Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top Speed

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
barefooter799 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barefooter799 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top Speed
    Posted: March-27-2011 at 5:34pm
Hi Everyone,

I am moving to Orlando, FL and will be skiing Alot more than I use to so I would like to order a Ski Nautique 200 Closed Bow but what is everyone getting for top speeds with your 343 or 409. I am new no to this site and help would great. I will be barefooting Alot so I hope that tells you a little how fast I will need to go. (38-41mph)

Thanks,
Eric
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2011 at 6:16pm
I have no first hand experience with the 200, but the consensus *seems* to be ~43mph with the Excal and ~47mph with the 409. Jody has played with some props and said 50mph is possible with the 409 once its broken in.

I know Id opt for the 409 since I foot (that is, if I could ever afford a 200 ). I prefer a little more speed for one foots though (~44mph) so I dont think the Excal could pull that. I would *guess* that 41mph might be all you get out of the boat once you put a footer behind it.

Hopefully someone will chime in with some first hand experience... I too would love to hear exactly what the 200 is capable of.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2011 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I have no first hand experience with the 200, but the consensus *seems* to be ~43mph with the Excal and ~47mph with the 409. Jody has played with some props and said 50mph is possible with the 409 once its broken in.

I know Id opt for the 409 since I foot (that is, if I could ever afford a 200 ). I prefer a little more speed for one foots though (~44mph) so I dont think the Excal could pull that. I would *guess* that 41mph might be all you get out of the boat once you put a footer behind it.

Hopefully someone will chime in with some first hand experience... I too would love to hear exactly what the 200 is capable of.

Tim,
What kind of top end do you expect to get out of your 79BFN? also, how about top end with footer in tow?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2011 at 6:33pm
In 2009 the BFN was good for 55-56mph on any given day... I suspect its capable of pulling me way faster than I would want to go! It was good for ~43mph before the secondaries even kicked in. A 1-3mph drop with a footer in tow seems typical on the boats I ski with regularly.

We're hoping to break the 60mph mark when the boat hits the water this year.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2011 at 6:46pm
Tim....55-56 seems high, no? I thought I remembered from reading boat test data (before the internet) that a speed increase of 2mph or so was all that the 454 gave over the 351. Was yours stock in 09? Just curious. That top end is awesome.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2011 at 6:53pm
Eric

As Tim mentioned, if you are looking at doing a lot of barefooting in the future, you will eventually want a boat that will give you speeds in the 42-44 mph range. Of course that speed is dependent on your size/weight but it is a pretty accurate call for most average sized guys. The 38-41 you mention will be fine for getting you started but at some point you'll be wanting those "few more miles per hour". If you're looking at a new barefoot boat, be sure it will give you the speeds you'll eventually want.
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2011 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

Tim....55-56 seems high, no? I thought I remembered from reading boat test data (before the internet) that a speed increase of 2mph or so was all that the 454 gave over the 351. Was yours stock in 09? Just curious. That top end is awesome.

I think it was actually closer to ~5mph, as both Eric Svennson's 2001 and my uncle's Barefoot Nautique (both of which have stock PCM 330hp 454's) run in the 49-50mph range. 47-49mph seems to be the typical top end on the BFN with the stock powerplant.

Our '79 had a stouter longblock with GM LS6 crate motor pieces (rectangle port heads and intake, 10:1 compression) when we got it. According to Alan's dyno software, it was good for ~370hp with the original stock cam. The new cam, intake and exhaust should put it above 450hp this year.
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2011 at 8:30pm
Just get.    joeny.   To build you a boat!
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 12:50am
Have yet to foot behind the 200, but have wondered if the 200V would be a better choice w/ the ZO6?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic