NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buying a Brand New Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

I'd be careful with that one. I have seen it online for quite some time. Looks like it may have been a salty boat? kinda dirty on the inside, looks like some bottoms have been recovered? I dunno...if you were thinking new, this would definitely be a downgrade. IMO

Salt...in WI?!

I'd be more worried about the snap on cover.   
robertbruder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 4:01pm
They told me that one just sold. I kind of like the idea of keeping the Martinique for this season and making a purchase towards the end of the season. Not sure how that would play out but it can't hurt and it will give me a chance to save up a little more for a down payment.
Current: 1988 Sierra Supreme
Past: 1986 Correct Craft Martinique, 1984 Ski Supreme, 1984 Bare Foot Nautique
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by robertbruder robertbruder wrote:

2003 SAN 210

Something like this might be ideal. Any reason to go for new over this? I like the color scheme and it has the Flight Control Tower, and Ballast, I could always have perfect pass installed.

I'd be careful with that one. I have seen it online for quite some time. Looks like it may have been a salty boat? kinda dirty on the inside, looks like some bottoms have been recovered? I dunno...if you were thinking new, this would definitely be a downgrade. IMO
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 3:06pm
2003 SAN 210

Something like this might be ideal. Any reason to go for new over this? I like the color scheme and it has the Flight Control Tower, and Ballast, I could always have perfect pass installed.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 3:04pm
Back to the whole family and boating theme. Here is my favorite video of all time. I know its been posted a couple times before, but there are always new folks here and I continue to be a doting parent. Boating and family....doesn't get any better. The only sad thing is the little girl graduates college in a month and the little boy is 6'3" tall and graduating from High school in s couple months. Where did the time go? At least I made the time when I did and have the memories.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by robertbruder robertbruder wrote:

The best case would be like I did with my truck, 1 year old 10,000 miles. If I could find a boat in that type of scenario it may be worth looking into as opposed to purchasing a Sport Nautique this year and then trying to sell it next year and getting a Super Sport and selling that the next year and getting into a SAN the next year...

Robert, I'd go visit the CC dealer closest to you. Tell him exactly what you wrote above. You might find out he has a leftover 2010 he'd love to move, or an owner that wants to upgrade after a year or two. You never know what he might come up with for you.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 2:38pm
N3 Boatworks Pre Owned

Maybe I should just take the Martinique up to Mark at N3 Boatworks and see if I can get any trade in or consignment. They have a Martinique similiar to mine in hours and condition listed at $8900. There are a couple of Air Nautiques listed in their pre-owned inventory that would fit the 5-year old rule the bank told me. Anyone see any disadvantages to this approach?
Any reason to buy new as opposed semi-used?

With Lauderdale Lakes moving to Chicago, I would be willing to drive the 3 hours to check out their inventory as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 2:29pm
Family wise I agree a boat is great just not sure about the infants. My nephew just turned 7 which is the perfect boating age. Up until age 5 he seemed to have little inerest in the boat, but then again I didn't get to see him every weekend.

When I was in college I met a lot of guys from the lakes around my house and I remember great lake parties and summers were we would do a lakes tour where we would rotate houses/boats each weekend and wakeboard all day. Quite possibly the most fun a person can have.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 2:23pm
As far as towing wise, I am not going to become a professional wakeboarder, so the newest hull design etc may not be that much of a concern. V-Drive, built-in ballast, FCT, and Perfect Pass would be nice features to have that I do not currently have on the Martinique.

The main reason for consideration of purchase of a new boat is that the bank I talked to said they won't finance a boat older than 5 years old.

The best case would be like I did with my truck, 1 year old 10,000 miles. If I could find a boat in that type of scenario it may be worth looking into as opposed to purchasing a Sport Nautique this year and then trying to sell it next year and getting a Super Sport and selling that the next year and getting into a SAN the next year...
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

New - pay $70,000 or pay $8,000 and finance the rest, or something inbetween. Run boat for 10 years, at that point value for sale or trade is $28,000. Assume nothing beyond routine maintenance is needed. Total cost of ownership after sale is $42,000. (I'm not including interest if boat is financed, which would add to the total).

I'm not sure if I'm missing anything here, and the numbers are a guess but seem to me to make sense. One big factor I'm ignoring is that maybe the new boat is a much better boat for the purpose, depends on the models we're talking about and intended use.

Thoughts?

Again it really depends on what you are buying, in Roberts case a V-Drive. As an example in 01' a Super Air well appointed on a decent buy would have been around 40k, take a look in the diary's and see what the average asking price is for that same boat, my guess would be probably 25-30k range. The current market has the V's fetching more money, may not be the case in 10 yrs but whose to know.

Totally agree with the newer boats performing better for their intended purpose, assuming that purpose is primarily for towed water sports, that value is whatever the buyer sets it at, for me that has always been a significant factor in my buying decisions as my use is probably 90% towing.

Don't get me wrong, used can be an great approach $ wise, my first boat, 77' SN, sold for $1.5k more then purchase price after 6-7 seasons.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 1:50pm
My two brothers and I both love the boat. Their wife and wife-to-be, respectively both love the boat. My gf claims she likes boats, waitin' to see this summer. My nephew will be 1 1/2 this summer; old enough to know what's going on. Can't wait to see how he likes it.

Already have the Sport Nautique seed planted in my brain.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Despite what some of these guys are saying buying new does not need to cost you big money or much more then used, you need to get into the boat at a good number and keep it nice. I certainly agree that financing a toy is never a good idea and if you do go with at least 50% down and on the shortest terms you can handle, that way if you need to get out fast you can without owing and the short terms will cost you so much less in the end.

I'm not at all against buying new CC's, after all someone has to buy them the first time!

Here's what I see, let me know if you disagree. Let's take the example of buying a new CC for $70,000, or a used 10 year old boat for $20,000.

New - pay $70,000 or pay $8,000 and finance the rest, or something inbetween. Run boat for 10 years, at that point value for sale or trade is $28,000. Assume nothing beyond routine maintenance is needed. Total cost of ownership after sale is $42,000. (I'm not including interest if boat is financed, which would add to the total).

Used - pay $20,000, run boat for 10 years, at that point value for sale or trade is $8,000. Assume maintenance cost, beyond routine maintenance, of $6,000 over those 10 years. Total cost of ownership after sale is $18,000.

I'm not sure if I'm missing anything here, and the numbers are a guess but seem to me to make sense. One big factor I'm ignoring is that maybe the new boat is a much better boat for the purpose, depends on the models we're talking about and intended use.

Thoughts?

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 12:49pm
I know, I was just playin!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 12:48pm
it is a malibu
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 12:45pm
^^^^^ That looks a lot like a Malibu.........................

I came home on weekends while at college to be on the river with my fam. That has to say something!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 12:44pm
I have changed diapers on a boat many, many times. I'm glad that's over though. My daughters have been behind the boat since they were 3 and 1.5 years old. I'm not suggesting you buy a new boat, just saying don't let the idea of having kids prevent you from getting on the water.

They have to be changed, fed and nap anyway. They might as well do it sitting on the lake.

Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 12:27pm
Keep in mind it's not like Robert doesn't have a boat, he's got the Martinique. But, I agree if you have the bug to move to a newer boat more suited for you use, do it NOW, don't wait.

It's the little stuff with kids and boats that can be so much fun. A few times last summer my 2 younger kids, 7 and 12 then, asked if we could have lunch on the boat (we're sitting in the yard at the time). We headed to the public dock, walked to the store and bought a few slices of pizza and drinks, headed out on the lake, stopped and drifted. We had lunch, they sat on the platform for a while, just a great time doing almost nothing, time with the kids. You can't beat it, it's pretty close to my favorite thing to do in the world.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 12:24pm
Nothing puts a baby to sleep faster than a boat ride. They may hate the infant life jacket, but they're out for the count once you get going. There may be a few tough years where you don't get out as much as you like, but after that your kids will want to live in an inboard.

I've bought one new boat and would do it again. Payments in the winter remind you of what's in store for summer. I'd rather have a boat payment than a car payment. My kids are mostly grown up and they still like to be with their parents in the boat, and they don't even need us to go boating. One of the best things a young family can do.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 12:12pm
Just buy the darn boat... No good time, no bad time, and if you think to much, you'll never pull the trigger.. Life is way to short.. Just do it. Sell the damn thing if you have to. Only "one" thing "you" have to be married to...

Had my kids in a boat right after coming out of the oven.. They will die to sit in the bow of any boat, ski and swim anytime. Putting up with the hassles at the ramp, crappy weather, 3 month summers, payments.. blah blah. Best thing in the world.

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 9:11am
+1 as Tim said great family memories that they and you will remember forever.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 12:46am
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

NOW, we have so much fun with the boat as a family. Nothing better then seeing your kids hit there goals skiing, or just jumping off the platform splashing and having fun. Wouldn't trade that time or the girls for the world!

I'll second that Steve!

My first boat was a Procraft Fish N Ski but one of the first things I did was by a bimini for it as I wanted Sun protection for my little ones. Both girls were in the boat as soon as they could wear an infant jacket.

UPGRADED to a 88 SN in 2001 and now its 15 and 12 years later and they both swim like fishes and wakeboard, kneeboard all summer long. They too love to stop, toss out the anchor and they too love jumping off the platform and enjoy haing a picnic lunch on the boat.

Don't let anyone ever tell you that boats aren't infant friendly or it's a bad idea. It truly is a wonderful family experience that create so many great memories.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 12:05am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Always puzzling to me talk of family/kids and boats don't mix, it has been the exact opposite for me on both sides of that equation.

Chris - I think I kind of started that, and you know me, now it is one of our biggest family events - a day on the boat. I was just thinking back to the the years when my girls were being born. Those first nine months were brutal, no sleep, constant feeding, diaper changes, etc. Then there would be about a 6 months window, and the wife would be pregnant, sick all the time to tired to deal with the baby. Then the next little one would come along and it would start all over again.

Looking back, I just don't see a lot of time that we would have had to use the boat. NOW, we have so much fun with the boat as a family. Nothing better then seeing your kids hit there goals skiing, or just jumping off the platform splashing and having fun. Wouldn't trade that time or the girls for the world!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 4:56pm
Thanks to everyone for the wisdom. Truly I just need to plan a year or two for this purchase and then make it happen. If I can just keep from scratching the itch until it makes financial since for me I'll be alright

There is still the side of me that says $100k could buy a lot of cool classic CC's as well.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 4:51pm
Robert,

Always puzzling to me talk of family/kids and boats don't mix, it has been the exact opposite for me on both sides of that equation. When the kids are really young and not really able to wear a floatation device obviously greater care needs to be taken however once they can wear a PFD it's all good, even better when they are able to swim. As far as the sun, a good bimini and no worries there.

Despite what some of these guys are saying buying new does not need to cost you big money or much more then used, you need to get into the boat at a good number and keep it nice. I certainly agree that financing a toy is never a good idea and if you do go with at least 50% down and on the shortest terms you can handle, that way if you need to get out fast you can without owing and the short terms will cost you so much less in the end.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by crobi2 crobi2 wrote:

Yes, she even drives for me!!!!

Wow you must really love and trust your wife.

I'm in the process of turning my girlfriend into a "Water" person.

Hopefully one day purchasing a new SAN for cash will be a possibility. Definitely not this season though.

I guess part of this thread is just to be curious as to how many people actually buy a new Inboard each year. My other thread about the thesis would suggest around 10,000 or so are sold each year, 1500 of which are CC.
crobi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crobi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 2:58pm
@Robert

Yes, she even drives for me!!!!

When the kids are little bitty you've got to keep dumping water on them and have an electric fan to keep them cool and have some way to keep them in the shade. But before you know it they're out there riding!!

We kind of got our first boat with the idea of having our family on it together for as long as we can do it. The oldest now brings a couple of his friends on - I like it because it keeps them around our influence instead of somewhere else.

By the way, I am a firm supporter of buying a used boat for cash unless you can buy a new boat for cash. The used ones are good because you usually have to tear into them to fix tons of little things and learn how to change all of the fluids, impeller, alignment, electronics and stuff that helps you understand how it all works and will help you when she finally does break down on you. All of the work also helps to make her yours.

Finally, if having trouble pushing the button, consider that none of us are getting any younger....
Lauderdale Lakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lauderdale Lakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 11:56am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

i would bet the banks want a full 20% down nowadays

10% on a new boat financed out 15 years.
"We can't change the wind, but we can adjust our sails"
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 11:30am
10,000 cases of beer .. screw the boat
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 10:51am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

disposable income?     to compare apples to apples, if you finance a 90k boat over the term, you'll end up out of pocket at about 115k, fck the warranty, if you purchase that same boat used at 50k, and out of pocket 60k or so the difference is roughly 55k....consider the value lost as you walk out the door on new...let someone else take that 50k hit.
now were talking 50 thousand dollars difference, you can purchase a rider insurance policy to cover any type of repair with that 50k, sht, 50k will buy you 5 engine swaps, 4000 tanks of gas, 10000 cases of beer, a Denalli to pull that pig...actually you could buy a back up boat if that one breaks.
put it on paper, I know new is nice, but...........

I know this is such a personal question and many people finance these 90k+ boats, but I couldn't agree more with Eric's logic. I suspect many of the folks buying these boats have the power to stroke a check for them. Sorry to all of the dealers on this thread, but there's no way I would sink that kind of money into a new boat, car, motor home or anything else that will lose value as soon as I'm done signing my name. Money is kind of hard to get, so use it to get the most value you can and save it when you get a chance. I'm a big fan of having fun with it though!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 9:52am
i would bet the banks want a full 20% down nowadays
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic