NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1967 Nautique Interceptor

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 11:10pm
I'm sorry Bruce to have underestimated you,I know you are not one to rest on your laurels
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 11:12pm
Notice we made an investment in a leveler. It works great with nylon rope.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 11:17pm
No I didn't see that,I was looking for the extension cord and if your neighbor changed his blue tarp yet
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 11:22pm
Mike Succi, 05210 nailed the description of that photo really well. He picked up on stuff I never even noticed. Must be why all my stuff has to stay on that side of the yard.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 11:27pm
Gary, ROFLMAO     Too Funny
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 11:37pm
Yea,I'll never forget that Bruce,the way he described it just hit my funny bone.
Doc glad I could get you to chuckle,as you get older you don't take things too seriously anymore,time is too short.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 11:49pm
Gary, sure enjoyed the time together at SJRR. Life is TOO SHORT Boat dr
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 5:49pm
Theres a Interceptor on CL in Dallas that came out of a Century... which probably means its a righty. Might want to consider grabbing it!

Edit: upon second glance, I noticed its not an FE. Is it a Y-block?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 6:44pm
Tim,
It looks like a Y block to me. (distributor aft) It also may be a lefty - See it's got a down angle Dearbo on it which will reverse the rotation.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tim,
It looks like a Y block to me. (distributor aft) It also may be a lefty - See it's got a down angle Dearbo on it which will reverse the rotation.

I got home and looked up the engine number in my book. I've run into this before that the numbers really do not match the Interceptor code system plus there isn't a "L" or a "R" indicating rotation. The closest I can ID it is it's a 292, 185HP and a 1963. I'd still say it's a lefty since Century did run RH props and the down angle trans reversing the shaft rotation.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2011 at 12:52am
We summized last year that the 352 was quickly identified by the absence of a front balancer.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2011 at 3:39am
Pete,

He indicates that the carbs (plural) were removed and replaced with a four barrel indicating that it had side draft carbs. Cool feature but that is a feature of only the Y blocks. The FE blocks came with an AFB 4V. Also, 59 would be a bit early for the 352 in a boat I would think but I could be wrong. The engine was in production as early as 58 but I haven't noticed any indications of an FE Interceptor that early on in the 352...perhaps in a 332? I don't know. All that aside, the "carbs" reference gives it away as side drafts from a "Y" block.

As for the numbering from Interceptor. My FE block has no date code that I can find anywhere. This happens to be more common than you might think with engine parts of that era. I don't see why Ford's marine engine division would be any better than their casting division.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2011 at 8:19am
The "N" in the code is there and that indicates it is a 292.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2011 at 10:10am
No doubt a Y block, but it is has a weird number that doesn't make much sense according to their code. The Interceptor Y blocks used an Interceptor timing cover. The Interceptor FE's seem to use a Ford timing cover. That's got the funky old style exhaust manifolds which were from the 50's. What's the 2nd filter for?
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2011 at 3:19pm
It's good to see that 67 found a good home. TX WInd, I have a 63 Nautique with an FE (it's in the Diaries)that I bought as a basket case. The 352 is long gone and I'm putting a 390 in it. I'll look forward to watching your progress.

-Phil

TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2011 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by 70CC 70CC wrote:

It's good to see that 67 found a good home. TX WInd, I have a 63 Nautique with an FE (it's in the Diaries)that I bought as a basket case. The 352 is long gone and I'm putting a 390 in it. I'll look forward to watching your progress.

-Phil

Thanks Phil. I saw your Classic and that's a sweet boat. I know where a complete 352 is minus the carb that came out of 65 Chris Craft if you are interested. The guy wants 500 bucks for it. Has the manifolds on it, so it's worth that much for sure. Would be an easy swap to put a 390 block under it. The heads are basically the same and so is the manifold.

I'm a little concerned about the stringer configuration. The 390 will put out in the 350 to 400 HP range with very little effort. Anybody have thoughts on this since I'm looking at a stringer job anyway?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2011 at 10:27pm
Jeff,
Just following the layup in the stringer threads, a decent job on the wood, epoxy resin and trust me, you will have a hull that can handle way beyond your planned HP. Your stringer job will be WAY beyond what the factory did!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2011 at 1:18am
Hi Jeff,

I'm good (I think) on motors as I have 2. The first one I bought, not such a good deal, was also a frankenstein motor with a heavy non-original 390 FT block and pickup heads. The second, I won on ebay for $100 was a better deal and more complete with an FE 390 block. Both came with aluminum exhaust manifolds, so when I'm done I should have a few spare parts. The Barracuda (similar to Classic) now belongs to my friend Dave (Beentowed)

-Phil
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 9:35pm
I see that Mike was able to get a born on date with his SN 1486 serial number. These hulls have no hull I.D. My serial# is SN 1498. I'm just taking a shot in the dark here but I am guessing that the SN is for Ski Nautique and the 1 could possibly be a first gen marker? I've seen some #'s for earlier models and they were similar. I doubt seriously that CC was putting out 1500 Nautiques in a year back then. Can anyone help with this? And what information is available....if any...from CC regarding the boat and what options it was equipped with?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 11:03pm
Jeff,
The early system of IDing the hulls weren't the best but, the "SN" does stand for Ski Nautique. The serial numbers were sequential and not by years.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 6:35am
Pete,

I saw a 63 or 4 with an ID of SN 12xx. Thats why I am assuming the numbering did not start at 0001.

I'm really in the initial stages of the restoration on this boat. I fully intend to "keep it original" and since you are Mr. Original, I have some ACBS perspective to gain here. The larger 390 is going to pump out a bit more power, my understanding is 300 without really trying much. That will exceed the 71 series V drive capacity. I have purchased a late model 72. Will that be an acceptable ACBS upgrade? I'm assuming glassing the floor in and "no foam" will be acceptable as well from reading your suggestions in the stringer threads?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 8:48am
Jeff,
The 390 hooked up to a 72 would not be a problem. If judged, you would not get a point deduction for not having the original engine since it's one that was available in the SN that year. FYI, if it wasn't available but still appropriate for the year, it would be a 2 point deduction. If modern power, then 7 points!!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 3:34pm
Jeff, when we were trying to sort ours out, I was told that the 390's and 427's came with a 72.
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 4:37am
Pete, I think that's kind of what I'm driving at. In 67 the 352 with a 71 tranny was available from CC. Would the 72 tranny be a problem? I'm learning that the boating industry is not nearly as well documented as the auto industry so the judging is not as critical over these more trivial issues.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 8:41am
Jeff,
Documentation really depends on the manufacturer of the boat. Chris Craft on one hand is well documented down to the color and type of upholstery. Correct Craft is the opposite. Your lucky to find out what year it was built in! Engine/trans packages were universal to all boats and well documented however the 390/72 was available so no worry.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 1:00pm
So you're saying I could put a multi carb 427 in there with a 73? Uh oh...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by TX Wind TX Wind wrote:

So you're saying I could put a multi carb 427 in there with a 73? Uh oh...

I think a judge would spot this combination! Then, a point deduction unless you were to back it up with some documentation like a brochure showing the engine option.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 1:53pm
Hmmmmm....I don't know Pete....a 3 deuce 427 might be worth a point. What do you think?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by TX Wind TX Wind wrote:

Hmmmmm....I don't know Pete....a 3 deuce 427 might be worth a point. What do you think?

However, you'd have to find a marinizer of a 427 that produced one with the 3 deuce back around 67 then sweet talk the judge for only a 1 point deduction.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2011 at 4:40pm
Of course I'm being a little tongue in cheek but I have actually considered the tri power set up just because of cool factor when cruising the lake. I'd rather be original though. Now if we could talk Carrol Shelby into Shelbyizing a 1st gen for us....well...now that might be different. Probably fat chance on that...my college roommate's dad was partners with Steve Saleen for a while...maybe a marinized Saleen pkg for the Mustang LOL.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic