Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1967 Nautique Interceptor

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1967 Nautique Interceptor
    Posted: March-29-2011 at 8:43pm
I just purchased my first Correct Craft. It is a 1967 Nautique with the 352 Interceptor option. Is there any info from Correct Craft on how many Nautiques were built in 1967 and how many may have had the Interceptor upgrade? I have never seen another one anywhere. Also, I am wondering about the motor cover. It's missing but the previous owner said it was rotten. I'm assuming it's wooden. I know some of these boats had the wood cover but I thought they were the 318's and not the interceptor. Anybody know about that?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 8:57pm
There are some with the 352/250 HP Interceptors, but it appears not nearly as many as the 318's. Was that the boat on Craig's list last week that appears to be seafoam green, but painted over? Is the engine gold and out of the boat? Can you post some pictures?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 9:00pm
Bruce, thats the boat. It was listed in the diaries as well. Roger said he was corresponding with the seller and said that it was missing the motorbox, and that it went to a guy who drove up from Texas...

The box would have originally been wood over the larger engines like the Chryslers and FE motors. Ive never seen a 1st gen SN as new as a '67 with the 352, but there arent a lot of 1st gens to make that observation worth much. The seat bases and frames would have been made out of wood- the dimensions are posted here on the site somewhere- maybe someone will post a link.

Welcome to CCF!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 9:06pm
Tim, I figured it had to be. It didn't take long to sell. That looked like a great boat to restore! Our motor box for our Intercepor is wood. It appears huge, but when I measured it up it doesn't leave much extra space for that big block Ford.    I'd make sure the engine is a righty before doing much with it. The rotor should spin counter clockwise. If you turn the engine clockwise looking at it from the rear and the rotor spins counter clockwise, it's a RH engine.
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 9:09pm
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to CCF.

Here is a link to the post with the Link to the zip file for the reverse engineered seats for the 60s.

Link to posting

I was looking at this boat as well and think that you got a good one
to bring back.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 10:49pm
You are correct. It is the boat that was on the Craig's List. It now resides near Dallas, TX next to a 35,000 acre reservoir where it will hopefully see more water than it has been.
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 11:17pm
What is the importance of the righty? It is my understanding that a velvet drive can be switched to accomodate either by rotating the front plate or am I mistaken?
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 12:10am
Welcome TX wind.

Congrats on the boat. Good to have another TX member on the site.
83Ski
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 12:24am
Originally posted by TX Wind TX Wind wrote:

What is the importance of the righty? It is my understanding that a velvet drive can be switched to accomodate either by rotating the front plate or am I mistaken?

You are in the right place for learning about your new classic- welcome. The hull is designed to balance out the weight of the driver when the engine is turning clockwise. Pretty cool huh!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
ky82sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ky82sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 12:38am
Congrats on the 67. Welcome to the site. You will learn everything you ever wanted to know about CC boats from these guys.
1982 ski nautique
1966 Al Tyll Skier
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 7:53am
Thanks everyone for the hospitality. I drove 2000 miles through 2 snow storms and 4 thunderstorms in 2 days for this boat. Woulda been quicker if I hadn't stopped in Nashville to see my cousin who insisted on going through a half gallon of Jack (there's something akin to dedication in there). When I left TX it was 85 degrees so I was in my shorts and flip flops when I got to Indiana where it was snowing. The stringers are not the best but hey...this is a first gen big block. It has to be restored all the way to the sea foam green. This is my first Correct Craft. I am about 70% of the way through an 85 Mastercraft and I am loving it. I plan to spend a great deal of time on restoring this Correct Craft. I want it to be right.

So does anyone know just how many Nautiques were built in 1967?

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 8:49am
Originally posted by TX Wind TX Wind wrote:

I too what to welcome you to CCfan. I feel you've found the spot that will be a great help with your project. I'd love to see you do a full true restoration to a classic boat.

The reverse rotation engine all comes down to handling. With the narrow beam of your 1st generation SN, it makes a big difference. Keep it RR.

Yes it's true that a Velvet's pump can be indexed for rotation but keep in mind it does NOT change the direction of rotation. Indexing simply allows the pump to run in the direction it needs to to build pressure.

The CC records are not the greatest. I've never seen a listing of models produced for a given year back then. One of our members is a CC employee so maybe he can get a count and post it. Dave, go for it!!!

When are we going to start seeing some pictures??

If you want, fill in your profile with at least your first name. Unlike other forums, we have a tendency to use them rather than screen names.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 10:43am
Correct Craft put RH engines in their starboard side helm boats and LH engines in their port side helm boats. If you have a LH engine in a starboard side helm boat, the engine was swapped out at sometime for a standard rotation engine. IMO, if it's a LH and the engine runs good, there's no harm in using it, although it won't be correct. If you have to sink money into it anyway, you might as well convert it to RH.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 1:11pm
Bruce, be careful about that statement. "Most" were fitted out as you describe, but the demand was so high for the early Y Blocks that the factory installed inventory on hand.
My boat is a good example of a LHand motor w/ starboard steering, I am sure I do not have the only model rigged as such.......We are talking about CC, and their misson to build 'em and ship out....
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 1:21pm
Congrats on the 67. I have one I am in the midst of restoring/modifying. Stringers are done. Motor is half done. I have a complete interior, including wooden motor box if you ever need measurements or anything.
My tag is SN1486 and was born on 3/11/67. Chrysler 318.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

Congrats on the 67. I have one I am in the midst of restoring/modifying. Stringers are done. Motor is half done. I have a complete interior, including wooden motor box if you ever need measurements or anything.

Mike, when you gonna finnish that thing? Do I need to come up for a weekend and do it myself?!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 1:44pm
Chris,

Be my guest! Plenty of good food and beer await you. I have all the materials even.
I don't know, probably most of it next winter. I will get the motor done and back this summer yet. My wife sort of commandeered my shop this winter for the hogs. I will be negotiating a shared occupancy deal for next winter.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 1:47pm
Hogs? My wife's sister and her husband raised 2 hogs about 20' behind their house this past winter. It would be pretty rugged sharing a shop with them.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 2:18pm
Bruce, He has a different type of "hog".........It will only eat "C" notes, and does not like to get dirty
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 2:22pm
Damn, no wonder he's always smiling.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 2:44pm
Damn good looking Hogs at that!!!
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

Mike I could sure use those measurements and pics if you don't mind.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 12:09am
Jeff,

Send me an email. Will do it this weekend.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 4:55am
Mike, maybe you should drive down with a boat and hand deliver them, the nice weather might prevent a psychotic episode.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The CC records are not the greatest. I've never seen a listing of models produced for a given year back then. One of our members is a CC employee so maybe he can get a count and post it. Dave, go for it!!!

When are we going to start seeing some pictures??

If you want, fill in your profile with at least your first name. Unlike other forums, we have a tendency to use them rather than screen names.

Yes Dave! Please do!

Gosh. You picture whores. The diary will be up now and my computer didn't like cookies so I was having trouble with the profile. It's fixed now.

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 12:49pm
Notice the aura on the driveway from the Generation 1 Ski Nautique...
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 12:58pm
Ahhhh. Yes soak it in.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 3:21pm
Nice trailer! That boat is a great project between its color and the engine. We picked up a basket case of a '68 Barracuda a while back with a 250 HP Interceptor that had been swapped out with a 390. Nothing like an FE block!
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 1:41pm
From a restoration perspective, is it reasonable to stay with the 390 or should I seek out the 352? It's almost impossible to tell the difference without pulling a plug and taking stroke measurements.
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 1:54pm
Many on this site are for original restoration. But all are for getting
these boats on the water where they belong.

IMO... I would tear down the block and make sure that it is indeed rebuildable. If so, I would get that motor together and get that boat in the water for the summer. You have all winter to look for or build a 352 if you feel the need. As you say, it may be a 352 and not the 390 that was advertised.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic