Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

5.8 Pro-boss wont start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Allin2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allin2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5.8 Pro-boss wont start
    Posted: March-31-2011 at 10:51am
Hello all,

My 96 nautique with Ford 5.8 pro-boss wont start once in a while.
In about 50% of the time the wont start cold. When its warm it's no problem.

Spark is okay, Injection is about 35psi.
The dealer cant find it. Can anyone help me?

Sorry for my english i'm from the Netherlands.

THNX
No Water, No Life!
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 11:30am
In the reference section there is a manual for your motor. In it there's a diagnosis section. Try section 3C-5
You may be able to figure it out with that, or at least give your mechanic some places to start.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 4:53pm
The Pro Boss has a carburetor right? I always understood the Pro-Boss to be the GT-40 heads but carbureted.

If you do have a carb, is your electric choke setting?

Again, if you have a carb, when you give it a couple pumps with your shift, throttle lever, is the accelerator pump giving good shots of gas?

Is the boat cranking nice and strong (battery/electrical)?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

The Pro Boss has a carburetor right?

Not necessarily, no.

PCM put the Pro Boss name on all of the HO 351w's. That included carb and TBI motors. I believe it was also present on the GT40 MPEFI shrouds, though theyre more commonly referred to as "GT40" motors rather than "Pro Boss". The fact that he has 35psi of fuel pressure somewhere makes me think that he does in fact have the MPEFI GT40.

Actually, PCM may even have put the "Pro Boss" name on some mid-late 90's Chevy's.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 5:45pm
^^I learn something new literally every day I'm on here.^^

So basically, the 'Pro-Boss' label could apply to any higher HP motor made during the 90s.

I guess we'd need a few more details about the motor and the circumstances of it not starting to give any more specific advice.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 6:17pm
Correction- PCM put the Pro Ski moniker on both Ford and Chevy motors in the 90's. I believe they were all TBI motors. To make it confusing, not all TBI motors were called Pro Ski though... the TBI HO 351w was just called a Pro Boss. I think I confused myself.

Pro Boss was only used on the HO 351w's.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 6:23pm
Keith's boat is a Carb'd 285 hp, 351 Ford ProBoss. I think that's how I got the idea in my head that all ProBoss's were that.
Kieth's in Diaries

But I guess they could still be TBI or Carbureted then.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 6:25pm
Tim,

Did you sell your 90? I know you had done some mods to it. Was that originally a Pro-Boss or traditional 240hp?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 6:43pm
Correct, the Ford TBI motors were only available in '94-95. The carb motors were offered along side them, and both HO versions were called Pro Boss. The GT40 debuted in '95.

My '90 was originally 240hp. The Proboss didnt debut until 1992. Ive still got the boat- its not going anywhere anytime soon.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 10:54pm
So to get this back on track...

Allin, is your boat TBI (throttle body injected) or MPI (multiport fuel injected)??? maybe a pic would help.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 10:07am
i thought i took things way out to left field,

first thought, temp sending unit its parralled with the efi, and will effect running or starting
"the things you own will start to own you"
Allin2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allin2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 11:20am
Hello thanks for all your reply's on my post.
I've a MPI with 310HP

It wont start when its cold, after running it will start directly!!!
No Water, No Life!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 12:34pm
Well, eventually it starts cold so can you describe how that happens? Try again in 10, 30, 60 minutes?
Allin2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allin2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 1:06pm
Thanks hollywood,

When it's cold it starts in about 10 min.

After the first start, it will start in 1 sec. as long as the engine is warm.
No Water, No Life!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 1:21pm
I still don't understand what you mean. What is different about the first cold turn of the key vs the one 10 minutes later? You can't possibly be cranking it for 10 straight mintues.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 1:23pm
Not to get further into left field. But isn't the 310hp MPI engine considered the GT40 and not the Pro-Boss?

These have some kind of fuel control cell business right?

Is there some kind of check valve or something that's not holding pressure? Like, maybe it's taking a while to get fuel initially?
Allin2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allin2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 1:27pm
When i start it cold, it takes about 5 min at least before its starts! after 5 min it firing up a little bit. and then it starts.

Yes it's a GT40!
No Water, No Life!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 1:37pm
We may have gotten a bit OT, but at least we dug up the fact that he has a GT40 MPEFI! Thats an important piece of information.

Brian, youre correct that the Multiport engine is commonly referred to the "GT40". Like I stated above, I believe most, if not all, also have the "Pro Boss" moniker on the engine shroud.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 1:58pm
How many times do you have to turn the key to crank the engine, and how long is it cranking each time?
Allin2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allin2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 2:12pm
It only starts when i turn the key for 1 long time, like more than 5 min. I specially placed 2 battery's for starting!

After 5 min, its starts up realy slowly!
No Water, No Life!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 2:19pm
Wow, that is not right at all. I'm no GT40 expert but it sounds like you have a fuel pressure issue. There are a handful of guys on here that know those fuel systems well, rename the title of this thread something like "GT40 no start" and they might chime in.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 2:23pm
Might want to go ahead and order you a new starter...cranking it over for 5 minutes solid!?! Starters aren't meant for that.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Allin2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allin2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 2:24pm
Hollywood, thanks!
No Water, No Life!
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 3:15pm
From reading the GT-40 engine manual in the reference section, I'm guessing it could be either your ACT sensor or the ECT sensor.

There are sensors on that motor that feeds info to the ECA so it advances the timing for cold starting vs. warm starting.

You could also try swapping the relays on the back of the motor and see if one controls the cold start mode (I'm not sure)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic