Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Windshield Frame Repaint

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Dieseldawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dieseldawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windshield Frame Repaint
    Posted: March-13-2011 at 12:31pm
I currently own a 02' 196 LE. I am getting close to bringing the boat home from storage so I can get her ready for summer. My windshield frame is black but some of the paint has worn off. I have searched the forums and read that some people have removed the entire windshield assembly, stripped and then powder-coted the frame. I was wondering if this is the best method or does someone have experience with another technique? My concern is the durability of the powder-coating or paint that is applied to the frame. I would hate to spend all the time and money of removal and powder-coating, just to have it wear off in a year or two. Would I be better off with a powder-coating or just masking and repainting myself?

Thanks for all of the wonderful information that is shared on this site!

dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2011 at 11:47pm
My powder coated windshield is doing fine. Going on my third summer.
83Ski
wakemeup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakemeup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 2:34am
I have the same problem on my 99 Air. What did you decide to do?
Wakemeup

1988 Ski Nautique

1999 Air Nautique
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 2:00pm
On the older boats (mine is an 86) and the aluminum is bronze from the aluminum factory. they make an aluminum spray can touch up that is the exact bronze they may make a black. Any aluminum Guy can get some. Practice before you paint with it it does tend to run if you get to close.   
Lakedog55
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 2:12pm
Some of you probably are not going to want to hear this but on the 92 We re-furbed last year I took the complete windscreen assy apart and stripped all the old powder coating off down to bare aluminum and utilized a product from rustolum with a hammered finnish from Homer Depo, it came out great (IMHO) the fella that bought the boat tells me it is holding up fine and looks great.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 7:36pm
I just removed and disassembled my windshield and re-painted myself with a can of Rustoleum primer and followed with Rustoleum semi-gloss paint. Less than $15 and it looks pretty good. Definitely better than before. How it holds up....well we'll have to see, but for $15 it was worth a shot. Rattle can spraying is what some on here would call half A$$ shade tree or hobbyist but it worked for me.

Re-assembly of the windshield frame was a little trying to figure out, but wasn't so difficult that I'd discourage anyone from trying it.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Dieseldawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dieseldawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 11:50pm
Thanks for the replies! I think I will pull the entire windshield assembly and disassemble it. I also think I will try the spray can (shadetree) method first.

How long did the windshield assembly removal take? Should I be able to do everything in one day or will it take more? The reason I am asking is because it has been raining just about every day here in Georgia. I don't want to take a chance on the interior of my boat getting soaked because the cover is not supported by the windshield frame. I plan on finally getting my boat out of storage if the weather holds for this weekend. I plan on taking pictures of my progress and I will post them if anybody would like to see them?

Matt
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 9:04am
windshield removal for my boat was 20 mins or less
windshield disassembly was 20 mins
i did a couple of coats of primer and about 3 coats of paint over the course of about a week. I wasn't in a hurry to get it back together
windshield reassembly took me a few hours b/c I had never done it. many frame pieces on my windshield and each would only go back together one way so figuring out what went where and then working to get the glass and gaskets lined up took some time to get the hang of.
Your windshield looks very different, but that might make it easier to do.
I haven't reinstalled my windshield, but I think I can do it in 20 mins or so. Good luck
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
MMT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Some of you probably are not going to want to hear this but on the 92 We re-furbed last year I took the complete windscreen assy apart and stripped all the old powder coating off down to bare aluminum and utilized a product from rustolum with a hammered finnish from Homer Depo, it came out great (IMHO) the fella that bought the boat tells me it is holding up fine and looks great.

That hammertone paint is great and very tough. I have used it alot in tools with great results. Curious to hear how the windshield holds up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic