleaning up that old boat
1982 ski nautique
1966 Al Tyll Skier
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2011 at 11:43pm
It's painted or has gel like a Tahoe. The Tahoes, American Skiers and Mustangs used the same hulls and decks. The mustang was the later version of the 3. The gauges in the dash resemble an American Skier. I'd say it's either an American Skier or a Tahoe. If you lift the engine box there may be an aluminum tag on the stringer with the serial number. It would give a good indication of what it is.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2011 at 11:53pm
The 65 brochure shows a Tahoe with the helm on the port side,I wonder if this is an American Skier.I guess we won't know until he finds the serial number.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 12:06am
I tend to think it's an American Skier that's been painted. But, even though the Tahoe shows a left hand drive in the brochure, doesn't mean they didn't make them right hand drives with RH engines like an Interceptor. There was a LH drive Classic with a Buick engine at the NE Reunion a few years ago. I love a dirty, pretty original boat like that, whatever it is.
JamesGang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 12:23am
I will get the serial # info posted in a few days so stay tuned. I appreciate the comments fellas. Keep 'em coming. Thanks.
J.James
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 12:25am
You have the much sought after windshield wings. Kind of like old trucks used to have. The little wing window for ventilation. The glass is broken but the hardware is the gem. A classic ride for sure!

1973 Skier
JamesGang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 12:33am
Is there a way to restore/replace the wing glass? Didn't even know that so thanks. I'm learning fast...
J.James
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 12:41am
Marty Mabe has the scoop on that. I think you can have new glass cut for it but not sure what all it entails. He has hooked a few people up with the hardware and I am pretty sure he has a line on the glass.

1973 Skier
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 12:44am
super long shot, but I wonder if there is a model badge under that aftermarket cushion on the dash.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 1:18am
Now thats a Barn Find! I am sure its not a Ski Nautique. I also question the vinyl dash overlay? Does it have bucket seats? Any pics of them?

As for the wind wings, I have patterns from one of my sets. They are not glass. You can cut them from plexi / lexan, etc. Hard part is finding the missing "U" clips that the wing pivots on..

I Likey!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 8:47am
Originally posted by JamesGang JamesGang wrote:

These photos were taken the day I purchased the boat from the original owner. He swears it's a ski nautique...true?

Tell the seller about CCfan. We'll do some explaining as he needs some "60's 101" education! He must be smoking something! The deck's not even close to a SN.

Gen 1 SN deck:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 11:05am
Great Find James! ......Man; some guys get all the luck.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic