NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

98 Sport in Oz

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 98 Sport in Oz
    Posted: March-27-2011 at 11:32am
Thought I better put a post up on my new import. Finally managed to get the trailer converted to Australian standards and registered. The local authorities are making this very hard now. I had to remove the boat from the trailer and obtain a certified weighbridge ticket as part of the registration process. I was also required to fit a compliance plate stating that the trailer had been modified to meet Australian Standards. It has taken over two weeks to get this done the local authority was not even sure what was required but they made me jump through a lot of extra hoops.

The last import was much simpler. I had to rebuild the trailer totally as it was almost rusted out. I was able to call it a homemade trailer, but you now have to produce receipts for every part of the trailer used in the build. It appears that trailers were being stolen and re-birthed as homemade trailers. Boaters were getting back to the ramp finding their trailers had disappeared while they were out on the boat. Now that would be inconvenient.

The boat ran faultlessly on it's maiden voyage. The GT40 engine is a gem. The OJ 4 blade prop seems to be a bit undersized though 40mph was 4400rpm. The storage and room in this boat is amazing compared to my 89. The ski locker is huge had 4 ski's in there no problem. The rear locker has a huge amount of room.

It still needs a big tidy up some skins need replacing and a some wet sanding to remove fine scratches. The tower is not my favorite item on this boat but it is original . Not sure if I will add racks and a tower bimini or remove the tower and fit a high pole.

Did not get any pictures on the water only had the video camera. Will post some decent pictures next trip out. Only have the pics of removing the boat from trailer two engine cranes made this much easier.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2011 at 1:54pm
Glad that boat is working out for you Louie. I had my doubts when we discussed the boat in the fall.

My neighbor has the Acme prop on his 98 and it runs well.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2011 at 10:11pm
Brian thanks for all your input when I was looking into this boat. It has actually cleaned up nicely. Still needs some work to bring it back to showroom condition but I did buy it as somewhat of a project boat. The price was almost to good to be true for a 98 Sport so I know you thought it may have been beat up pretty bad.

I will pull the 422 off my 89 and give it a try on the Sport. Is this the prop your neighbour has on his boat? I also have a 3 blade 470 that I may try but I think it will run higher rpms than the OJ given the experience on the 89 SN2001.

89 Ski

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2011 at 11:10pm
Neighbor's is a 4 blade Lewy. Not sure what model, and I am positive he won't know. Can't really pull the nut off to look as it is out on a lift. If the boat is where I can look before you get a new one, I will certainly check it out.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 8:59am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 9:55am
I removed the props this afternoon the Sports prop was on that shaft good. The standard g clamp puller had no chance. The prop on the 98 Sport was a OJ Legend 13" X 16". The Acme 422 is a 12.5" X 15.5" so it appears that it would turn higher rpm than the original OJ.
When I compare the 2 props side by side the Acme actually looks larger in diameter than the OJ. I remember once Tim Benj. stating that Acme were conservative on their prop diameter sizing.

I have fitted the Acme 422 anyway and a test will prove if it is better or worse than the original. I just thought 40mph at 4400rpm was high. But maybe the prop is sized to suit the extra rpms available from the GT40 over the standard 240HP engine.

I quick rough copy of Pete's prop puller.

89 Ski

Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 10:15am
Looks great Mark.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 12:50pm
Mark;

Congratulations. Boat looks great. Is a tower boom the next purchase??? I just picked up a fly high, so I'll let you know how that works.

That 422 should do at least 4 mph better. My old 422 was giving me about 46 to 48 at around 4600 RPM's before it got dinged. In a pinch in order to get the boat to GL, I bought another 422 (I wish I would have went another direction, but the time pressure didn't allow me to think it through) but the new 422 seems to be a good 2 to 4 mph slower. Did not get a chance to put the old (now reworked) back on to do a comparative analysis. Anyway, with the 422 you should see at least 44 MPH with around 4500 RPM's. Your boat should be practically identical to mine.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 1:11pm
Really like the looks and practicality of these 98-99 sports. Looks to be a great all around boat. Lewy, since you'll be going straight from a 2001 hull to this sport hull, let me know how nice is the slalom wake is. I know it's not up to par with the new 200 or even the TSC1/2/3 196's, but I'm really only concerned with how it stacks up against the 2001 hulls, since that's basically all I ski behind now.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 1:31am
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Is a tower boom the next purchase??? I just picked up a fly high, so I'll let you know how that works.

My old 422 was giving me about 46 to 48 at around 4600 RPM's before it got dinged. The new 422 seems to be a good 2 to 4 mph slower.

Steve,

The fate of the tower is still uncertain. The shape of the original Flite Control Tower is not that aesthetically enhancing. The arguments for keeping the tower are that it is original and if removed will have the holes and faded gelcoat to deal with. Did you purchase the complete flyhigh tower and boom with the super flyhigh extension on top?

Interesting that you say the new 422 was down on speed compared to original. I would have thought that because they are CNC'd one of the big advantages is that every prop is the same. Maybe time to put the old one back on and see if it produces the same result.

I think Mike (mdvalant) is going to put the 1442 on his 2000 Sport this season. I will be interested in the results. I know everyone likes the new 3 blade Acme's, but my experience so far with a 3 blade 470 was not as good as the 422 on the 89.

Craig,

The slalom wake is much better on the Sport than the SN2001. Smaller and much softer with out those nasty little troughs as well. Liked it at 34mph but it got better the faster you went at 38mph it is very flat.

89 Ski

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 1:50am
Mark - HA, nope just a fly high pylon (6 foot extension). But you could do the Super Fly High on top of your tower, and as long as your spending all that money you should get the tower boom that has the electric raise and lower for easy height adjustment    Kurt (Hollywood's brother - screen name: PLBC) also ditched his FCT Gen1, he had a guy fill the holes, the guy did a great job matching the gel, can't even tell.

On the original 422, no telling what might have been done to it, I am thinking that it might have had some thinning or cup work done. I had one of the certified ACME shops do the repairs, so I am guessing it is going to come back pretty close to stock (unless it was thinned). I am also waiting on Mike's reports!

Slalom at 38! I concur the wake is really flat at 38, cause that's the speed I am footing! Good lord man I must be getting old, I thought 32 on the slalom was plenty fast, maybe I need to bump it up a few     I hope your continuing to work on the footing. Still trying to convince Motorola to send me down your way, no luck so far...   
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 11:25am
The season is still hanging on. We managed to get out today nice and sunny 26C(79F) but the water is cooling down. The days are getting much shorter the day ended packing up in the dark. Water was smooth just too many holiday campers with tubes behind tinny's doing circle work .
The tower is staying for now but I am still not totally convinced. The 422 prop was almost identical in rpms with the original OJ Legend. Maybe down 100-150rpm. It may be a little smoother but not what I would call a great leap forward from the original.
Steve I made a connection for the boom on the tower. It is nice not having to move around the boom in the boat. Still in development stages but the first prototype is close.

Finally remembered to get some pictures.

89 Ski

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 1:37pm
For as many hours as were on that boat, it really cleaned up well.

I don't know if that OJ was the original prop or not. As the boat was run in Lake Tahoe, elevation 6000 feet, it is pretty common to change out props. I don't know. Just guessing.

I don't think there would be engine adjustments made for the altitude. I would assume the computer on the GT 40 would handle that? Again, a guess on my part.

You have not answered CBass' question, yet. I think that Sport is a much better ski wake than the 2001 model boats. Do you agree?

BKH
Livin' the Dream

dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 1:46pm
Mark do you have Piranha's in that lake?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 6:36pm
Mark,

I'm running the 1442 on my '95 GT-40 SN and am getting 46-48@ 5200rpm.
Prop pulls hard out of the hole also, I really like it.
Nevergrew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevergrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 8:31pm
Nice Mark !!

I know someone who'd take that 4 blader off ya

How are you finding the extra interior space with this boat? I'm sure it's way roomier than the '89. I spent a few hours out in my old Phantom yesterday with our crew and couldn't believe how small it was compared to my '89.

What material is your tower? Wouldn't be too hard to make it better looking. Have you considered scrapping it for a new one?? Indy/Fluidcore etc?

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Steve I made a connection for the boom on the tower. It is nice not having to move around the boom in the boat. Still in development stages but the first prototype is close.

That Tower boom looks really good! Nice work. Now you just need electric winch or hydralics to make it go up and down!

horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 8:55pm
I really love these era of sport nautiques and Air nautiques. These boats are what i have spent a lot of time in until I got my 78. The amount of space in them compared to my 78 martinique is simply a huge difference. I'm pretty sure the 2001 hulls had a little bit more space than my style SN hull as well.

That boat did clean up really well.

As far as the sport having a better ski wake than the 2001, by far much better than a 2001 hull is for skiing. This hull was a really nice do it all hull. A bit of ballast and they make a nice wake, and no ballast and they make a very nice ski wake. I've been behind both, but admittedly I board more than ski, but IMHO, 2001 hulls are pretty lousy for ski wakes, even with no extra weight in the boat.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2011 at 9:55am
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

I don't know if that OJ was the original prop or not. As the boat was run in Lake Tahoe, elevation 6000 feet, it is pretty common to change out props. I don't know. Just guessing.

You have not answered CBass' question, yet. I think that Sport is a much better ski wake than the 2001 model boats. Do you agree?

Brian you maybe right about the prop change as the nut loose without the split pin when it arrived. I assume that you would need a bit less prop than the OJ at altitude. I think the original OJ legend is a reasonable prop on this model Sport at lower altitudes. It has cleaned up nicely but is still needs a wet sand and buff before I would take it to a reunion.

I thought I answered Craig's question on a previous post. I will add to it anyway. You can get a reasonable slalom wake out of the 2001 hull if you have at most driver and spotter and no more than 1/2 tank of fuel. The Sport's wake is better even with a larger crew and more than a half at tank fuel. The wake is much softer even with my bad form I can cut thru the wake easily. I have not yet run it with low fuel and minimal crew. I must try this if we can get out again before the season ends.

Justin,
The big advantage of this boat is the amount of extra storage it has over the 2001 hull. The ski locker is a huge bonus getting the slalom ski's out of the way (have had 4 in there), and would easily fit a fully inflated 160 litre bag. When you add the rear locker which is enormous my 69" will fit in there, actually I can get in there myself 6'3" but not with the ski on. We have not set it up for surfing yet but that is where all this extra storage will be nice for putting most of the water bags out of the way. The dog also likes the open bow , and he sits when he is told unlike the kids who want to get up there.

My 2001(standard rear seat) has more room behind the engine hatch than the Sport. But you notice the 7" of extra beam in the Sport.

Tom (Horkn) is on the money here they are a very versatile boat. I have only had one board behind it and the wake was not as steep as the 2001 but very nice I don't think we had any extra ballast just a reasonable sized crew onboard.
I have mainly being swerving behind the Sport. Been nursing a foot injury the last couple of months and the single ski annoys it the least. I am over this getting old caper.

Steve I have to admit that I have not even had a foot attempt on the Sport's boom yet.

89 Ski

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2011 at 10:13am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I'm running the 1442 on my '95 GT-40 SN and am getting 46-48@ 5200rpm.
Prop pulls hard out of the hole also, I really like it.

Thanks for that Paul. I am waiting for Mike(mdvalant) to try the same prop on his 2000 Sport (same hull).

89 Ski

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2011 at 10:14am
Originally posted by dochockey dochockey wrote:

Mark do you have Piranha's in that lake?

No the Crocs have eaten all the Piranha's.

89 Ski

Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2011 at 7:29pm
Lewy, your Sport looks great!

What did you have to do to the trailer to bring it up to Australian standards? I'm sure you had to upgrade the tires to the croc-proof type, but what else.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2011 at 4:26pm
That sport is very pretty. Looks very familiar...

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2011 at 10:37pm
Mike, don't mind me if you see me drooling on your sport someday.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2011 at 10:58pm
That's all I've been able to do here, the water is high and freezing!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2011 at 11:29pm
Mike I like the look of your 2nd gen tower. But it would not suit my boom install as much as the old clunky one. I find the tower a bit more tolerable in looks when it has boards in the racks and the bimini setup. Looks like your Sport has the same 4 blade OJ Legend that came on my Sport (spotted it on your thread about rear decals). Looking forward to you testing that 1442. Is it warming up enough for you blokes to get on the water yet?

Justin, it is very well made but the cross section of the alloy tube is much smaller 1.67"(42mm) than most towers. That is why it has all the cross members built into it. It breaks down totally into a flat pack like setup from Ikea. I have thought of modifying its shape but I think it would work out less cost effective than replacement. If that was required I would just go with a high pole as I prefer that look even more.

Randy, it seems that our Australian authorities feel that they know more than their US counterparts. The couplings have to met Australian Standards so it has to be replaced, to what I feel is a lesser quality and design unit that is actually cast. I would guess more than likely these are made in China anyway. The lights and reflectors all need to be changed along with the wiring as we need a stop, turn and park wire to each light. Extra reflectors and side clearance lights are also required. The maximum width for a trailer on Australian roads is 2500mm 8.202'. So I had to modify the rear guide poles to meet that dimension. Luckily the axles and guards were just under that measurement. The braking requirements are much tougher in Oz any trailer with a GVM of over 2000kg (4410 lbs) must have braking on all 4 wheels so my trailer was downgraded to that GVM from the original 5700lbs.

After that making it croc and piranha proof was the easy part.

89 Ski

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2011 at 11:41pm
Hey Mark,

I too like the 2nd gen towers..and used to think the first gen was ugly til I saw yours all done up. It really does look pretty dang good with all the boards and the bimini! We have a tower bimini too in black color.

Tower boom is very cool too, I see us doing that some day...We do have that stock OJ on just like you had. We have only actually had this boat on the water for one single boat ride last fall as we just purchased it last year. From that short water test it seemed the stock prop performed pretty well...I will love to test out the other props we have though.

654 (12.5X15 4 blade)
and the 1442 (13.25X15 3 blade)

I really think the 1442 will be a good performer on it. Right now the river (Mississippi) we ski on is about 12ft higher than normal levels and 2ft above flood stage with a temp at 48 degrees. We have a corn field that we can ski in that floods but we just don't like the 48 degree water temp thing. We're not drysuit skiers so we prefer a little warmer :)

I wish our trailer had your little keel V instead of our roller. I'm not a fan of the rollers...

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 1:49am
Mark and Mike;

You will be happy or sad to learn that your boats' triplet will be joining the site here in the not to distant future. My buddy Tim made the purchase and we go to pick it up May 12!

Mike, I was down checking the flooded river out this afternoon. The gazebo by the Dubuque Ice Harbor where the Delta Queen docks, on her tours, is under water (will the floor is anyway). If I had known you had a flooded cornfield I would have brought the dry suit. Imagine that first time skiing in April and in a corn field to boot. I always love the pictures of the stairs going down into the water

Mark, sorry to hear about your foot. Hope it heals soon. I hear ya on that gettin old stuff, somebody has to come up with a way to reverse that!
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 2:36pm
Steve,

Next time your in Dubuque let me know and we'll grab lunch and talk boat stuff!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic