NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1967 Nautique Interceptor

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1967 Nautique Interceptor
    Posted: May-05-2011 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I was going to offer you an old beige Mustang for that 283, then remembered you already have one. That green Mustang would be a great boat for that engine.

.... bucket list #77.....
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2011 at 1:14pm
Oh yeah Bruce....it would.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2011 at 12:56pm
I was going to offer you an old beige Mustang for that 283, then remembered you already have one. That green Mustang would be a great boat for that engine.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2011 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by TX Wind TX Wind wrote:

Sure would go good with that 283 in it and hey...it would be original.

the real beauty of the SBC is you could build a killer 383 stroker or a 406... both would have serious torque and pretty much look stock.

aahhhhh, it only takes money...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2011 at 12:33pm
Sure would go good with that 283 in it and hey...it would be original.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2011 at 12:30pm

Maybe you should build a Gentleman's Racer and put it in that. That might be nice.

Its on my bucket list.... lets see...ohhhh yeahhh,there it is.. about #76.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2011 at 10:52am
Maybe it was the blue one in the picture? That pic is a few years old. How many Dunphe's can be in ME/NH?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2011 at 8:38am
Bruce,
I don't believe the red upholstered X55 has the 3 2 bbl's I saw. Infact, I think this one has just a 4 bbl. on it. The mod to the dog house isn't long enough for the 3 carbs and the one I saw with the 3 2 bbl's was the original blue.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2011 at 4:41am
Maybe you should build a Gentleman's Racer and put it in that. That might be nice.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2011 at 3:21am
Jeff,

I found that ad on good ol evilbay. It is circa 1958. A little background on the intake/engine.

Cal Connell was a Caddy Dealer in Detroit and started building hi-po Caddy engines in the early/mid 50's under Detroit Racing Equipment. I think alot of the engines were used in Centurys and a few in Chris Craft Cobras.

The story has it that a 50+ foot Chris Craft Constellation ran over 30mph with 3 of the dual quad Caddy engines. The name of that boat was Crusader Rabbit. So they started calling the engines Cadillac Crusaders.

The name stuck and was later shortened to Crusader Marine. In the late 50's they started using some Chevrolet power using the new SBC.

now back to the intake...
I found the intake at a swap meet years ago. The guy did'nt kmow what he had (he did however know its value).... when I asked about the carb mounting angle, he said it was for a gasser! I informed him what it was after I bought it.

As for the 283, I would love to put it in a cracker box sized boat. I thought about using a 327 or even a stroker, but with a small boat...not pulling skiers, really didnt need a lot of cubes. I was after more of the look..plus I love the way we used to wing those 283/302 Chebies!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2011 at 2:46am
Hmmmm....that's a thought Steve...a tempting one at that. The tiny size of the 283 producing that kind of power would probably make for a great hole shot. I like the novelty of the BB though. It's the sort of thing that barefooters love. Kind of like the true predecessor to the BFN. I was looking at the marks left in the carpet by the missing motor cover. Leaves about 16" on each side to walk around. What a true ski boat. Just bare bones braun with almost no interior. Just enough room for the driver, the judge, and the skier to hop out the back.

The fact of the matter is, that with the relative low RPM a ski boat performs at, multi carbs are more of a detriment than a help. I had a tri power 65 GTO when I was in high school. 10.5 second 123 MPH in the quarter (not bad for a 16 year old kid turnin his own wrenches). I never had it dyno tested but I know that it takes a minimum of 505 hp at the wheels to propel that size of a car down the quarter at that speed. I know we broke a Muncie 4spd completely in half that was designed for 650 ft/lbs and in the end the 4 bbl performed better than the tri pack. Fuel metering and synchronization was just too tricky to be consistent and believe me, I was very good at it. LOL, they break enough to keep you that way. I could pull the engine out, break it down to cam bearings, put it back together, stab it back and crank it with hand tools by myself in 3 hours. It's almost funny to look back at it now. I would make my buddies push start us because the compression was so high it would eat starters. Bare bones. No A/C (not so good in TX), no PS, no PB. Just one belt for the essentials. No wonder, I love these old boats.

No guys, I will probably have to keep this one original. I just can't put a hack on it. Hmmmm....now a Century. I just might could bastardize one of those like that.

What boat was running that 283 Crusader Steve?
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2011 at 12:27am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Hmmmmm....I don't know Pete....a 3 deuce 427 might be worth a point. What do you think?

However, you'd have to find a marinizer of a 427 that produced one with the 3 deuce back around 67 then sweet talk the judge for only a 1 point deduction.

Not a big block, but here is a tri power small block documentation...

Heres the intake...

I have the 1967 dated 283 ready to assemble...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 11:49pm
Aaaah....somebody says dual quad, triple deuce, and weber and what do you know....the Boat Doc shows up LOL.

Well Pete, cool part is on these, you don't have to rework the dog house to put stuff like that under there.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 11:46pm
I can see that Billy, just wondering if it was the same one Pete was talking about. The guy that told me about it said he just ran it without the cover.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 11:42pm
Bruce, notice the "hood scoop/ hack job" on the red one.The green one would have the twin YH set up . Not real hard to figure that one ....JMHO...Boat dr
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 11:13pm
Bruce i think the boat was a 67 or 8 and 20k.. thought about selling cc/and harley but am glad i passed
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 10:59pm
Is it the red one on the left? I bet the engine looks cool. How come those boats don;t have windshields?

That's a decent little show. I haven't gone to it for a few years, maybe this year.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I hear there's a Dunphy at the ACBS show in ME each summer with a 312 that's got tripples.

I've seen the pictures. It's real sad the hack job he did on the dog house. Wasn't 55 MPH fast enough for him!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 10:42pm
I've never even seen a picture of one, but I've read they made them.   The FE stuff is really expensive if it's something the Cobra guys also want. 3 deuces is cool. I hear there's a Dunphy at the ACBS show in ME each summer with a 312 that's got tripples.

Peter, I never saw that Century. How much were they asking?

TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 9:52pm
Why yes Bruce, I do believe you're right. I think some of the Chris Crafts had a Weber induction option as well. I just always loved the look of 3 deuces.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 7:53pm
anyone remember the century resorter for sale last yr wth a side oiler 427 dual quad? ..   whats with me and the centuries lately..I need a slap
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 5:06pm
2x4's would be original.
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 4:40pm
Of course I'm being a little tongue in cheek but I have actually considered the tri power set up just because of cool factor when cruising the lake. I'd rather be original though. Now if we could talk Carrol Shelby into Shelbyizing a 1st gen for us....well...now that might be different. Probably fat chance on that...my college roommate's dad was partners with Steve Saleen for a while...maybe a marinized Saleen pkg for the Mustang LOL.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 2:10pm

Hmmmmm....I don't know Pete....a 3 deuce 427 might be worth a point. What do you think?

However, you'd have to find a marinizer of a 427 that produced one with the 3 deuce back around 67 then sweet talk the judge for only a 1 point deduction.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 1:53pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 1:40pm

So you're saying I could put a multi carb 427 in there with a 73? Uh oh...

I think a judge would spot this combination! Then, a point deduction unless you were to back it up with some documentation like a brochure showing the engine option.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 1:00pm
So you're saying I could put a multi carb 427 in there with a 73? Uh oh...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 8:41am
Jeff,
Documentation really depends on the manufacturer of the boat. Chris Craft on one hand is well documented down to the color and type of upholstery. Correct Craft is the opposite. Your lucky to find out what year it was built in! Engine/trans packages were universal to all boats and well documented however the 390/72 was available so no worry.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 4:37am
Pete, I think that's kind of what I'm driving at. In 67 the 352 with a 71 tranny was available from CC. Would the 72 tranny be a problem? I'm learning that the boating industry is not nearly as well documented as the auto industry so the judging is not as critical over these more trivial issues.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 3:34pm
Jeff, when we were trying to sort ours out, I was told that the 390's and 427's came with a 72.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic