Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buying a Brand New Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
robertbruder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying a Brand New Boat
    Posted: March-31-2011 at 2:45pm
Disclaimer: I'm sure this has been covered on the forums in the past any directions towards previous posts would be appreciated.

Has anyone on here purchased a brand new Nautique in the past 3 years?

Just curious as to the pro's / con's of purchasing new vs slightly used.
Current: 1988 Sierra Supreme
Past: 1986 Correct Craft Martinique, 1984 Ski Supreme, 1984 Bare Foot Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 3:18pm
So many factors to your question, which model, do you have very specific requirements like color/motor, etc., timeline, etc.

Buying new you can get exactly what you want in every detail, I have found ordering the previous fall dealers appear more willing to negotiate on price.

There have been some great deals out there on used recently its just a matter of finding one that fits your wants/needs.

When buying new I think the longer you hold onto the boat the lower the cost of ownership ends up being (assuming it is well cared for of course).

Really don't think there is a huge difference in either scenario in terms of overall cost other then purchasing new eliminates repair costs for the first five years.

Looking for a Ski or Wake boat?
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 3:43pm
Buying new does have it's benifets. The 5 year warranty is peice of mind. I have used my warranty for little odds and ends that some might overlook. It also alllows you to order the boat with every little detail you want(there are alot). With the market the way it is though, I would think one could find a "near perfect" used boat that's still under warranty and save alot of money.
...those who have fallen and those who will.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 4:36pm
I have been looking at Super Air Nautiques.

I'm not real picky. As long as it is made by Correct Craft it would probably be good enough for me. I would like a v-drive with a factory ballast system and tower so that would be the basis of a Super Air vs a Super Sport and an open bow is a must for me.

So I guess it comes down to spend $25 - $30 on a 2000 - 2005 model vs $90 on a new model.

Basically I have the Martinique and a couple of Sea-Doos I could sell that would be worth about $12,500 which is mid 90's Sport Nautique range. As I do not have an additional $20 - $80k just sitting in the bank I would be looking at financing.

So the options would be Sport Nautique (no v-drive) no financing required. Used SAN financing harder to come by for a 10 year old boat, or new SAN dealer financing available (?).

Or (Please don't shoot) lower end manufacturer more wallet friendly new boat.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 4:40pm
It seems like V-Drive open bows are becoming more and more the norm. You should probably have a lot of options out there both new and used.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 4:47pm
Kell (AllianceLBJ) has bought his third new Super Air in two years and could prob lend some advice, I'm sure he'll chime in in a bit. Financing options are limitless given descent credit. Better deals are made at the end of year, alot of dealers do not want to pay storage / winterizing on a boat over the off season and want to move inventory.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 5:42pm
Are there any leasing options? I mean let's say I wanted a new boat every 3 years? Do I just finance it for 3 years and then get trade in value and take the hit?
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 6:38pm
Not that I'm aware of.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 8:50pm
my brother in law bought a new a new malibu in i think 05or 06? in 2 yrs they did a major motor repair . If i remember right a head and tranny was out and repaired or replaced twice in the first two summers. thank god for the new warranty. oh and they ended up gving him the price he had paid 3 yrs earlier in trade for a 08. sounds like it was a lemon....
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 10:33pm
Like CQ said depends on alot of things. I will say that when i bought mine (late 05) i got a great deal because we were heading into winter and the boat was about to become a holdover. I could have bought the same boat, used with less equipment, a year older, for $2k less( same dealer) Didnt make alot of sense to me. Alot has changed since then though.
If i sold that boat today, for half what i paid for it ( no JoeinNY, thats not an offer ) i would look at it more as money well spent for the memories vs money lost on a toy. Its all about your outlook on cost of enjoyment. If you dont feel financially comfortable buying new than look for a well cared for used one. Chances a you'll have no issues with it if you do your homework. I'm glad i bought when i did because things have changed for me and there is no way i could go out and buy a new wakeboat now. That 05 was probably the last new one for me. Sorry about the grammar, this Ipad can be a pita to type with. Good luck in your search.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by robertbruder robertbruder wrote:

Are there any leasing options? I mean let's say I wanted a new boat every 3 years? Do I just finance it for 3 years and then get trade in value and take the hit?

Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

Not that I'm aware of.

You know, there might be, but I'm not sure if they apply to the general public. Two summers ago I taught wakeboarding/waterskiing and we had a Malibu iRide. Plus two non-inboard beaters. The camp director was pretty tight lipped about financial details, but the rumor was the Malibu was on a lease.

Camps put a lot of use on a boat in a short time. And, they can't have throngs of disappointed campers waiting on the dock while a boat gets repaired, so they need to be constantly running a new one.

I think Malibu let them do this largely because it gets the boat out there. Sometimes some of the kids parents will turn around and buy a Malibu, because their kid loved the boat and wakeboarding so much at camp.

Also, the camp may overpay a bit in the long run for the privilege of constant brand new-ness. It's on the camp to not damage the boat, then all the dealer has to do is do a service, and vacuum out the buckets of sand, and they can sell it as a regular used boat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

I'm glad i bought when i did because things have changed for me and there is no way i could go out and buy a new wakeboat now.
Mike

Mike,

Good points. My business partner and my father have both told me that if I am going to buy one to do it before I start a family or else it will never happen.

The major concerns I would have would be holding that type of debt when trying to purchase a house. Would this be considered negative debt that would look bad on a Home Loan App? My assumption would be with 10-15% down in equity it wouldn't look all that bad.

The other issue I have is that I hate financing vehicles / toys. My truck and my education are the only things I have ever financed in my life and the truck will be paid off in 6 months. So the decision will be do I swap a truck payment for a boat payment in 6 months or do I hold out for a year and put what would have been my truck payment into my boat fund?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 12:56pm
Brian,

Interesting. I think a lease would be the way I would want to go with it if at all possible. 3 years seems to be my attention span on just about anything.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 1:07pm
Just before I bought my boat, I posed the question of whether having a boat and motorcycle were too many toys and got a lot of cool responses:
Boat and Motorcycle too Much?

I decided the sell the motorcycle to avoid having boat payments and I'm really glad I did. I used the boat more in one summer than I had used the Harley in the last four summers.

It's nice too not have the boat payment with the other basic expenses gas etc. that come with boating.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 1:15pm
Oh man, not to sound preachy but seriously re-think that boat vs. house thing. You have to think of a house as an investment, especially with housing prices down right now.

Now I am sure there a lot more financially savy people on this site then me, but this is the way I look at it. You have to pay rent - so if you consider that money a sunk cost. On our first house, we put $10k into it (1994 - wow that seems like a long time ago)as a down payment. We paid mortgage and mortgage insurance for 3 years at which point the house had increased in value enough that we no longer had to pay mortgage insurance. Five years after that we sold the house (under market value) for $70k more then what we bought it. Thats a pretty good return on a $10k investment over 8 years. Now in the 8 years since we bought this house the market has remained flat and our house may be worth even a little less but I have been able to deduct the interest on the loan and the property taxes on my federal and state income tax. So I look at it as I get some of my "rent" (mortgage payment) back.

Again can't comment on what a boat loan would do to your credit score or your debt to income ratios, but I think getting into a home (even a townhouse or condo...) should be very near to the top of the priority list. Again, I apologize if this comes off preachy...
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 1:19pm
Oh, that boat with a family thing. Also not necessarily true, it just comes down to priorities. I had that boat dream for a LONG, LONG time. We finally were able to make it come true 2 or so years ago, that's with 3 kids, then at perfect ages for skiing, 6, 9 & 11.

Thinking back during the baby years, if we had owned a boat, the opportunities to use it would have been few and far in between, would have spent a lot of time sitting in the garage.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 4:59pm

Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

I'm glad i bought when i did because things have changed for me and there is no way i could go out and buy a new wakeboat now.
Mike

Mike,

Good points. My business partner and my father have both told me that if I am going to buy one to do it before I start a family or else it will never happen.

The major concerns I would have would be holding that type of debt when trying to purchase a house. Would this be considered negative debt that would look bad on a Home Loan App? My assumption would be with 10-15% down in equity it wouldn't look all that bad.

The other issue I have is that I hate financing vehicles / toys. My truck and my education are the only things I have ever financed in my life and the truck will be paid off in 6 months. So the decision will be do I swap a truck payment for a boat payment in 6 months or do I hold out for a year and put what would have been my truck payment into my boat fund?

A credit line payment(boat) and a morg. payment are different and both benifet your credit. So do revolving credit lines when payed off timely like major credit cards or large retail cards. You could actually see your credit improve.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

A credit line payment(boat) and a morg. payment are different and both benifet your credit. So do revolving credit lines when payed off timely like major credit cards or large retail cards. You could actually see your credit improve.

That may be true, but I would also expect one's max borrowing power to be reduced significantly (in the eyes of a lender) if there is a substantial boat payment due every month.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 6:08pm
Agree, everyones credit to debt ratio varies.
AllianceBJJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllianceBJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 7:20pm
Everyone says the depreciation on a new boat will kill you....but 3 SANTEs in 2 1/2 years (1 used, 2 new). Didn't lose a dime on any of them. Just have to buy the right thing. Nautique.

Ask the dealer if he knows of anyone looking to get out of a newer model boat. This is how I got out of my last 2 boats. I told them that I would consider a new one, but only if they could sell my old one first. They found folks that had been looking for what I was wanting to get rid of.

Dealer may have more power over the price of a new boat these days(most used right now on dealer lots are on consignment due to limited credit availability for dealers to floorplan trade ins).

2013 G23

2012 SANTE 230 - sold

2011 SANTE 230 - Sold

2010 SANTE 210 - sold

2006 SANTE 210 - sold
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2011 at 1:37am

Mike,

I bought my boat after I started a family, so I can't tell you it wont happen if you wait. I also already had a home. In all honesty , I dont feel that having a boat payment would hinder your ability to get a home loan as long as your credit scores and debt to income is in line. If you are responsible and the bank can see that you should be ok. You just have to ask yourself if it is something worth risking. How far off in the future could a home be etc. If your thinking a year or two, it may be wise to start with a lower budget and upgrade after the home. There can be alot of hidden expense when owning property . It wouldnt be much fun to buy a new boat, only to have to sell it in a year because you need to buy a home or maintain a home and can no longer afford the boat. Its always more fun to upgrade than downgrade.

Mike

Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2011 at 10:07am
disposable income?     to compare apples to apples, if you finance a 90k boat over the term, you'll end up out of pocket at about 115k, fck the warranty, if you purchase that same boat used at 50k, and out of pocket 60k or so the difference is roughly 55k....consider the value lost as you walk out the door on new...let someone else take that 50k hit.
now were talking 50 thousand dollars difference, you can purchase a rider insurance policy to cover any type of repair with that 50k, sht, 50k will buy you 5 engine swaps, 4000 tanks of gas, 10000 cases of beer, a Denalli to pull that pig...actually you could buy a back up boat if that one breaks.
put it on paper, I know new is nice, but...........
"the things you own will start to own you"
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2011 at 8:02pm
I'm with Eric on this one. The amazing value of used boats/cars/bikes/etc. is a pretty compelling argument. You mentioned mid '90's Sport Nautiques. Go late '90's, GT-40 in great condition, high teens is considered a bit high priced. Buy a boat like that, you'll easily run it for 5 years with reasonable maintenance, maybe spend another $4,000 on it. A new boat may not owe you anything if you trade it for another new boat, but you spent the 90 grand no matter how you do the math.

My opinion is save the borrowing power for the house, get a great value on a used boat.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 9:30am
I will revise the 2 happiest days of a boat owner, the day the bank says yes, and the day you get rid of the payment, remember you will probably have to go on a 10 year note, and last time i checked boating season is roughly about 6 months long.......and the payments keep coming every month, plus full coverage insurance

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 1:16pm
All thanks for the discussion and input. I hadn't given much thought to the idea that I wouldn't be using the boat that much once I do decide to start a family. That is probably in the cards for the next 10 years and a 10 year note on a boat when there is a large likely hood that I wouldn't use the boat for 3-5 of those ten years doesn't add up. Looks like I should consider purchasing new in about 2020 provided the world doesn't end in 2012. For now I am going to focus on paying for an open bow v-drive in cash.

Thanks again,
Rob
crobi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crobi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 8:08pm
I'm not so sure about the family thing. My oldest was in the boat at 6 months of age (only because the engine wasn't in it until then) and my next kid was in the boat at 6 weeks of age. It was tons of fun and incredibly great memories. In fact, thank you for making me remember!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertbruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by crobi2 crobi2 wrote:

I'm not so sure about the family thing. My oldest was in the boat at 6 months of age (only because the engine wasn't in it until then) and my next kid was in the boat at 6 weeks of age. It was tons of fun and incredibly great memories. In fact, thank you for making me remember!

You must have a cool wife. My buddy's wife freaked out about it being to much time in the sun etc..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 9:52am
i would bet the banks want a full 20% down nowadays
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 10:51am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

disposable income?     to compare apples to apples, if you finance a 90k boat over the term, you'll end up out of pocket at about 115k, fck the warranty, if you purchase that same boat used at 50k, and out of pocket 60k or so the difference is roughly 55k....consider the value lost as you walk out the door on new...let someone else take that 50k hit.
now were talking 50 thousand dollars difference, you can purchase a rider insurance policy to cover any type of repair with that 50k, sht, 50k will buy you 5 engine swaps, 4000 tanks of gas, 10000 cases of beer, a Denalli to pull that pig...actually you could buy a back up boat if that one breaks.
put it on paper, I know new is nice, but...........

I know this is such a personal question and many people finance these 90k+ boats, but I couldn't agree more with Eric's logic. I suspect many of the folks buying these boats have the power to stroke a check for them. Sorry to all of the dealers on this thread, but there's no way I would sink that kind of money into a new boat, car, motor home or anything else that will lose value as soon as I'm done signing my name. Money is kind of hard to get, so use it to get the most value you can and save it when you get a chance. I'm a big fan of having fun with it though!
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 11:30am
10,000 cases of beer .. screw the boat
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic